Car Bomb Defused In London

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
LONDON, England (CNN) -- Police in London say they have deactivated a bomb packed with nails and capable of creating huge casualties, raising renewed fears of a terrorist strike almost two years after the city was hit by deadly suicide bombers.

The device, consisting of 200 liters of fuel, gas cylinders and nails linked to a triggering mechanism, was found in a car in Haymarket, in the city's busy nightclub and theater district shortly before 2 a.m. (0100 GMT) on Friday.

British police anti-terror chief Peter Clarke said the explosives would have resulted in significant injury and loss of life had the explosives detonated.

Clarke said police were alerted to the car after an ambulance crew attending an earlier incident noticed a smoke-filled car parked close to the popular "Tiger Tiger" nightclub.

Explosives officers discovered canisters of fuel, gas cylinders and nails attached to a "potential means of detonation," inside the vehicle. Officers on the scene "courageously" disabled the trigger by hand, he said.

Earlier, security sources told CNN that the "relatively crude device" contained at least 200 liters, or about 50 gallons, of fuel in canisters.

"Even at this stage it is obvious that if the device had detonated, there could have been severe injuries and loss of life," Clarke said.

He said it was too early to say who was responsible, but police were examining footage from London's unparalelled mesh of CCTV cameras for clues.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, appointed just two days earlier in a transition of power seen as a potential spur for extremists to mount an attack, said the incident was a reminder of the dangers facing the country.

Brown, whose predecessor Tony Blair's support for the war stoked anger among Islamic militants, said Britain faces "a serious and continuous threat" and the public "need to be alert" at all times.

The incident comes close to the second anniversary of July 7, 2005, when four Islamic extremist suicide bombers killed 52 people on London's transport system in the deadliest strike on the city since World War II.

'Rude awakening'

CNN International Security Correspondent Paula Newton said it was potentially aimed at theatergoers or nightclubbers, echoing plots recently thwarted by anti-terror police in which Islamic militants intended to attack prominent dance venues and shopping malls.

London has a long history of bomb attacks and alerts during decades of violence mounted by Northern Irish guerrilla groups. Lone attackers have also previously targeted the city's gay and immigrant communities.

Friday's incident could prove to be the first major test for new Prime Minister Brown, a former finance minister, who has only just appointed his cabinet, including new Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, in charge of domestic security.

"For Gordon Brown it is a rude awakening to the realities you take on as prime minister," CNN's European Political Editor Robin Oakley said.

Smith Friday attended a meeting of Britain's so-called Cobra emergency committee -- consisting of intelligence and security chiefs -- and was later expected to brief Brown's cabinet.

"As the police and security services have frequently said we face one of the most serious and sustained threats to our security at the moment," Smith told reporters.

A large area around the scene of the discovery remained cordoned off Friday and the nearby Piccadilly underground train station was closed, bringing gridlock to the city's busy commerical district.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06/29/london.alert/index.html

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
That's nuts, I wonder what was in the cylinders.

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
I just saw The 6 o'clock news here in the UK and it said the Police have found a SECOND CAR filled with explosives!

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Shit, and this is shortly after they busted some Al Qaeda people planning to do this. So that is at least 3 cells planting bombs in London. There could be lots of these.

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
What scares me most is that they found the first car by chance. We have no idea how many of these things are out there.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
You know, people criticize the Bible for having genocidal passages.

In retrospect it seems as if completely wiping out some tribes may be the only way for civilized people to exist. (yes, I realize the irony of that)

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
The gasoline is giving them away, the fumes can be smelt and seen.

Maybe that's why the first car got crashed and the second one was parked illegally, the drivers were probably having a hell of a time transporting these. Sounds like this attempt at a major attack is going to be a failure, but just imagine if they had been smart enough to use something besides gasoline.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
Now now, some of you are insinuating that it is the work of Muslims. We should all give them the benefit................., eh, it has to be those savages.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
[Liberal douche voice on]/ It's not terrorism! It's just an excuse for fear mongers and oil barrens to profiteer and fund their illegal, unprincipled wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Let's investigate US attorney firings and figure out how global warming is taking its effect, like in Johannesburg, South Africa, where it snowed yesterday for the first time since 1981 instead \[Liberal douche voice off]

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
[Liberal douche voice on]/ It's not terrorism! It's just an excuse for fear mongers and oil barrens to profiteer and fund their illegal, unprincipled wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Let's investigate US attorney firings and figure out how global warming is taking its effect, like in Johannesburg, South Africa, where it snowed yesterday for the first time since 1981 instead \[Liberal douche voice off]
You're mocking liberals here.

You might be horrified to know, though, that there were plenty of liberals who actually said much the same thing as your little parody there, only were dead serious. DemocratUnderground, Huffingtonpost, the usual suspects.

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
They have found two cars, but how long will it be before they miss one and it goes off? Its like fucking Die Hard 3!

As I was going to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
And every wife had seven sacks
And every sack had seven cats
And every cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives
How many were going to St Ives?

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
OH FUCK ITS HAPPENED! A Flaming Jeep drove head on into Glasgow Airport and then exploded! A guy jumped out of the vehicle before it exploded and Police managed to apprehend him. I told you it was a matter of time.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Damn, luckily gasoline isn't explosive unless aerated.

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613
Yesterday Bush was fishing, and today guess what Bush is doing . . . FISHING

Way to fight your "The War Against Terror," douche. At least give the appearance of giving a shit when all this terrorism is going on.

For BUSH: :fu4:

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
OH FUCK ITS HAPPENED! A Flaming Jeep drove head on into Glasgow Airport and then exploded! A guy jumped out of the vehicle before it exploded and Police managed to apprehend him. I told you it was a matter of time.

The suspects / perpetrators are being described as "Asian", which is usually European code-speak for "filthy Muslim".

Coffee Diva

Female? Nope. Meaty-breasted? You betcha!
Yesterday Bush was fishing, and today guess what Bush is doing . . . FISHING

Way to fight your "The War Against Terror," douche. At least give the appearance of giving a shit when all this terrorism is going on.

For BUSH: :fu4:
Psst ... handy hint: Bombs/Flamin' Jeeps = UK.

Bush = President of US, not UK.

Just sayin'.

Thank you, drive through!

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Get some Super Soakers (water pistols) and fill them with pigs blood commence soaking those savages until they get the hint...

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The difference between the US and the UK is we (The People) have the firepower to take the fuckers out if they get too uppity.

You guys are left with cricket bats and a ball-less legal system that will fuck you hard, before dealing with the savages in the manner they should be dealt with.

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613
Psst ... handy hint: Bombs/Flamin' Jeeps = UK.

Bush = President of US, not UK.

Just sayin'.

Thank you, drive through!
News reports in the U.S. say the TSA and other law enforcement are increasing security at all major U.S. metropolitan airports in light of the incidents in the U.K.

But, according to you, the U.S. should NOT be concerned because it's a different country . . .. MANNNNNNNNNNNN. :arrrh:

I guess you'd say we should also forget about 9/11, because it's ancient history, MANNNNNNNNNN. :icon_roll