Car in parade kills four.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
Unlucky lottery or sucks to be you?

Ha ha, it's only funny cause I don't know them.

SELMER, Tenn. - A drag-racing vehicle lost control during a parade and spun into a crowd of bystanders Saturday night, killing four adults and injuring up to 15 people, authorities said.

Investigators were trying to determine what caused the vehicle to careen into the crowd at the Cars for Kids charity event in Selmer, located about 80 miles east of Memphis.

Witness Scott Henley said the vehicle started burning off its tires, then began to fishtail and slammed into a light pole before spinning around into the audience.

Selmer Police Chief Neal Burks said, "bodies were flying into the air when it happened."

Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesman Mike Browning said at least eight people were taken to three hospitals.

The identities of the victims and the driver, or the driver's condition, were not immediately known.

Browning said the vehicle has been described as a drag-racing car, but he did not have more details yet about the vehicle.

Sheriff's officials and police began to close the festival shortly after the accident. About 40,000 to 60,000 people were expected to attend the weekend event.

Cars for Kids holds several events throughout the nation and raises close to $200,000 annually for charities that help children in need, according to its Web site.

The charity was formed in 1990, two years after founder Larry Price's son, Chad, suffered a severe head injury in a bicycle accident.

Price promised that if his son was saved from lifelong injuries, he would spend the rest of his life raising funds for disabled children, according to the Web site.

Price could not be reached for comment Saturday night.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
There's absolutely nothing funny about this tragic event....yet still I laugh. *shrug*

ImAlrightSpider

I paid $2 a month for O&A and I LIKED it!
Feb 20, 2006
Natick, MA
This is why I try to watch parades from the top of a stone wall or something.

Jan 6, 2006
Four people?

Old ladies that go through farmer's markets get more than that.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Cars for Kids holds several events throughout the nation and raises close to $200,000 annually for charities that help children in need, according to its Web site.
I guess this year's money is now earmarked.

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
It would have been funnier if the car took out some of the kids.

Aug 12, 2005
PA
ITs up to 7 people now.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
im sure that seemed like a great idea at the time

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
Unlucky lottery.

Those things seem to crash all the time.

Maki

I likey the Asians
Oct 31, 2006
Ohio
The charity was formed in 1990, two years after founder Larry Price's son, Chad, suffered a severe head injury in a bicycle accident.
What does a bike have to do with cars driving into people on sidewalks? Why not have the charity be called Bikes for Fucked Up Bastards?

LBF

Banned
Jun 18, 2005
West Tennessee
Unlucky lottery, IMO.

This happened about 15 miles from where I live. This is also the town where the preacher's wife got pissed and shot him (CNN had reporters around here for a week or so) a few months ago. Pretty shitty place to live apparantly.

Idiot alert.... From another article about this incident, a quote from a fella who was there:
"It ain't really safe to do anything with drag cars on a city street," said 19-year-old Garett Moore, who said he was about 15 feet away from the wreck, but was uninjured. "They shouldn't have done it."
This guy was watching the event, thought it was overwith and started walking away, which is WHY he was "15 feet" from the wreck and uninjured. In other words.... I was there, I saw it, I don't think they shoulda dunnit. Yee Haw.