Car Problem

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
My wife drives a 2002 Saturn SL2 and a couple of weeks ago she was driving on the freeway and it just died. She doesn't remember if the dummy lights came on, but she said it just felt like the car was "dying" and she coasted to a stop on the side of the freeway. Ended up having it towed to my house.

A friend of mine and I have been trying to figure out what it could be for two weeks now. The reason it died was because a 10 amp fuse under the hood that's labeled "TRS 2/TCC" got blown. I replaced the fuse and it doesn't trip again until you turn the key all the way to "ignition," but something keeps tripping it.

When you try and start it, it just sounds like it's out of gas, i.e. engine cranks and cranks. We took out the Ignition Control Module and had it tested, it's fine. Just had the transmission replaced 6 months ago. Fuel Pump (and filter) changed about 8 months ago. My friend unhooked the fuel lines going into the fuel injector and when you try and start the car, fuel spurts out. So it seems that fuel pump is still ok, it just seems that "something" is tripping the electic current "somewhere" and blowing the fuse.

I even used his code reader but when that fuse blows it spits out 10 different error codes ranging from brakes to transmission. I asked if he thought it was the central "brain" computer, but he thinks the car is too new for that. Changing that would be my last resort since it's a dealer-only part and since it's electronic I can't return it (and it's expensive).

I'm hoping somebody had some insights into this other than me having it towed to the dealer and having them bend me over.

???

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
The TRS 2/TCC fuse is related to the torque converter lockup solenoid, which is located in the transmission.

I googled that and came across some threads on Saturn forums describing a problem with shifting and that fuse being blown. I didnt read anything regarding no-start issues - but it seems that the fuse blowing means that solenoid is bad.

Did you check all other fuses, both under the dash and under the hood?

Did you try to see if you have spark by putting a screwdriver in the spark plug boot and cranking?

Ive also seen ignition modules pass on the bench and still be no good.

mud

Sep 3, 2006
az
The TRS 2/TCC fuse is related to the torque converter lockup solenoid, which is located in the transmission.

just a thought unplugg any wires from the transmission and turn the key and see if the fuse blows. It most likely won't start cause of neutral/park switches.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

I googled that and came across some threads on Saturn forums describing a problem with shifting and that fuse being blown. I didnt read anything regarding no-start issues - but it seems that the fuse blowing means that solenoid is bad.

Did you check all other fuses, both under the dash and under the hood?

Did you try to see if you have spark by putting a screwdriver in the spark plug boot and cranking?

Ive also seen ignition modules pass on the bench and still be no good.
I googled the same thing and came up with the transmission solenoid issue but didn't mention it because I too didn't see how it didn't relate to the car not starting issue. It would seem to me (a novice) that a fuse like that would get blown by the torque converter solenoid in the transmission when the transmission became engaged, right?

I'm pretty sure my friend would have done the spark/screwdriver test pretty early on, but I'll make sure tomorrow.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
It would seem to me (a novice) that a fuse like that would get blown by the transmission solenoid when the transmission became engaged, right?
Sounds like the solenoid is stuck engaged, blowing the fuse. The solenoid should only be engaging at 40+mph.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
I had a Saturn for years. Had 220,000 miles on it when I gave it to a friend. He is still running it around. I had several odd problems with it, luckily my friend was a Saturn Tech, so I got all my parts and work for dirt cheap.

Anyway, onto your problem.... You said you had the transmission replaced? When mine was done, the car was never the same, every now and then, the check engine light would come on, and the car would lose all power, couldnt go above 20mph. Turn out they pinched some wires and it created a short and some sensor would go nuts, I would have to pull over, shut the car off, and start it back up, and it wouldnt do it again for a couple weeks.

Bear with me....This is a known problem for your year of saturn. You need to check any and all connectors going to the transmission. Pull them out and clean them. Use a wire brush and some connection cleaner. Chances are its corroded. This could cause the fuse to pop.

If the fuse is still blowing, there is a problem with one of the actuators in the transmission (is it still under warranty). I am not sure this would cause the car not to start, usually it just shifts hard. So dont rule out something else.

Remember you need 3 things to make an engine run,

1. Air....duh
2. Fuel...you said you are getting fuel to the injector rail, so thats not it
3. Spark...Have your checked for spark? Pull a spark plug out, keep the wire connected, touch the tip to something metal (valve cover), and have someone try and start the car. Do you see a spark? If not, have the coil packs checked (2 of them, i think), the PCM checked (some parts stores can do this for you), and any ignition related sensors. Most of these can be checked with a multi-meter. You should be able to find the specs on the internet.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
You know what, I just thought of something......check for spark. Let me know if you do get a spark. If you do, there is something I need you to try.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
electrical problems are a bitch

good luck , bro

sometimes ya just gotta take it
to the shop

i know it sucks
and it's a last resort

they are privvy to more info
than you

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
crank sensor. for the no start. as for the blown fuse that is a pinched wire, or chafed. carefully check the wireing harness on the back side of the engine (fire wall side) and all the ground wires that are attached to the block on the drivers side of the motor

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
here's the problem---it's a Saturn....
i hate to say it, but saturns are just fine, ive worked on a lot of them both body wise and mechanically if for some reason i needed a used shit box car i would buy one. for the most part there simple to repair and reliable. i would bet that when they put the trans in the pinched a wire putting the sub frame back in

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
like said, something is pinched in teh harness to the trans.. you may get lucky & find it, but I wouldn't look & move/ repair wires unless you have a good idea of what you're looking for.

I'd pick up a Chilton's manual for the car if you want to try & fix it, or even if you want to understand exactly what's going on. They're pretty cheap & can help out allot. I look over mine whenever I'm troubleshooting or repairing something.. mainly because I don't do that work very often.

That solenoid should be an easy fix I would think... not sure.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
instead of buying a paper book go with this http://www.alldatadiy.com/

not only does it have better diagrams, but, they also have TSB's avaliable that the books just dont have, if your having this problem chances are that some one else already fixed it and told all data about it.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
instead of buying a paper book go with this http://www.alldatadiy.com/

not only does it have better diagrams, but, they also have TSB's avaliable that the books just dont have, if your having this problem chances are that some one else already fixed it and told all data about it.
cool.. sane cost as having the book for a year tho.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
cool.. sane cost as having the book for a year tho.
yes, but the book isnt updated every quarter, and the price goes down, after the first year to 16$, i bought the sub when i was having problems with my durango. trust me i have the chilton manuals for lots of cars that ive owned, and quite frankly there worthless compared to the power of an on line data base, its well worth the money. even if you had to re sub. on a bit of a side note.... not wanting to offend any one...... but when i have to get "the book out" im in deep shit, so the 25$ dont mean shit at that point, and if your working on your own car and cant figure out how to do the basic shit with out the book then the book aint gona help. when was the last time you took the motor out of a modern car, disassembled it and repaired it and re assembled it? there's a lot of worthless shit in some of those books. i need to know that there's a wire that's chafing on something and the techs at the dealer found it and its on 10000 cars, not how to put piston rings on a motor that is more expensive to fix than to just replace

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I had a saturn LS1 that got pushed under a GMC 1500. It had the radiator ripped in half, the forward engine mount broke and the engine raised about 8 inches outside of the hood.

I had to turn the engine off after the accident.

I then had to restart it a few minutes later and drive about a quarter of a mile off the interstate and to the service road.

Saturns' are well engineered for abuse. A few exceptions not-withstanding.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Thanks to everyone! We got the car running!!!!

Wish I would have seen Fezman's link before I bought the Chilton's guide. The Chilton's guide wasn't any help at all.

I copy and pasted several of the suggestions from the beginning, showed them to my friend and we decided to unhook every wiring harness that came from the ignition and transmission. He wire brushed the ones that looked dirty, we hooked everything up one by one expecting to blow that fuse. Finally tried cranking it over with everything hooked up and vrooooom! It started right up (with the help of a battery charger).

I took it around the block and got it up to 60 and so far so good. My friend spent hours on this and I made him give me a price, since that's what he does on the side. He asked for $30 so I gave him $50 since the only parts we had to buy was a box full of 10 amp fuses and the Chilton's guide.

And as far as Saturn's go, if they were good enough for li'l Jimmy to cruise tranny's in, they're good enough for me!

Thanks again for everybody's input, the next round is on me. :action-sm

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
and thanks for the alldata link Fez
just added to favorites
i'm sure i'll need it sometime

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
its a life savor