Car Problems

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Okay, I know there are a few car people here on the Bag. (I'm looking at you old man) I think my battery is dead. When I turn the key, I heard no sounds what so ever, not even the starter trying to turn over. Lately I have known something was coming because as I drive to work at night, sometimes when I hit the brakes, the headlights would dim. It would also take a couple of times turning the ignition to start.

So, the question is, is it the battery, or is it something else?

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa
Once the car is started, I don't think the battery would cause your lights to dim. I'm thinking alternator.

(But I don't know jack shit about cars)

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
My guess is the alternator or the alternator belt, which led to the battery dying.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Go to Auto Zone and ask for some muffler bearings, they'll hook you up and that should take care of the problem

YaHearIHearMe

Yeah....Wait What?
Feb 14, 2005
Suffolk County, LI
Yes I say the battery. Just yesterday my beater has been acting up it wont start with the auto start when I press the button to unlock the doors it just clicks a few times and dosent unlock its self have to do it with the key and start it the the key with no problem. I think it has to do with the COLD weather we've been having.
Give the battery a charge and see it this happen quick, it can be one of two things yes either a dead battery or a bad alternator. But ya gotta start some where so I would start with either giving it a charge or just buy a new battery especially if the car is due for it.

Also check the zimzomertor meter they always go bad in winter on a lot of cars

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
Sounds like your car was running off only the battery for some time. This would mean a broken alternator. I'm 90% sure of this because that would explain the dimming lights when hitting the brakes.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
for 85$ an hour i will be more than happy to fix the problem

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
85 an hr is cheap. most dealers are over 100$an hour.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Altenator is 2 bolts and a belt I think.. Do it MARK! :) Hope you get here Sunday for RR.
I replaced my alternator not that long ago. When it died, there was at least a little clicking sound coming from the starter when I turned the key. Right now, there is nothing. Things are looking like I may not make it tomorrow night. :(

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Altenator is 2 bolts and a belt I think.. Do it MARK! :) Hope you get here Sunday for RR.
stick to making pie and baby's, leave the heavy lifting to the boys :action-sm

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
QT just called you a little girl because you're whining about car problems.

Fix it yourself she says!

If you didn't get how funny that was, I just wanted to hold a magnifying glass over your tiny man hood.

You're welcome!

:action-sm

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Take a gallon container of gasoline and pour liberally on the interior, step away toss flaming book of matches into vehicle.

Then just WALK AWAY.

CallmeQtie

“How soon 'not now' becomes 'never'.”
Oct 12, 2004
Seaford Harbor Long Island
QT just called you a little girl because you're whining about car problems.

Fix it yourself she says!

If you didn't get how funny that was, I just wanted to hold a magnifying glass over your tiny man hood.

You're welcome!
:action-sm
No I said it cause if I can take 4 years of auto shop and know enough about the parts of an American car to make a statment with some knowledge of what I am saying, Hey Fezman maybe your wife can fetch me some pie. I can't cook.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
No I said it cause if I can take 4 years of auto shop and know enough about the parts of an American car to make a statment with some knowledge of what I am saying, Hey Fezman maybe your wife can fetch me some pie. I can't cook.
neither can she.