Car Question

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
I stink with cars so I"m going to hopefully rely on you guys to help me out.

My car alarm goes off every time I start the car. I unlock it with the remote, get in, start it. Every single time i turn on the engine the damn thing sets off.

What could the possible cause of this be? I've been told it's my car battery. I don't see it though because a. it's 4-5 years old and b. I have no other trouble with anything else in the car.

I'm frustrated and annoyed that I have to make a mad dash for the alarm remote everytime i start because I always forget it will go off.

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Paiging The_Fez_Man. Fez_Man, Anyone? Fez_Man, Anyone?

Untill he shows up, please enjoy this picture.

funnybonez

Registered abUser
Mar 22, 2005
Central Jerzee
I stink with cars so I"m going to hopefully rely on you guys to help me out.

My car alarm goes off every time I start the car. I unlock it with the remote, get in, start it. Every single time i turn on the engine the damn thing sets off.

What could the possible cause of this be? I've been told it's my car battery. I don't see it though because a. it's 4-5 years old and b. I have no other trouble with anything else in the car.

I'm frustrated and annoyed that I have to make a mad dash for the alarm remote everytime i start because I always forget it will go off.
Could be the alarm brain is f-ck up. Does it happen when you by-pass the alarm?

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
I've never bypassed the alarm so I'm not sure I can answer that.

What would cause the alarm computer to be screwey all of a sudden?
Why would my car battery cause my alarm to go off?

I'm pretty sure its not the remote battery because, well, it works. and i also tried using my spare remote. Same shit happens

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
if its an after market alarm have it professionally removed, its on the fritz, and there fucking worthless junk, it may be the battery, if the voltage in the battery is dropping below 9v under a start load it could be resetting the alarm, if your battery is 4-5 years old it may be on its way out, modern battery's are relitivly true to there advertised service life. if its a 60 month battery and you have had it 5 years then its on its way out, it might seem fine now but just wait for the first over night freeze and youll be standing in the drive way with your dick in your hand and a dead battery

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
I'm pretty sure it's not aftermarket because it came with the car (2000 nissan maxima). I'm almost certain I replaced the battery in 2003 while going to school during a shitty winter in Binghamton.

Then again, I don't want to replace the battery if I don't need to just to test an alarm problem. But it seems to be the consensus that it could be the battery. Is there a way to test this without changing the battery (and not having a voltmeter)? Like getting a jump while starting to see if it goes off with more than 9v. Would it even be safe for the car to jump a battery when it still has power?

And since I have a car expert here... I've had a problem with something else for about 6 years. Nobody knows what the hell it is. When I hit the gas and try to go 0-60 (or 0-30) quickly it sounds like there is a pinging under the hood. I've asked mechanics about this and they said it could just be the car. I've also put in fuel injector and high grade gas to test to see if it was a fuel problem. nothing. Any suggestions on that too?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
well you can get a cheep volt meter for about 5$ here : http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899

but you will have to get some one to help you,
this is another option http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90636

but if your not a "car guy" i wouldn't bother with it.
because it is a factory alarm there is a possibility that the brain of the alarm might be crapping out, a car is a harsh environment for electronics and its not un common for them to shit the bed.
quite frankly i would have to toss this to BB1 for a second opinion, electric problems are often quite difficult to diagnose, and experience and secondary opinion is important to make an estimated guess as to what the problem is. thats one of the shitty things about what i do, i work on every thing unlike a dealer who only works on one brand of car, when GM fucks up they fuck up 10000 times and there techs see it, and know exactly what to fix.

as for the pinging with out driveing, seeing and feeling the problem i cant even begin to form an opinion, noise can come from any were

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Drunk aNSWER... SECOND ALARM? BUTTON? sTupid caps...was it always this close to shift?

I had a secret button on a car i bought at auction.

not a credible idea but look around the columb for a black button.

Davel23

Feb 26, 2005
Important question: are you black?

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
me?
no.
and why would it matter?

Davel23

Feb 26, 2005
Just looking for other possible reasons the alarm might be going off every time you get in "your" car.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Have the spark plugs been changed or checked while you owned the car? Pinging is a timing issue. Assuming everything else is OK, you could have a bad plug (improperly gapped, etc.), that simply using high grade fuel won't overcome.