Car stalled out and wouldn't start until cooled off

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Had my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe just stall out on me this morning. Now that I think about it, yesterday when I had the cruise control on it seemed to almost do it on the freeway but I just thought it was a cruise control kicking in/shutting off kind of thing. Was driving and it seemed like I killed the engine for about a second and then it went back on.

This morning I was driving and I got maybe a mile away from home and the car just died. Seemed like it was kind of rough when it died. Coasted to a stop and tried restarting it and it just cranked like it was out of fuel.

Came back about an hour later and was able to start it up just fine and drive it home. So is it related to when the car heats up?

The check engine light had come on a few months ago and I plugged a code reader into it and it was I think an O2 sensor. Guy where I had the oil changed said I really didn't need to worry about it until I needed to get it smogged.

Plugged in the code reader today and got these numbers:
P0335
P0421
P0171

Scrolling the messages on the reader got these messages:
mil on
monitors
inc
ready
misfire
fuel
comp
catalyst
evap
sensor
heater
egr

Bit of googling shows it could be a MAF sensor, could be a crankshaft sensor, catalytic converter, and a few other things. What should I take care of first so I don't get stranded somewhere? Should I just replace the MAF sensor? How hard is it or what kind of shop would be best to handle this kind of stuff?

This is the first time I've had to worry about anything with this car out of warranty. It's got about 120k miles on it. Had the timing belt changed at about 65k because it busted and a couple other minor things but otherwise it's been a good car.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Not a mechanic, but it sounds almost like the fuel pump might be crapping out.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
I had the same car.. Did you get your transmission shift sensor looked at? I had it crap out on me 4 times in 3 months.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
So my neighbor is a mechanic and came over and looked at it. A big air intake tube (about 3-4 inch diameter) was completely off on the bottom. We took apart a bunch of the tubing going up to the air filter to see if it hadn't sucked up a big piece of debris or something but it was pretty clean. He thinks that could have stalled it out, the error codes I got said I had a too lean fuel mixture. Cleared the codes and everything seems ok now, but they could come back, he thinks the crankshaft sensor is loose and possibly a fuel filter/pvc filter may be in order since it's got 120k on it.

I had the same car.. Did you get your transmission shift sensor looked at? I had it crap out on me 4 times in 3 months.
I noticed it was kind of jerky going into a gear a few days ago, was that your symptom? Is that the same as the crankshaft sensor?

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
No it's a transmission sensor. It started off as being kinda jerky. Then it would be stuck in 3rd gear so try merging onto the highway from a dead stop like that.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
The 0171 is a too lean code. If the MAF sensor is in the air cleaner box
and that tube to the engine is off or cracked it will cause stalling.

The 0421 is a cat code but it shouldn't cause stalling.
Indicates the efficiency is down on warmup. More pollution
but shouldn't affect performance.

The 0335 code is a crank sensor code. That's the one I would look at.
A crank sensor failure will shut the motor down and it's totally
possible the sensor fails when the engine gets hot and the windings
inside of it separate. Seen it many times before in various sensors.

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
Long Island
No it's a transmission sensor. It started off as being kinda jerky. Then it would be stuck in 3rd gear so try merging onto the highway from a dead stop like that.
You my friend have the best NSFW in the history of the internets!!!!

Oh yeah, Balls is right, crank sensor.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Yeah, newer electronic transmissions have an input and output
speed sensor. When they fuck up the trans may shift bad or
not at all but his problem sounds more like an engine sensor
that cutting off ignition, fuel injectors or both.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Thanks everyone, especially BB1. Definitely going to get the crankcase sensor done ASAP. Should I go ahead and swap out the timing belt at the same time? I'm probably going to need to tear it down that far to get to the crankcase sensor right? How easy is it for a backyard mechanic (my neighbor) to do a timing belt if it's not done in a shop?

Also, Pepboys and Autozone both have it for about $90, but since it's something I can probably wait a week for, should I get it online? Found it here, is this place ok to buy from?
http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/...94962953+4294963026&Npp=30&Ns=price2|1&Npp=30

If so, which one of the manufacturers has a good reputation there? There's one on there for $13, WTF? And it's got a 1 year warranty and some of the more expensive ones only have 90 day warranties.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Never hurts to have a new timing belt on the car. As for buying it online, I do it myself
because I can get such good deals. Just make sure whoever you buy from has an easy
return policy in case it turns out to be the wrong part. Sometimes pictures and actual
parts delivered aren't the same.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
Every once in a while, long stretches though, my bronco would idle rough and sometimes stall. Engine light came on. At first my mechanic couldn't figure it out. Had to wait for the engine light ro come on before hooking up the reader. It was the o2 sensor. Changed that and it cleared right up.

Whenever it happened again changed the sensor and it cleared up.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Aside from the big box autoparts stores, anybody recommend a good online parts supplier?

Place I'm looking at has a 21 day return policy from date of delivery. Anybody that buys parts online that can vouch for these manufacturers? Or ones I should stay away from?

Gates
DNJ
Beck Arnley
Dayco
ContiTech
MBL
Auto 7
Cloyes
CRP
Standard
Replacement
OES Genuine

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Rockauto.com. The cheapest parts place I have found. My boss told me about it. I got a radiator, cap, upper and lower hose, and thermostat, and shipping for less than just the radiator at other sites I saw it at.

bb1mobile

wackbag's special mod
Wackbag Staff
Jul 10, 2007
Just wandering around
I've gotten parts made by most of those companies
and haven't had any probems with them that I recall.

Only thing I shy away from is Gates belts. For some reason
they tend to develop a chirp in them very quickly. They last
fine but are noisey as hell. I use Bando belts when possible.

Gates hoses are fine too.