Car Stalling Out

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
My wife's 2002 Saturn SL2 stalled out today. She called me and I went and checked it out. It seems like it was idling really low. To start it I had to give it a lot of gas. We were only a couple of miles from home so I decided to try and get it home. I tried to just keep the engine idling really high to keep it from stalling out, throwing it into neutral and using my left foot as the brake and then throwing it into drive and all seemed well.

I did try blowing through the fuel injectors on the way home and got good acceleration when I needed it by punching it. Funny enough, by the time I got home, the problem seemed fixed. When I pulled up to a stop before I parked, the car didn't die. After parking and shutting it off, it started up like normal.

We have a code reader so I hooked it up and got misfire codes, O2 sensor, EGR valve, and a few others.
P0128, P0404, P0410, P0442, P0708 to be exact.

This has been a problem off-and-on, and I've had guys look at it and they can't seem to diagnose it. They can't tell if it's fuel system related or electronic firing system related. What are your thoughts?

Here's the vid of the scanner codes:

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
That's a very varied list of codes. You have codes for the EGR,
the transmission, the coolant sensor, the evap system and AIR
pump. Sounds like you may have a bad ground to the computer
harness.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
I just checked Alldata and GM also has a bulletin out about possible
corrosion in ECM or bulkhead connectors causing drivability problems.

Check all the computer harnesses and if you see green or rust
on the contacts clean them and add silicone dialectic grease
before reassembly.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
My old ford had o2 sensor problems.. about every year and a half the idle would be Fucked up.. then the stalling started soon after that.. Changed the o2 sensor and.it cleared right up every time.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Listen to BB
If I have an automotive problem that I can't figure out myself
I defer to him and/or Fez Man

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

before reassembly.
Will check that out tomorrow. Is that an 'after the warranty" type issue? Would a bad EGR part give these same symptoms?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Will check that out tomorrow. Is that an 'after the warranty" type issue? Would a bad EGR part give these same symptoms?
A sticky EGR valve can cause stalling and / or low, rough idle problems.
My concern is all the additional codes. You shouldn't be getting those
if the valve was the problem. When you get multiple unrelated codes
99% of the time you have a wiring problem and poor connections are
the major culprit in those.

The standard warranty on emissions parts is the factory warranty with
the exception of converters and ECM. The Feds require they be covered
for 8 years, 80k miles. An 02 should be out of any kind of warranty.

Last edited:

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
It's just always had those codes. One guy that we took it to said one of the problems was a transmission shifting sensor. He also mentioned the EGR valve But the car runs fine usually.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I read this title as "Car Selling Out," which would have been a very different thread.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
There's enough computer controlled things malfunctioning that it's bound to be an ecm issue. After checking the ecm I'd also check to see if the tps is throwing a code as well. That would explain the stalling at idle (although that doesn't account for the other codes).

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
I think I figured out the problem.

It's a Saturn

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Today my car stalled after shifting into reverse. It never happened before and there was no sign it was going to happen. As soon as reverse engaged the car just died. I restarted and seems to be running okay.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas

before reassembly.
X2 on this. I used to date a gal with a Saturn and it started acting all crazy like yours. There were several corroded ground wires, wound up replacing the computer and it ran fine again.

If you determine you need one, check out car-part.com and get a used one for mucho cheap.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Today my car stalled after shifting into reverse. It never happened before and there was no sign it was going to happen. As soon as reverse engaged the car just died. I restarted and seems to be running okay.

Bad gas is my guess. Add some Star-Tron to your tank.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Do they have that pretty much everywhere?
I Amazon it and save the hassle of going to different stores. Buy a big bottle and use it every other fill up. Keeps that Ethanol shit from screwing up your fuel delivery system.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
So my mechanic changed out the EGR valve but had a sneaking suspicion the air diverter valve (aka "gulp" valve) was also bad because of the choices and symptoms. He was right. Both were caked with carbon, the gulp valve was a mess.

He also needed to replace the Schrader valve from my AC system from when he tried to recharge it in the summer but it only lasted a couple of weeks. So I spent about $220 on two cans of Freon and both valve assemblies, and he threw in the fix for the AC for nothing and had a spare Schrader valve laying around.

I asked him how much he wanted and he said he only wanted $50 for all the labor. I was expecting a helluva lot more so I gave him a $30 tip. I got soooo lucky, I would have gotten a total shafting at a regular mechanic.