Cartoons now stink

abudabit

New Wackbag
I was just watching Saturday morning cartoons. These cartoons are aweful! Everyone has high pitch voices, they barely look like people, the animation stinks, the plots stink, everything stinks.

Remember the 80's? Remember Dungeons And Dragons, GI Joe, Transformers G1, etc? Those were cartoons. The animation was great, there was real action (although gayly nobody died), the plots often times were serial, etc.

I blame Cartoon Planet.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I stick to the prime time and late night toons.
Simpsons, Family Guy, Southpark, Futurama and such.
AM cartoons just suck anymore.

abudabit

New Wackbag
But what about the kids? I'm gonna be a father in a couple years, I'm thinking I'll make DVDs of some classic 80's cartoons and ban my kids from watching modern cartoons.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Buy them on DVD. I bought a bunch of Looney Tunes Gold Collection dvds. Nice and unedited.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Funny, the ones you bring up where awful too. D+D? GI Joe? Yuck.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I was confused, I thought they somehow had smell-o-vision

O&A PartyRock

Party Rocker
what about pinky and the brain, animaniacs and the tick those were some great shows

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
But what about the kids? I'm gonna be a father in a couple years, I'm thinking I'll make DVDs of some classic 80's cartoons and ban my kids from watching modern cartoons.
If I had kids I'd do that. Burn every warner bros. cartoon, bugs intensive. Just let them watch that on a loop for 15 years. That'll learn them right.

silentbob8201

all you have to do to see how low quality cartoons are these days is compare Batman the Animated Series to the new cartoon the Batman where all his villians know Kung Fu even the Penguin. everything is trying to be Japanese these days and its fucking retarded

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
all you have to do to see how low quality cartoons are these days is compare Batman the Animated Series to the new cartoon the Batman where all his villians know Kung Fu even the Penguin. everything is trying to be Japanese these days and its fucking retarded
The batman animated series may be the greatest cartoon of all time.

It does stink that american animation is just trying to rip off japan but its not like its a new thing.

Does anyone here honestly think transformers or voltron were american cartoons???

BalloonKnotB

Recreational User
abudabit = Ol' Grumpy Gus

I used to think Voltron was the shit when I was a wee lad. Saw it again on Cartoon Network one night -- HOLY CRAP does it suck now.

Now that I'm a dad, I have to watch hours and hours of cartoons. The Nickelodeon staples (like Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents) are pretty f'ing funny. Well, the first twelve times you see them they are.

And I have to agree with Mother Shucker. Those 80's cartoons are amazing when we remember them. abudabit, have you watched them recently? The animation in today's cartoons is 10x's better now.

I used to hate Japanese anime. But it's like country music. When you listen to it, you start to enjoy a song here and there -- you notice that while most of it is shite, there's some decent stuff in there. (C'mon, when O&A and Patrice were ripping all the country tunes, wasn't there one or two that stuck with you a lil' bit?) There's some Japanese stuff that's not on Adult Swim that RULES. Watch the Fatal Fury movie on you tube and check out the fight scenes. Here's link (And give it about a minute to get good):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3qtEWLIqls

As far as the new Batman series being influenced by anime, hell yeah it is. In a good way. Those danmed Japanese take what we create and improve it (look at electronics, automobiles, etc.) then we steal it right back. Take a look at any action adventure show from WB (Justice League, Legion, The Batmen) and tell me they don't stack up to GI Joe and Transformers.

There's still a whole lot of crap out there for sure, but SOME kid is watching and enjoying it. And twenty years later they'll be on a message board (or whatever the future equivelant is) and start a thread that says "Today's cartoons stink! They don't hold a candle to Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh".

Mr. abudabit, I'm calling you an Ol' Grumpy Gus. :action-sm

Sunsetspawn

Does anyone here honestly think transformers or voltron were american cartoons???
Actually, Transformers was a collaboration between Hasbro and Marvel, in collusion with Japanese animators, after Hasbro ripped off Japanese transforming toys. So technically, the first animated incarnation of the Transformers was a mulatta, mongrel class of cartoon. However, I think later it became more Nip and less Yank.

Voltron is another story.

And as for the topic at hand. Cartoons have stunk ever since parents complained that they were too scary. Remember the first season of The Real Ghostbusters? Now remember the Third? Somewhere in between occured a moment when cartoons became worthless and I believe it was FCC mandated.
I'm sure someone here knows more about this than I do.

Fuck Crosby

Bills. Beers. Broads.
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends isn't too bad

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Thing is...cartoons were first aimed at adults...Betty Boop, Popeye, and alot of the Fleischer cartoons were bawdy and violent...now they are toned down to the point that they are just plain mindless and have to teach a lesson due to politicians.

NotSoFast

Dungeons & Dragons comes on cable VERY early on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I set my Tivo to record them.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Dungeons & Dragons comes on cable VERY early on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I set my Tivo to record them.
Come on! With voice actors like Ralf Malf(Cavalier) and Buddy Hinkins(Ranger)? How can you go wrong?

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
I remember the cartoons that were on when I woke up on a Saturday morning when i was a kid. So worth waking up early for too. Everything from Mighty Orbots, Kidd Video and a bunch of others. Sometimes when I wake up early enough, they'd have Rocky & Bullwinkle.
Then afternoons when I got home from school it was Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, Inspector Gadget, MASK and a bunch of others. I still remember when they had cartoons on in the morning when I was getting ready to go to school. Instead of all the stupid news shows it was Bugs Bunny or Woody Woodpecker and stuff.
I think a big part of the problem besides the parents groups and the FCC is that kids of the ages when we watched don't really care. Instead of the TV, kids have gone to the internet. So the only real kids that watch cartoons are the really young ones and they have to appeal to them.
It's sad really. That kids are missing out on something great we all got to experience when we were young. Now when you turn on the TV on a Saturday morning it's mostly news shows and during the weekday afternoons its mostly court or talk shows.
It's like the networks have given up on the generational old concept of Saturday morning cartoons.

Thankfully alot of the shows I grew up with are going on DVD or found pretty easily on the internet.

silentbob8201

The batman animated series may be the greatest cartoon of all time.

It does stink that american animation is just trying to rip off japan but its not like its a new thing.

Tranformers was written by Americans and animated by Asians till after the show ended here then the Japs took over and ruined it by destroying Cybertron and killing off Soundwave and Blaster in a lame two way battle

ImAlrightSpider

I paid $2 a month for O&A and I LIKED it!
If you want the old cartoons, watch the Boomerang network (I think owned by Nickelodeon). Jetsons, Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, etc.

Hudson made a good point about cartoons' original audience being adults. That doesn't really address Transformers and the other '80s cartoons, though. Good points all around.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
If you want the old cartoons, watch the Boomerang network (I think owned by Nickelodeon). Jetsons, Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, etc.

Hudson made a good point about cartoons' original audience being adults. That doesn't really address Transformers and the other '80s cartoons, though. Good points all around.
(cartoon network....same deal)Well my point was that they used to appeal to the adult mind, now they boil it down to appeal to the waterheads... Shit, Sesame Street shows stuff (wow! alliteration) that makes adults laugh...
New Scooby Doo....eck, they have a remake where Scooby gets super powers.
no wonder I watch "adult swim" so much.......Ps I miss Thundarr, Justice League, and Herculoids .

ScottyGams

most of the new cartoons are imprts from japan. They think of a product to sell, then build a cartoon around that.

Naruto
Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
etc...

I like Robot Chicken and Family Guy myself...

I used to run home from school (only 22, so just a lil while back) to watch Disney Afternoo. Darkwing Duck kicked ass. Then I would watch X-Men, and Spiderman on Fox Satudays, followed by Bret Hart on Satuday Wrestling. Ah, the good ol' Days!

Top Bottom