Castro resigns as Cuban president

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
FIDEL Castro has resigned as president and commander in chief of Cuba, the online official press said.
The Cuban leader resigned today as president and commander in chief of Cuba in a message published in the online version of the official daily Granma.

"I neither will aspire to nor will I accept - I repeat - I neither will aspire to nor will I accept, the position of president of the council of state and commander in chief," wrote Mr Castro, who had been in power for almost 50 years.
Mr Castro had been in power for almost 50 years until he became ill in 2006, when his duties were transferred to his younger brother Raul.
Mr Castro has written that he will not aspire to or accept the position of president of the council of state and commander in chief.

- AFP
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23241394-663,00.html

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
This good news or bad news?

(It's late, I wasn't in the mood to come up with a clever Godfather 2 reference. I guess "Coleman Francis and Cherokee Jack finally got their wish" could work but it might be too obscure.)

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This is fucking ridiculous. The longest sitting communist leader in the history of the world resigns and none of the cable news stations are covering it.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Nevermind, i'm finding more stories about it.

Does anyone else think he looks kind of like an old Anthony?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Fox NEWS is covering it.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
wow, I messed up my post. I tried to edit this one but i guess I accidentally hit "reply" oh well

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
His brother won't do anything different in Cuba until Fidel dies. He may just stick to the same shit his brother forged after that as well.

Things won't change until the fmaily is out of power.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
How long before the powers that be decide to "liberate" Cuba?

Hopefully the fucktards here won't try and make a military issue of it.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Oct 4, 2004
Morris Plains, New Jersey
This won't change a thing. I believe is brother Raul will take the helm of president, and he pretty much holds the same beliefs as ol Fidel.
This is from cnn "Cuba's leaders plan to elect a president within days. Castro's brother, Raúl, the country's defense minister, has been named publicly as his successor."

So does this mean that they are actually going to try to hold a general election in a FEW DAYS?

Holy shit, we have people campaigning for up to 2 years, and they are going to to elect a new president in a few days??

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
They have good reason to be pissed off at our country. How the hell many times have we tried to off that man? And for what? So we could use the confusion and unrest following an assassination to sneak in and take over. I'm glad Castro has made it this long. He might not have done much for his people economically, but if he were truly hated by his people, he would not have held office for so long.

It's seriously looking like he won't make it to the end of the year. Hopefully he'll at least make it to the Summer Olympics.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Kinda looks adorable in a grandfatherly way, like the bearded Saddam did. Of course Castro has the advantage of those Anthony eyes.

Blink, blink.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
I want us to start trading with Cuba again, I want Cuban cigars Goddamn it!!!

Sorry, I don't care about the people or the government. I want their tobacco products.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
How long before the powers that be decide to "liberate" Cuba?

Hopefully the fucktards here won't try and make a military issue of it.
The ass in the White House is already talking about "helping" them move closer to democracy. I say wait for them to ask for help.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Cuba, Florida, whats the difference. Dictator elected official, whats the difference.

Same shit.

greed and power left unchecked is bound to be ugly...and the lines anymore are so blurred.... this will make absolutely no difference.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
They have good reason to be pissed off at our country. How the hell many times have we tried to off that man? And for what? So we could use the confusion and unrest following an assassination to sneak in and take over. I'm glad Castro has made it this long. He might not have done much for his people economically, but if he were truly hated by his people, he would not have held office for so long.

It's seriously looking like he won't make it to the end of the year. Hopefully he'll at least make it to the Summer Olympics.
Oh, yeah, we had no reason to want him offed, did we?

Gee, he only had FIRST STRIKE NUKES pointed at us, where a launch wouldn't have given us time to respond (with 1960s tech, at least).

Golly, we're such bad guys for wanting to kill a guy THAT HELD A GUN TO OUR FUCKING HEADS aren't we?

Go suck Che's dessicated cock.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys

Gee, he only had FIRST STRIKE NUKES pointed at us, where a launch wouldn't have given us time to respond (with 1960s tech, at least).

Golly, we're such bad guys for wanting to kill a guy THAT HELD A GUN TO OUR FUCKING HEADS aren't we?

My dad Green Beret group were on alert to be sent in During the Cuban Missile Crisis..to do some Wetworks.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.

I'm gonna guess Ego's gonna be an Obama voter.

It's just my feeling.

BloodyDiaper

Oct 7, 2005
Castro didn't have nukes before the U.S tried to overthrow him - the "guns" were pointed at his head first. After two years of attempts at regime change and a formal trade embargo by its biggest export partner, Cuba then turns to the U.S.S.R for military defense against a likely invasion. This includes the missles that were put in place in mid to late 1962 as a response to U.S. missles aimed at Moscow placed in Turkey.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
This is fucking ridiculous. The longest sitting communist leader in the history of the world resigns and none of the cable news stations are covering it.
But Brittany did drugs!! She thinks about suicide!!!

Where the fuck are your priorities BIV? It's like I don't even know you anymore...