Charles Barkley on Sharpton / Jackson & other topics

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Enjoy!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7773422?MSNHPHMA

"I'm voting for Barack Obama," he said matter-of-factly. "We are so lost and confused in the black community right now. All our kids want to be rappers or entertainers. We need to let them know they can be intelligent and articulate. It's a bigger picture than him running for president, to be honest with you."

Why all the political talk? As has been rumored in the past, Barkley is considering a run for governor of Alabama, a move that he would make without the support of African-American political leaders such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

"I don't believe in them," Barkley said. "They always play the race card, and you can't always play the race card."

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I will always listen up when Sir Charles speaks. He has alot to say and unfortunately it falls on deaf ears. Not only in the black community, but in the general media as well.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
"We are so lost and confused in the black community right now. All our kids want to be rappers or entertainers (or basketball players)
Fixed.

I joke, but I agree with him. Barkley's always been one of the smarter guys I've seen in any sport. Too bad he's considered a "bad boy" because he says what's going on without regard for what's politically correct.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I'm wondering if he agrees with Barack's policies or if he's just voting for him because of his skin color and the message it will send to the community?

Barkley is intelligent - I've heard him speak on the various talk shows & yeah it is a shame people don't listen when he speaks, but I'm asking that because there are many women who are going to vote for Billary for the same reason - they have no idea what she stands for but because Billary (allegedly) has a vagina and (allegedly) so do they, they're going to vote for her.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I'm wondering if he agrees with Barack's policies or if he's just voting for him because of his skin color and the message it will send to the community?

Barkley is intelligent - I've heard him speak on the various talk shows & yeah it is a shame people don't listen when he speaks, but I'm asking that because there are many women who are going to vote for Billary for the same reason - they have no idea what she stands for but because Billary (allegedly) has a vagina and (allegedly) so do they, they're going to vote for her.
I do have to say that there are justifiable reasons to vote for Barack because he's black, and this is one of them. (My opinion). I mean, if droves of gang banger types are going to go vote "cuz he's a nigga like us", fuck them, but if a responsible black adult wants to vote for him so that he can show his children that they can accomplish anything, and to prove to the community that it's not whitey keeping them down, then I'm all for it.

You crazy women folk though, you can go screw! :action-sm

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I do have to say that there are justifiable reasons to vote for Barack because he's black, and this is one of them. (My opinion). I mean, if droves of gang banger types are going to go vote "cuz he's a nigga like us", fuck them, but if a responsible black adult wants to vote for him so that he can show his children that they can accomplish anything, and to prove to the community that it's not whitey keeping them down, then I'm all for it.

Also I'm pretty sure in all the Presidential elections, congressional elections, and elections at the state and city level, people have voted for a candidate based on either race, gender, or religious belief. So I have no problem if a black person is going to do it for Barack or a woman is going to do it for Hillary.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I honestly just don't trust the guy as a person. His wife has this fucking scary look in her eye when she interacts with people, he seems disengenuous and never seems to truly say anything... It's like he operates on the base line of "Politics for Dummies". If he were white I'd have the exact same opinion.

I'll tell you this, I'd never want to play poker against him, and when I can't read someone, I don't trust them... Because I can usually read anyone. If you have THAT much to hide, I'm not going to trust you.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Also I'm pretty sure in all the Presidential elections, congressional elections, and elections at the state and city level, people have voted for a candidate based on either race, gender, or religious belief. So I have no problem if a black person is going to do it for Barack or a woman is going to do it for Hillary.

you are probably right and this is one of the reasons our government is so fucked up. how can you not have a problem with someone voting just because of race or gender. everyone is always looking for the easy way to do things instead of working just a little bit to make their decision.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I have a problem with people basing their votes on anything other than the issues - how many people were rallying around Giuliani because they were so impressed with how he handled things on September 11. How many evangelicals are backing Huckabee because he was a former Baptist minister?

And I can't begin to tell you how many people are backing McCain, the least conservative Republican running, just because he was in Viet Nam and they think that means he'll know how to "win" the war in Iraq. Others are voting for him because the media chose him to be the star of the day and since that's all they're seeing on the news & reading in the papers, he must be "the" one. Never mind that the New York Times, a liberal newspaper, is endorsing him.

Southtown

Aug 10, 2004
I like Charles. Hes been talking like this for a long time. I remember at least ten years ago he was on some interview with ESPN, and he said that black people who blame their problems/failures on white people are just lazy. I always thought Sir Charles was a dick, but after he said that I became an instant fan.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
And I can't begin to tell you how many people are backing McCain, the least conservative Republican running

yeah, with Bush and McCain it gets hard sometimes to separate the two parties. I wish the Republicans could field a conservative for once.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I have a problem with people basing their votes on anything other than the issues - how many people were rallying around Giuliani because they were so impressed with how he handled things on September 11. How many evangelicals are backing Huckabee because he was a former Baptist minister?

And I can't begin to tell you how many people are backing McCain, the least conservative Republican running, just because he was in Viet Nam and they think that means he'll know how to "win" the war in Iraq. Others are voting for him because the media chose him to be the star of the day and since that's all they're seeing on the news & reading in the papers, he must be "the" one. Never mind that the New York Times, a liberal newspaper, is endorsing him.
It really is difficult to base your vote on issues these days because none of the candidates actually talk about what the think.

As soon as one did, he got labeled a KKK loving kook.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
It really is difficult to base your vote on issues these days because none of the candidates actually talk about what the think.

As soon as one did, he got labeled a KKK loving kook.
I know that VT, I really do. But if people were to cut through the rhetoric and maybe do a little independent research, they might come away with an entirely different feeling for the candidates. Unfortunately, the media are too much in everybody's business and as soon as there's something they "think" is story it gets repeated ad nauseum regardless of its validity. By the time the truth emerges, the original story is so ingrained in people's minds that the truth barely matters.

And I'm really sick of those polls who ask which candidate would you prefer to have a beer with or other inanities. Who the fuck cares? Yeah, one of them may be cool to hang with, but does that mean he or she would make a good president? Uhhh, no.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
I will always listen up when Sir Charles speaks. He has alot to say and unfortunately it falls on deaf ears. Not only in the black community, but in the general media as well.
x15

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I know that VT, I really do. But if people were to cut through the rhetoric and maybe do a little independent research, they might come away with an entirely different feeling for the candidates. Unfortunately, the media are too much in everybody's business and as soon as there's something they "think" is story it gets repeated ad nauseum regardless of its validity. By the time the truth emerges, the original story is so ingrained in people's minds that the truth barely matters.

And I'm really sick of those polls who ask which candidate would you prefer to have a beer with or other inanities. Who the fuck cares? Yeah, one of them may be cool to hang with, but does that mean he or she would make a good president? Uhhh, no.
I think we just have to realize that 90% of this country is comprised of incredibly stupid people. It's sad, but true.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007

Voss, that was your best post...EVER IMHO...well, except for that women part :rolleyes:

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
(Glenn, I agree, after all he is one of THEM..)
I know Glenn's probably being funny, and you're pigeon holing him as a racist because he has that opinion, but I think you can see by my opinion of it that I'm anything but a racist.

All that being said, I don't trust Obama at all. As a man, not as a black man.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
I know Glenn's probably being funny, and you're pigeon holing him as a racist because he has that opinion, but I think you can see by my opinion of it that I'm anything but a racist.

All that being said, I don't trust Obama at all. As a man, not as a black man.
Well I do. I trust him as a black man. I believe he is one. God Bless America.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Sir Charles is like a breath of fresh air when he speaks. Same with that Bill Cosby guy, too bad hardly anyone listens.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I think we just have to realize that 90% of this country is comprised of incredibly stupid people. It's sad, but true.
I want to bring that number down a little bit and say 50% of the country is stupid. The media does a great job at making it look like that 90% of the country is stupid. In end, I think most people when they enter that booth, close that curtain, and pull the lever, have taken alot of things in consideration when they're making their vote.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
He may be on the top of my list of favorite celebrities who are brutally honest. Trump is honest a lot of the time, but sometimes there's too much self-serving spin.

"conservatives are fake christians" - he explains himself bluntly, and fairly.

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/48184.html

If he can garner some funding for an independent campaign, we may be calling him Gov. Barkley in 2014.

Ventura might not have been great, but he appealed to swing voters in Minn.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
People don't pay attention to where politicians stand on the issues because they all lie about their stance. So they look at the guy himself.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I want to bring that number down a little bit and say 50% of the country is stupid. The media does a great job at making it look like that 90% of the country is stupid. In end, I think most people when they enter that booth, close that curtain, and pull the lever, have taken alot of things in consideration when they're making their vote.
Well, you've heard the old saying that 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people?

I'd feel pretty safe labeling 80% of the American public paste-eaters. (Or McDonald's eaters, as it were)