• Chef

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Scientist

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The guys who "create" the new things on the fast food menu like McRibs or Chalupas. Do you consider them closer to a "chef" or a "scientist?"

Jul 13, 2006
I go with scientist because the garbage they pawn off in fast food places are synthsized versions of real food items. They are low grade meats with artificial flavors and sauces along with cheap ingredients like fats.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Apr 14, 2004
I go with scientist because the garbage they pawn off in fast food places are synthsized versions of real food items. They are low grade meats with artificial flavors and sauces along with cheap ingredients like fats.
What he said.

I'm a chef and wouldn't make that shit no matter how much they paid me

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
What he said.

I'm a chef and wouldn't make that shit no matter how much they paid me
What if they paid you a lot AND said you never had to work a weekend ever again? :rolleyes:

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Apr 14, 2004
Sorry, I'm not a hack and I don't do bullshit "food"

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
they're chefs...just really really crappy ones. What next? Calling the guy who makes your sandwich an artist?

Scientists are useful members of society who seek to expand our knowledge...not make us a crappy snack.

Jul 13, 2006
they're chefs...just really really crappy ones. What next? Calling the guy who makes your sandwich an artist?

Scientists are useful members of society who seek to expand our knowledge...not make us a crappy snack.
No, in places like McDonalds they have product development in their food services where some have chemist degrees to work with artificial ingredients. They are called "flavorists" that try to find chemical combinations that taste like real things because it's cheaper to throw a few vats of sugars, extracts and chemicals together than to pay for real produce and quality meats.

They use the overpowering sauces to mask the taste of the low grade meats that are just a cunt hair above dog food.

Here is a quick reference as to what a flavorist does. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavorist

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
Chemist would be more like it - just like SamAdams said

but yes... there is a science to that garbage that the fast food nation eats.

stillbornstew

blogging loser
Jul 26, 2005
i can see the validity of being a scientist, but good luck convincing some corporate douchebag that your research is profitable because, in the end, if it doesn't make money the suits don't care how good for society your work is.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
scientists sure are great chefs

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
It really is food science. It can work both ways of the spectrum. Mass produced food requires science and engineering to deliver it to the table safe and palatable enough for someone to consume it. However it can go in the other direction, where the science can bring out new things in food. e.g Ferran Adria and his El Bulli resturant/lab. The whole molecular gastronomy thing to me is fascinating.

The scientists that work to understand the composition of food can help us understand what really makes a steak taste great. The can also use this information to understand the way we smell and taste. For example, if you break down the elements of what makes shit really stink, you can then design a trash bag that better blocks those compounds.

What the chef does in the kitchen and what the scientist does in the lab aren't very far apart. Most chemical techniques were developed from the kitchen. Plastics extrusion technology started with mass producing pasta. In school, we called the chemists cooks. Chemical Engineers were cooks and plumbers combined. What works on the small scale won't necessarily work on the big scale. This is analogous to the chef in a 10 seat bistro or the chef that runs a large institutional kitchen. Same thing, different scale.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Mar 10, 2006
The guys who "create" the new things on the fast food menu like McRibs or Chalupas. Do you consider them closer to a "chef" or a "scientist?"
The McRib is one of the most grotesquely hilarious foodstuffs I have ever seen. They take a hunk of substandard beef and/or pork byproduct and stamp it into a vaguely rib-like shape... then they slather it with a ketchupy axle grease and slap it on a bun... yummy.

The McRib is the worst culinary abomination since Pizza Hut started injecting Cheez Whiz into the crust of their "pizza".

The people who unleash these horrors upon society aren't chefs or scientists... they're just plain evil bastards.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005

Oh the Crunch enhancer? Yeah it's a non-nutritive cereal varnish. It's semi-permiable. It's not osmotic.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
I say scientists. I may not be a chef, just a plain old line cook, but I don't consider what those guys are doing cooking.

Lil'GlubGlub

You may call me Chef Glub
Sep 3, 2004
Food Scientists and they make a damn good living.

but you need a degree in Food Science or Food Technology.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Neither.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
Next thing you know we'll be calling coffee servers barista's for some fucking reason. Oh, wait......nvm.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
The McRib is one of the most grotesquely hilarious foodstuffs I have ever seen. They take a hunk of substandard beef and/or pork byproduct and stamp it into a vaguely rib-like shape... then they slather it with a ketchupy axle grease and slap it on a bun... yummy.

The McRib is the worst culinary abomination since Pizza Hut started injecting Cheez Whiz into the crust of their "pizza".

The people who unleash these horrors upon society aren't chefs or scientists... they're just plain evil bastards.
Wow! Now I'm starvin', hey Earl we got any McRibs back there?

Chemists

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Sorry, I'm not a hack and I don't do bullshit "food"
Bullshit, everyone is a hack for the right price. Having integrity just means you require more convincing.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
I'd call them chemists.

As for the molecular gastronomy...meh. I'd much rather have a very good meal than to eat some convoluted stuff that tastes like a good meal. Although on Dinner: Impossible they did a meal for magicians in Las Vegas, and that was pretty cool. Meat that looked like cake, ice cream that looked like a hot dog, etc.

Lil'GlubGlub

You may call me Chef Glub
Sep 3, 2004
Next thing you know we'll be calling coffee servers barista's for some fucking reason. Oh, wait......nvm.

Hey, I am a Barista.

It means Bartendar in Italian, because all bars in Italy serve alcohol and coffee drinks.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
I seen a show on Discovery about McDonalds, there head Chefs in their test kitchens where making some really nice meals. The crazy transformation happens some where in between the test kitchens and the restaurants.