Chicago cops who took bag of cash caught in FBI sting

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
By msnbc.com and NBC News

Two Chicago police officers, allegedly thinking they were stealing more than $5,000 in cash from a drug courier, were arrested after it turned out they were being tracked in an undercover sting.

Sgt. Ronald Watts, 48, and Officer Kallat Mohammed, 47, were arrested Sunday night on federal charges alleging they stole $5,200 in government undercover funds on Nov. 21 from a homeless man who claimed to be a drug courier but was working as an FBI informant, reported NBCChicago.com.

The informant had a criminal record, and had been arrested by the officers before, according to a federal criminal complaint unsealed Monday. He wore a wire when he met up with the officers in November.

According to the complaint, Watts and Mohammed, who have worked for the Chicago Police Department for 18 and 14 years, respectively, had told the informant to alert them whenever a drug money transport was in progress.

Three days before the Nov. 21 incident, in a conversation that was wiretapped, the informant told Watts where he could come pick it up, CBS2 in Chicago reported. Watts allegedly then arranged for Mohammed to intercept the money, reported CBS2.

When Mohammed came to pick up the bag from the informant, it contained the cash and a court-authorized tracking device, according to the criminal complaint. Video surveillance then purportedly showed the informant asking Watts for a cut, and Watt allegedly handing over $400 for tipping them off.

"Who always takes care of you?" Watts allegedly asked as he handed the homeless man the money.

"You do, Watts," the informant responded, according to the complaint.

If convicted, Watts and Mohammed could face up to 10 years of prison and a fine of $250,000, said the Chicago division of the FBI.

They were released on $10,000 bond each after appearing in federal court Monday, and are scheduled for a status hearing on Feb. 21, NBCChicago.com reported.

Calls from msnbc.com to the Chicago division of the FBI were not immediately returned.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...cops-who-took-bag-of-cash-caught-in-fbi-sting

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Before clicking, two places came to mind; Chicago or NJ. I'm surprised they didn't get a promotion like the Chicago cop that shot a guy in the head on camera for no reason.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Before clicking, two places came to mind; Chicago or NJ. I'm surprised they didn't get a promotion like the Chicago cop that shot a guy in the head on camera for no reason.
Hmmm, you must be really smart if you narrowed the story down to either Chicago or NJ before clicking on the thread title.

BTW, thread title:

Your insight amazes me sometimes.

sillyfuck

Wackbag Uncle Tom
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
Thread title said Chicago why two places?
What cop that shot a guy? Link please.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Considering Chicago is literally the first word in the title, you're still way behind the curve.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Hmmm, you must be really smart if you narrowed the story down to either Chicago or NJ before clicking on the thread title.

BTW, thread title:

"Chicago cops who took bag of cash caught in FBI sting?"

Your insight amazes me sometimes.

Considering Chicago is literally the first word in the title, you're still way behind the curve.
I win!!!

Fuck we were stumbling over each other to get to that gem. :icon_lol:

Aug 11, 2005
It's Chicago.....do you think anyone is honest?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Guys, give him some slack, it seems our boy Kirk is having a bad day today. Maybe he has allergies.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Guys, give him some slack, it seems our boy Kirk is having a bad day today. Maybe he has allergies.
I don't know but I'll put money that cops are involved in this story.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
[video=youtube;pNQnqwxy9Vc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNQnqwxy9Vc[/video]

4:20

Officer Weans was late to work, as was his partner. He did not have his uniform on and had drawn his gun, keeping his finger on the trigger in violation of department protocol. He later lied about the altercation unaware it was recorded on video tape. He claimed seven people were threatening him and he feared for his life. The city suppressed the tape and recommended officer Weans simply be fired because he had lied. Instead, he was suspended for thirty days. In 2005, officer Weans was promoted to detective and never served any time for the murder of Michael Pleasants.

sillyfuck

Wackbag Uncle Tom
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago

Officer Weans was late to work, as was his partner. He did not have his uniform on and had drawn his gun, keeping his finger on the trigger in violation of department protocol. He later lied about the altercation unaware it was recorded on video tape. He claimed seven people were threatening him and he feared for his life. The city suppressed the tape and recommended officer Weans simply be fired because he had lied. Instead, he was suspended for thirty days. In 2005, officer Weans was promoted to detective and never served any time for the murder of Michael Pleasants.
K watched video. No audio. Kid that got shot was moving towards an officer in a "threatening manner".
And even if he was late to work he was still doing his job.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
So if the cop wasn't late to work he would have arrived at the scene in full uniform. That is one hell of an assumption.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Officer Weans felt bad about it though. I mean, REALLY bad.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

Before clicking on the video, I theorized that this involved a police officer or a boy scout.