OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Chicago teachers' strike

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BIV, Sep 10, 2012.

1. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

And this is interesting:

2. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

The average CPS teacher makes $73K per year not including benefits and pension. They are striking because of an evaluation system being put in place and wanting more pay.

FUCK THEM. Fire them all and let them take their chances in the private sector.

3. jimmyslostchin

jimmyslostchin Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?

Yeah they're kind of a bunch of assholes.

4. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

Any truth to the claim 79% of students aren't proficient in reading and 80% can't do elementary math? And teachers want a raise over the $73K they make on average per year and dont'want to be held accountable for doing a shitty job with their students? Fuck'em.

5. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

Think of it from the perspective of the fat cat, nig-loving Bolsheviks in Chimpcongo...

1. They signed a contract. Overpaid? Don't sign the contract!

2. Let us not bullshit here. CPS is a monkey house and a taco stand. Less than 10 percent White.
    [TABLE="class: CPS_enroll_background, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: h4, colspan: 2"]Total: 404,151 (FY2011-2012)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50%"]Student enrollment Preschool: 24,232
    Kindergarten: 29,594
    Elementary (1-8): 236,452
    Secondary (9-12): 113,873
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 50%"]Student racial breakdown African-American: 41.6%
    Latino: 44.1%
    White: 8.8%
    Asian/Pacific Islander: 3.4%
    Native American: 0.4%
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    You can't educate nigs and spics to a White standard. They have NEVER intellectually met it in any capacity.

3. A teacher who "fails" to educate the little hood rats to a White standard gets fired. Also, it is NEVER the failure of Blacks and Hispanics for being mental lightweights who fiercely loathe and scorn learning. Come on, you can't fire a jockey for losing the Kentucky Derby if you make him ride Slowpoke McGillicuddy the Mule. Sorry, CPS isn't going to have 700 campuses being Stand and Deliver and Dangerous Minds. Or even High School High. What the FUCK are these teachers supposed to be doing?

4. Edit: Administration and School Boards are dominated by complete, roaring non-White, non-Man incompentence.
    CEO is Black, Chief Education Advisor is a Black woman, the "manager of human capital" is a White woman who has never been a teacher but makes 200 grand a year (ooh, plenty of value added there, I'm sure), another woman...some "Chicanos," a French immigrant, I don't know, could we get some White American men to unfuck this situation?

6. Atomic Fireball

Atomic Fireball Well-Known Member
    Donator

7. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Conservative heads asplode?

8. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I have a Facebook friend, and both of his parents are on the picket line, so we've been talking about this. I'm sorry, but until public education takes more steps to become a meritocracy, I just can't support moves like this, ESPECIALLY when we are talking about the city with the highest average teacher salary in the country (74k before benefits), in a city where the average family income is 47k, and the education is far from top notch. Teachers don't deserve good salaries. GOOD teachers deserve good salaries.

9. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Nice haircuts deeks.

10. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

I thought one of the other issues was the extra hour of school a day that the city passed without any input from the schools or unions.
    And If I got 73 k per year from my 12 hour a day job with sick days, vacation days, and a two month vacation..I'd be happier than a pig in shit.

11. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

you'd need at least a masters degree and about 20 years on the job to make that.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/June-2011/Chicago-Teacher-Salaries-The-Long-View/
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...s-best-paid-or-not-depending-who-you-ask.html

and in New York a masters with 20 years on the job would earn you ~$90k.

12. Hudson

Donator

I don't remember if Chicago had it, I do remember New York City and all of NJ having an alternate route system where if you didn't have a teaching degree you could teach but had to get sponsored for an education degree. You earned while you learned..and some schools if you paid an additional amt of money..you got a masters.

13. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

well there are two steps... a degree in your topic and a teaching credential... i think that is what you are refering to as "your teaching degree"...

there was a time when there was a shortage of teachers. One could get a job with just a degree and not a credential, if you taught with a mentor for a certain period of time and were currently studying for your credential.

that is different than having a masters degree in your particular topic.

One can have a masters degree in math, but not be qualified to teach math in a middle school.

nearly all schools will give a boost in pay for an advanced degree in your topic area. The top salaries you are seeing in this discussion (Chicago teachers strike) are for people with PhD's in their topic area and 25 years or so in the system... I think one story said that pay range tops out at ~$90k.

starting salary in CPS for someone with a BA/BS and a teaching credential was in the ~$45k area. Not as much as some other large cities with high costs of living and tough teaching conditions (read... demographics of the school population)

14. Hudson

Donator

No..you taught under a mentor while you got the Education degree and then the credentials at least in NJ. I know 4 people who had to do it that way.

15. THRILLHO

THRILLHO Registered User

16. ShiftyMH

ShiftyMH Registered User

These beasts look like they should spend a few weeks walking around in a picket line.

17. Mommadeez4u

Mommadeez4u Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling

This.

18. Myhairygrundle

Myhairygrundle Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I am too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure someone will copy and paste it for the class to see. I heard on the news yesterday that the graduation rate for CPS is somewhere around 50%. But the graduation rate for private/charter schools is over 90% with teachers getting a lot less than those union water buffaloes.

This is one area where the private sector produces a much better product (students) at a lower cost.

19. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

I would, however, like to see the racial/income difference between the students. It's much easier to get better numbers when you can choose who attends your school.

20. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Stupid is what stupid does. You can't teach stupid students who are too stupid to learn.

21. Myhairygrundle

Myhairygrundle Screw you guys, I'm going home.

True, but it would be much better if school vouchers were used. Places like DC spend something like 18k per student. If the parents had that money as a voucher to send their kid to the school of their choice, things would be much more gooder.

22. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

That pretty much sums it up.

23. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Fixed

When will conservatives learn basic math and figure out that vouchers don't work.

If the government gave everyone $10,000 per kid and told them to find a school to go to, do you think every school would cost $10,000 that you'd want to send your kid to? Just look at the digital set top box fiasco to see how well that voucher scheme worked out for everyone.

24. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

uhmmm... a degree in "education" doesnt qualify one to teach say.... math.

but who knows their situation or what they were going to teach.

25. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

figure that the income level would be different for kids going to private school and the amount that the parents give a shit is going to be vastly different. That is going to be the main factor in how well a student does.

"Private School" is not some magic pill. Send a low income kid with parents that dont give a shit that is doing poorly in public school to a "private school" with a voucher in his/her hand... he or she is still going to do poorly. The organization running the school doesnt make a hill or beans difference.