Chicago & West Palm Beach are history too !! [MERGED]

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/621262,CST-FIN-feder26.article

No mention of O&A, but Mankkfjfhdhsjk is at the bottom.

Steve, meet Jack
Dahl appears set to leave afternoons at WCKG to host mornings on WJMK

October 26, 2007
BY ROBERT FEDER Sun-Times Columnist
As Steve Dahl approaches his 30th year on the air in Chicago, he's expected to change stations and time slots.

No one is supposed to know it yet, but sources say Dahl is poised to join WJMK-FM (104.3), the adult hits station called "Jack FM," as morning personality. Since the format has been airing with no disc jockeys, he would be the station's only on-air host.

» Click to enlarge image

Steve Dahl inside his studio in Chicago.
(John J. Kim/Sun-Times)

The move, which could take place early next month, is tied to the impending format change at FM talker WCKG-FM (105.9), where Dahl has been the afternoon franchise since 1996. Both stations are owned by CBS Radio.

The future format of WCKG, which also airs Bulls basketball, has not yet been announced.

Dahl, 52, who reportedly has more than three years left on his multimillion-dollar contract, said earlier this month that he has "the ability to decide whether or not I want to be moved." He still could change his mind, but sources say he has given his blessing to the new assignment.

I tried to reach out to Dahl this week, but he did not respond.

Although he has enjoyed his greatest success in afternoons, Dahl began his career here in mornings, first at the former WDAI in 1978 and more notably in his first run at WLUP-FM (97.9) from 1979 to 1981. He also hosted mornings at WMVP-AM (1000) just before joining WCKG.

Despite the dire fortunes of WCKG -- particularly since the departure of Howard Stern's syndicated morning show -- Dahl consistently has delivered ratings at or near the top of his target demographic.

In Arbitron's summer survey, Dahl ranked second among men between the ages of 25 and 54 with a 5.2 share. He was behind Spanish-language WOJO-FM (105.1) by one-tenth of a point.

TRACKING:
Amy & Mancow?
Amy Jacobson, whose firing last July after more than 10 years as a reporter at NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5 made national news, taped a TV pilot Thursday with radio host Mancow Muller for Fox News Channel.

Their segments together were shot at the Loop loft where Muller broadcasts his syndicated morning radio show.

No word yet on when the pilot will air or whether it will get picked up as a regular series.

Jacobson was hired at Channel 5 by news boss Joel Cheatwood, who's now senior vice president of development for Fox.

DIALING:
Top 40 giants convene
• • Chicago radio veterans John Records Landecker and Fred Winston will join New York's Dan Ingram Nov. 2 on a panel of legendary Top 40 jocks, hosted by the Chicago chapter of the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists.

Doug James will moderate the event, which starts at 6 p.m. at Columbia College's Film Row Cinema, 1104 S. Wabash. It's free and open to the public.

Ingram will be in town for his induction Nov. 3 into the Radio Hall of Fame.

• • Tommy Edwards, is returning for his 16th year as the public-address announcer for Bulls games at the United Center.

Earlier in the week, he reprised his role there at a Nike event when he introduced Michael Jordan to celebrate the 23rd year of Jordan's shoe brand. (Jordan's number on the Bulls, in case anyone forgot, was 23.)

Edwards continues as morning personality on Bonneville International rhythmic oldies WILV-FM (100.3).

• • Adrien DeLoach resigned this week after 11 years as a weekend news anchor and traffic reporter for Metro Networks Shadow Broadcast Services. He cited the need to care for his mother, who is ailing.

For most of his 24 years on air in Chicago -- including stints at the former WJJD, WJMK and WVON -- DeLoach was known as Adrien St. James.

• • Devotion to Accuracy Department: Don Corey, the St. Louis radio personality whose passing was noted Thursday, is not the Don Corey who once worked at Chicago stations WLAK, WFYR and WAIT.

I know that now because the Chicago Don Corey, who lives in the north suburbs and still hosts a syndicated old-time radio show, called to say so. Believe it or not, he was really nice about it, too.

B

Bruhe

WCKG format doesn't bode well for O&A

i fear that if WCKG flips formats and if Dahl leaves, then clearly everyone else including O&A are gone... unless there's contractual stuff or contingency plans I'm not aware of.

M

mdr33173

It's a done deal.

i fear that if WCKG flips formats and if Dahl leaves, then clearly everyone else including O&A are gone... unless there's contractual stuff or contingency plans I'm not aware of.
I was listening to Mac, Jurko and Harry show (espn1000 chicago). last week and they said that it was already confirmed that is was going all spanish next month and that espn1000 was in talks with the bulls to broadcast games.

Jan 15, 2005
Uppity CT
CBS radio is a sinking ship as far as O & A are concered ....get out while you can still save some dignity ....please.

XM all day .

Vic Mackey

Jay Marriotti is a heiney-bird
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
It sucks because if people had actually known who they are or where and when they were on, they would have done better here. WCKG put up some billboards for about a month, but nothing after that. It also didn't help that they didn't do a Virus tour or come here for a week either. There are no other real stations here that they would fit in at that are looking for a morning show.

coolyellowbus

May 4, 2005
Living in a nation of Earls
It sucks because if people had actually known who they are or where and when they were on, they would have done better here. WCKG put up some billboards for about a month, but nothing after that.

ru kidding. just about every bus in the city had OnAs face plastered on them for atleast two months.

C

chi/townO&A fan

I didn't see any bus signs but did see billboards.
I work third shift so im on the road from 1am to around 11am and O&A got me thru the mornings,I have been looking at xm receivers since they mentioned that they where going to get yanked here in chicago.but I have to get permission from my boss to take out the stock radio on the truck so i can get installed a radio with xm ready capabilty so I can get a XM subscription.........JUAN

Gladys kravitz

Dec 2, 2006
Illinois
When is faggot Feder going to finally give a public display of Hummer Tuesdays to Mancunt. This guy just can't get enough of that ass. And for WCKG, the little advertising that I did see was the O@A commercial during the Blackhawk games on comcast.

ebrecher

May 16, 2007
Could it be over for the boys??

Maybe the boys aren't as popular as we hoped they would be. They just don't appeal to a large mass of people like they do to us pests. That just means that they will likely earn less money. But there will always be an outlet in which the core constituent fans will be able to hear their greatness, so I wouldn't be concerned about losing the boys!!!

atxklown

Will you do me a Kindness
Jan 26, 2004
Austin TX
So is losing She-Kaw-Go going to be another 4 hour bitchfest on the radio?

XM All Day

Squat Toilet

Jun 13, 2006
Chicago
I don't think OnA got a fair chance here in Chicago. I didn't see them on the side of buses. The only billboard I saw was the one on 294. I told everybody I could about them, but my brother was the only one who got the Virus.( he bought an XM the first month he heard them ) It really sucks they are not getting a fair chance in the Windy City and now they will never do a live show in Chicago. XM for me.

Paulie

Just two men being men
Apr 23, 2005
The problems with WCKG happened a long time before the bbboys came along. I think it all goes back to when Dahl was stuck on WMVP. He's talked about what an insult he felt that was. Once he got to WCKG, he made sure to surround himself with nothing but "yes" men. He got rid of Kevin Matthews from Midday and replaced them with Stan and Terry ( two of his regulars on his show). He got rid of his sidekick Dave because he was the only one standing up to him on his show and put Buzz and Wendy in as his sidekicks. Buzz and Wendy became such suck ups, it was almost embarassing to listen to. He got his kid on weekends and then at night. (which is just a horrid show) Then when Garry Mier blew up his career for the second time with his wife/agent negotiating bad deals, Garry came to WCKG with his tail between his legs and was sucking up to Dahl again. The only one he didn't have control over was Hoo-Hoo. And if you remember, Hoo-Hoo's rating weren't all that great either. So once Hoo-Hoo left, you had an entire station of Dahl yes men plus a virtual unknown in Rover. Once Rover tanked, you put in the boys and Mier in the mornings and Mier has already had one disasterous solo outing. The bbboys were in an absolute no win situation in Chicago. It is a shame. I always loved Dahl growing, but he has been on steady decline since the WMVP days and I believe that it was his paranoia that ran WCKG into the crown. Hoo Hoo leaving was just one last of many nails in the coffin for the station.

NorfCal

S.H.A.D.O.
Sep 2, 2002
fuck off
Maybe the boys aren't as popular as we hoped they would be. They just don't appeal to a large mass of people like they do to us pests. That just means that they will likely earn less money. But there will always be an outlet in which the core constituent fans will be able to hear their greatness, so I wouldn't be concerned about losing the boys!!!
You're a faggot. No wavey hand.

Feb 20, 2007
Maybe the boys aren't as popular as we hoped they would be. They just don't appeal to a large mass of people like they do to us pests.

----Talking like that, you dont sound like a pest.

That just means that they will likely earn less money.
But there will always be an outlet in which the core constituent fans will be able to hear their greatness, so I wouldn't be concerned about losing the boys!!!
Maybe your just an ASS who does not know what he is talking about. You dont even LINGER LONGER for two fucking days to know what Opies true motivation is on FM, and it aint fucking money asshat. They want to do good, and have more people listen.

Stop trying to put real Pests down, troll.

Scuba Steve

We Will Never Forget XM202. Suck My Fucking Cock
Jul 20, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
its time to go back to the good old days of xm only.. then we could have more super ball contests, American mess and the freedom that only satellite can provide. It is clear that CBS give two flying fucks about opie and anthony. It is time for the xm only show again.

ebrecher

May 16, 2007
The Best Pest

I don't understand why I am being attacked. I'm very upset about the shiz going down with CBS and the horrible arbitron ratings. I just think we shouldn't be making excuses for their lack of success and accept that the show may be geared to a smaller niche listening audience. 200,000 plus readers however is very good and there will always be a place for the boys on radio. Personally, I believe the show is as good as it's ever been and getting better and is the best thing on the radio.

So peace to my fellow pest brothers!

Freese

Ramone and Frunkis-Since '83
Oct 1, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
*WOOP WOOP WOOP* ZOMBIE ALERT *WOOP WOOP WOOP*

"200,000 plus readers however is very good and there will always be a place for the boys on radio."

Oct 7, 2007
Cleveland
The problems with WCKG happened a long time before the bbboys came along. I think it all goes back to when Dahl was stuck on WMVP. He's talked about what an insult he felt that was. Once he got to WCKG, he made sure to surround himself with nothing but "yes" men. He got rid of Kevin Matthews from Midday and replaced them with Stan and Terry ( two of his regulars on his show). He got rid of his sidekick Dave because he was the only one standing up to him on his show and put Buzz and Wendy in as his sidekicks. Buzz and Wendy became such suck ups, it was almost embarassing to listen to. He got his kid on weekends and then at night. (which is just a horrid show) Then when Garry Mier blew up his career for the second time with his wife/agent negotiating bad deals, Garry came to WCKG with his tail between his legs and was sucking up to Dahl again. The only one he didn't have control over was Hoo-Hoo. And if you remember, Hoo-Hoo's rating weren't all that great either. So once Hoo-Hoo left, you had an entire station of Dahl yes men plus a virtual unknown in Rover. Once Rover tanked, you put in the boys and Mier in the mornings and Mier has already had one disasterous solo outing. The bbboys were in an absolute no win situation in Chicago. It is a shame. I always loved Dahl growing, but he has been on steady decline since the WMVP days and I believe that it was his paranoia that ran WCKG into the crown. Hoo Hoo leaving was just one last of many nails in the coffin for the station.
HAHAHAHA What the hell do you guys have going on over there in good old Chicago? Your radio lineup sounds like the soap opera "DAYS OF OUR LIVES".
Maybe thats why the market sucks for new talent, everyone's tuning in everyday to see who's the father of what baby, who came back to life, who turned into a women, and who got the brain transplant, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago, but geez. Do they still run geritol commercials?:huh:

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
More evidence today on the Chicago Tribune website…

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...sradio,1,152086.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Bulls making an 'MVP move
Back on AM radio this year as WCKG mulls format change

By Ed Sherman
Tribune sports media reporter

October 26, 2007, 9:24 PM CDT

The Bulls are returning to their old radio home.

The team will announce next week it has signed a five-year deal with WMVP-AM 1000 beginning with Wednesday night's opener.

The Bulls are leaving WCKG-FM 105.9 after one year because the station reportedly is planning a format change.

Instead of WMVP paying the Bulls a rights fee, the team will take the package "in house," essentially buying time on the station and then selling its own ads. The setup, which the Bulls started last year for radio, was considered profitable for the team, generating a reported $2 million in income.

The Bulls had a long relationship with WMVP dating to the heyday of the Michael Jordan era in the 1990s. The rights fee, peaking at $4 million per year, was considered the best in the NBA.

However, when Jordan retired the Bulls went through several lean years, and the team's radio ratings plummeted. As a result, WMVP took a financial beating.

When the contract expired after the 2005-06 season, negotiations produced no deal. So the Bulls then decided to take a gamble by going away from a traditional AM outlet and hook up with an FM station.

The Bulls had planned to be on WCKG again this year, but talks about a new format for the station led the team to find a new outlet less than a week before the start of the season.

Returning to WMVP should be a good move for the Bulls. They should benefit by again being aligned with an all-sports station, which will give them heavy promotion among sports listeners throughout the day. Also, WMVP's stronger signal will allow the Bulls to be heard for greater distances.

Neil Funk and Bill Wennington still will be on the call when the Bulls open the season Wednesday night at New Jersey.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
except for some bad spelling ,pualies pretty dead on. chicago is the biggest small town in the country. we like whats ours. we like deep dish pizza, we call pop "pop, we dont put ketchup or catsup on hot dogs and we argue over celery salt on dogs to. dah is chicago radio. not my opinion but basically a fact. brandmier was gone for years and we took him back in the mornings(he still on?) this city aint syndication city. its not that O&A arent a great show, its that well....they aint here, and the buzz did run like wildfire. it sucks, im sorry,i turned on some people and turned some off to the boys, i even converted former stern fan because we car pooled for 3 months. i think i lost my point so this ends my post.