Childhood racism and other fun

MurphCO

Donator
I grew up a Military brat, meaning my Dad was in the Air Force and we lived all over the place with all sorts of mixed races of people in different countries. We always had some semblance of the same crew of people because of the specialized nature of my Dads job so we were in multiple places with the same people often.....

My Dads friends as I remember them were:

SpearChucker (taken from mash)
Taco
Ski
Sweet Steve & Al (gay dudes)
Dago
Hebe
Zorba
And Dave

The nicknames are pretty easy to place right? No one was offended, no one complained, they all had these names on their bowling shirts and softball uniforms, it was a matter of pride....except Dave, I think they purposely didn’t give him a name to fuck with him because he was the youngest guy, lowest rank etc.

SpearChucker was married to a Filipino and their son was mixed, we called him frog

Dago was married to a German, Hebe was married to a Puerto Rican.....shit was all over the place.

All of us kids played smear the queer, had no idea what queer was and BTW SweetSteve taught us the game in the first place.

We even had a Filipino kid with Vitiligo mixed in there we called spots.

When did this change and people get so fucking butthurt about being different? And what racist (now) shit do you remember from your childhood? I’ve always been amazed at racism, that people get so offended.....blows my mind

DiggerNick

Donator
We were such racist little bastards as kids, and had no idea.

In school we used to sing that old nursery rhyme: "Eeenie, meanie, mynee mo, catch a n!gger by the toe..." I was shocked, years later, when I heard kids from other countries say the word 'tiger'.

We were also find of singing: "Daniel Boone was a man. He was a biiiiig man! But the bear was bigger so he ran like a n!gger up a treeeee!"

Whenever I would say to by Dad "It's not fair!" he would say: "Left side of a n!gger's arse is never fair." Or if Mum wasn't around and I asked him where she was he would say: "She's run away with the black fellas."

I used to draw pictures in class of a muscular dude with a flat-top, colour him brown and label them 'Arnold Schwarzen!gger'.

My grandfather had a black and brown dog called 'Darkie'.

I had a black friend all through school (his mother was from Papua New Guinea) and I can't barely remember the sheer volume of names we used to call him. 'Chocolate Drop' is one I do remember. Great guy. The first person I went to school with who got married.

We had a couple of Indonesian kids come to our school when I was in 2nd grade and they had to leave because we bullied them so much. I actually still feel bad about that one.

We had a French exchange student come to our high school who was there for all of three days before going back home. He never stood a chance. Mind you, every time you tried to say anything to him he would splutter out: "Your muzzer... er... sucks... er... fat cocks."

Us Aussies are proud of our racism, sexism and homophobia. We make it charming.

Bobobie

We didn't have any black people, but we used all those racist words. On this side of the State, they all resided in Saginaw or Flint. Within the city limits, none lived out in the county. Dad said it was because they stored all the Government cheese and powdered milk over there and they didn't have to walk as far to stand in line. I didn't know rural black people even existed until living in Florida in the 90's. Seriously, in Michigan they still live mostly live in Enclaves in built up urban areas. The most racist areas of Michigan are up north where there is only one black person for every 100 miles. Seriously, it's like the deep south in Port Huron. I never understood the hate, they were a thousand times more unlikely to run across a black person than I was as a kid.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I have a book that was given to me by my grandfather (one of the only things he ever gave me) it was “little black sambo”

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
I have a book that was given to me by my grandfather (one of the only things he ever gave me) it was “little black sambo”
I have that same book too from when they cleaned out my grandmother's house in 2012 after she died. I've sometimes wondered how fast it would cause a whole big to-do if I snuck it into the circulation of the local library :D

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
I grew up a Military brat, meaning my Dad was in the Air Force and we lived all over the place with all sorts of mixed races of people in different countries. We always had some semblance of the same crew of people because of the specialized nature of my Dads job so we were in multiple places with the same people often.....

Taco
Ski
Dago
Hebe
Zorba
And Dave

The nicknames are pretty easy to place right? No one was offended, no one complained, they all had these names on their bowling shirts and softball uniforms, it was a matter of pride....except Dave, I think they purposely didn’t give him a name to fuck with him because he was the youngest guy, lowest rank etc.

SpearChucker was married to a Filipino and their son was mixed, we called him frog

Dago was married to a German, Hebe was married to a Puerto Rican.....shit was all over the place.

All of us kids played smear the queer, had no idea what queer was and BTW SweetSteve taught us the game in the first place.

When did this change and people get so fucking butthurt about being different? And what racist (now) shit do you remember from your childhood? I’ve always been amazed at racism, that people get so offended.....blows my mind
What was your dad's nickname?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Those souvenir bats you got from the baseball game we used to call N!QQER Be Quick Sticks

Stig

The Star of Wackbag. Without me, you have nothing.

Taco
Ski
Dago
Hebe
Zorba
And Dave

I'm triggered by your use of the word "Dave."

THE FEZ MAN

I have that same book too from when they cleaned out my grandmother's house in 2012 after she died. I've sometimes wondered how fast it would cause a whole big to-do if I snuck it into the circulation of the local library :D
Is it the little one that says he chased the tiger around the tree till they turned to butter or “ghee” as the Indians call it? Then he eats pancakes with the tiger butter

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Is it the little one that says he chased the tiger around the tree till they turned to butter or “ghee” as the Indians call it? Then he eats pancakes with the tiger butter
YEP. Same one. And he and his mammy aren't just illustrated black, they're **BLACK** like they just came out of swimming in an ink well :haha7:

If people weren't so butthurt about everything, that book really isn't meant to be insulting or racist. Dated perhaps but it wasn't written to be offensive towards anyone.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
What a bunch of hacks we all were/are. We're all just running around looking for humor in the same damn nicknames for literal decades.

That's odd. My dad was in the Air Force for 28 years, retired when I was in high school. I remember being very little, and seeing my first negro, all the kids were looking at his hands and feet because they were white on the bottom. Looking back I imagine he was prolly traumatized by us white kids.
When we lived in Germany all the kids from the apartment block were playing outside, and this little Canadian kid was staring at our black friend, and finally said "why did you paint yourself?" .

Haeder

South Dakota
Before the smirking Catholic kid triggered the race war with his unforgivable facial expression one of the nearby Hebrew Israelites called a native fella "Uncle Tomahawk ". But that was a long long time ago.

click

Those souvenir bats you got from the baseball game we used to call N!QQER Be Quick Sticks
We used to call them NBC sticks. Ni**er be cool. You always had an nbc stick in
your car. Not a souvenir bat though

ysr50

Donator
I had a buddy in elementary school named Corbett, he was a black kid, we got along as if we'd already known each other our entire lives. He would stay the weekend at my house and see the sort of hijinks white kids got up to when we weren't in school. Then I went and stayed at his house. His family lived in a townhouse complex that was predominantly black, to say I wasn't welcome there would be an understatement. We tried to play some informal football and I damn near had my head taken off by one of the kids there. The racism was very strong with these people. The next day was sunday, and we were going to church. I got up, put on my nice clothes and brushed my hair the best I could. It was around that time that Corbetts dad insisted we go upstairs to look at something, he had pooped and part of it was neon green. Apparently this very was important. We eventually loaded up into their Cadillac Seville and headed to the church, my prescence was not wanted or appreciated by the other parishioners and as soon as we got back I called my parents to come pick me up. I have never spent any time with a more racist group than I did that weekend. I remained friends with Corbett until I got kicked out of the private Christian school we both attended, but I never set foot in his house or he in mine from that point forward.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Why not he in yours? Sounds to me like that end of the relationship was healthy and friendly. Corbett might have had the courage from those experiences to denounce the racism in his side of town?

MurphCO

Donator
After we moved to Colorado one of my best friends was Mexican, regular family just one kid though....his dad sold insurance...in the summers I went with them sometimes to their family ranch in New Mexico. All of his relatives there kind of hated white people, they liked calling me Anglo...they also had issues with his Mom and Dad being whitewashed, not Mexican enough

One of his older cousins tried to get into it with me once and an uncle beat his ass, like punching and kicking him, a real beating.....that kid really hated me after that, I stopped going down there

ysr50

Donator
Why not he in yours? Sounds to me like that end of the relationship was healthy and friendly. Corbett might have had the courage from those experiences to denounce the racism in his side of town?
No, apparently it was normal to him and he never offered any explanation or apology for his families and neighbors behavior.

THE FEZ MAN

No, apparently it was normal to him and he never offered any explanation or apology for his families and neighbors behavior.
Because white peoples are bad. I don't have any black friends anymore, a few that if I'm in a bar and see them I will sit down and chat but that's it

I'm gonna guess a 1/3 of one of my high schools was black... but either first or second generation immigrants with mothers and fathers at home who worked. So they were not unlike the European wipo that went to the school.

Not now of course, the area (Malvern) has a nice gang presence, shootings and they even moved the cop closer to the area...

Now once I married Drunky Von Cumsponge (Bawferston Irish) hooo boy is she a rayciss... makes me look like Shaun King.

MurphCO

Donator
No one in my recollection in my childhood ever found any of this racist

vadersnutz

Taco
Ski
Dago
Hebe
Zorba
And Dave

My pop was an Air Force crew chief, in the 50'-70's his stories are similar to yours!