China hacked into Pentagon computer network: report

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Tue Sep 4, 12:02 AM ET

BEIJING (AFP) - China's military successfully hacked into the Pentagon's computer network, raising fears it could disrupt the US defence department's systems, the Financial Times reported Tuesday.

The Chinese military's cyber attack was carried out in June following months of efforts, the London-based newspaper said, citing unnamed current and former US officials.

While the Pentagon declined to say who was behind the hacking, which led to the shutdown of a computer system serving the office of Defence Secretary Robert Gates, officials told the paper it was China's People's Liberation Army.

"The PLA has demonstrated the ability to conduct attacks that disable our system," the paper quoted a former US official as saying.

One senior US official reportedly said the Pentagon had pinpointed the exact origin of the attack.

The paper quoted another person familiar with the event as saying there was a "very high level of confidence... trending towards total certainty" that the PLA was responsible.

The paper said both the US and Chinese militaries were widely assumed to conduct computer espionage on each other.

"But US officials said the penetration in June raised concerns to a new level because of fears that China had shown it could disrupt systems at critical times," the Financial Times reported.

A spokesman for the Chinese defence ministry declined to comment on the report when contacted by AFP on Tuesday.

China's foreign ministry also declined to comment immediately, asking for questions to be faxed through.

Reports of China hacking into German government systems were also raised last week between Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao and visiting German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

German weekly Der Spiegel reported that espionage programmes traced to the PLA had been detected in computer systems at Merkel's office, the foreign ministry and other government agencies in Berlin.

"We in the government took (the reports) as a matter of grave concern," Wen said after meeting Merkel.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Oh, now it makes more sense. I didn't think wrestlers were that smart.

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
I blame the business lobbyists who pushed for free trade with China and Clinton for giving them "most favored nation" trading status. Those greedy bastards sold out their country for the profits from cheap, defective Chinese goods.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
listen to your resident geek, when the say ur at risk.

prob just a hack for testing security and vulnerability.

no one ever listens till its too late.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
listen to your resident geek, when the say ur at risk.

prob just a hack for testing security and vulnerability.

no one ever listens till its too late.
Firesale, it's going to be a firesale.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
I doubt this was a highly classified system. Information is classified at several different levels with each level incorporating more complex security enhancements.

By the way, I'm not saying anything here that isn't public knowledge or in the public domain.

My guess is that the release or leak of this story is politically motivated.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Firesale, it's going to be a firesale.
um, no.
but good movie.
u even pointed that out in this post
----

I doubt this was a highly classified system. Information is classified at several different levels with each level incorporating more complex security enhancements.

By the way, I'm not saying anything here that isn't public knowledge or in the public domain.

My guess is that the release or leak of this story is politically motivated.
i agree, there is no reason to air this at all.
fishing and or political.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
When are we just going to move to the moon. Then nuke the planet. Then move back to Earth when all the Arabs, Chinese and other Shitdicks are dead and the radiation levels go away.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
When are we just going to move to the moon. Then nuke the planet. Then move back to Earth when all the Arabs, Chinese and other Shitdicks are dead and the radiation levels go away.
when we're done playing this game of life : religion vs science. and get a sustainable atmosphere there.

and to really take this thread off track, your statement reminds me of a tom rhodes bit about inter breeding till we all become a grayish color. great theory/bit. i heard it first from his comedy central presents routine.

DoucheMeister

I'm a douche!
Jun 2, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
If they had hacked into a truly sensitive system, no way would they ever admit it.

They probably just got a list of lunch's for the white house press corp. And Cheney was hoping the food would be poisoned.