Chinese Ginger Recalled...

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
California Department of Public Health Warns Consumers Not to Eat Fresh Ginger From China

Suanne Buggy
(916) 440-7259

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Sacramento, CA -- July 29, 2007 -- Dr. Mark Horton, director of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), today warned consumers not to eat fresh ginger imported from China after the California Department of Pesticide Regulation’s residue monitoring program detected the presence of aldicarb sulfoxide in some batches of imported ginger. Aldicarb sulfoxide is a pesticide that is not approved for use on ginger.

The product is known to have been distributed to Albertson's stores and Save Mart stores in northern California by Christopher Ranch of Gilroy, California.

CDPH and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are tracing the imported ginger from the importer (Modern Trading Inc. in Alhambra, California) to determine the full distribution of the product and to identify other retail stores that may have received the product.

Currently, there are no reports of illness associated with the contaminated ginger.

Consumers who may have purchased this product from Albertson's stores and Save Mart stores in northern California should discard it.

Symptoms of aldicarb poisoning in humans are likely to occur within the first hour following exposure. Ingestion of foods contaminated with aldicarb at low levels can cause flu-like symptoms (nausea, headache, blurred vision) which disappear quickly, usually within 5 or 6 hours. However, at higher levels, ingestion of aldicarb contaminated food can also cause dizziness, salivation, excessive sweating, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle stiffness and twitching, and difficulty in breathing.

Individuals who may have consumed this product and have any of the above symptoms should contact their health care provider immediately.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/cdph207_07.html
Charming...

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
I don't understand how we're importing food products from these savages.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
I got food poisoning from my trip to China last week. But it was from shell fish. I think it was from this restaurant which was in the chinese ghetto, the kitchen was the guys apartment and the dining area was the street. You pointed at the live sea animal you wanted and they would go in their apartment and cook it (quite good but not gutted). To go to the bathroom you used the bathroom in their apartment.

The food poisoning ward in the hospital was awesome, you go in, it's a tiny line, they take you to your own room and immediately with out tests give you anti-biotics and an IV drip. No forms, no bullshit, no delay before you can get your meds. All of it for $30. And you leave when you want, you don't get charged for staying in the room. I got better in 24-36 hours.

It was actually a romantic dinner, we had cold beers and sea food by the ocean side. We had sea snails and these mussle like things.

Most of the food in China is amazing though and cooked / prepared well.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
The food poisoning ward in the hospital was awesome, you go in, it's a tiny line, they take you to your own room and immediately with out tests give you anti-biotics and an IV drip.
They didn't ask for a medical history to see if you might have a potential allergic reaction to the anti-biotics?

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You
The food poisoning ward in the hospital was awesome, you go in, it's a tiny line, they take you to your own room and immediately with out tests give you anti-biotics and an IV drip. No forms, no bullshit, no delay before you can get your meds. All of it for $30. And you leave when you want, you don't get charged for staying in the room. I got better in 24-36 hours.
I could give you about 50 reasons just off the top of my head why this hardly qualifies as "awsome" medical treatment. You got seriously lucky bro. I have been expossed to "health care" in China as well. Next time you are there take a little visit to a dentist and you will get a serious attitude adjustment in regards to their lais·sez faire attitudes towards "treatment".

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Yep, no tests to check against allergy. Where-as in the US you would do the tests, pay extra, and have to wait (in the mean while the infection gets worse) in China they immediately give you the cure. Which one out of 1000 cases would save more lives? Who knows, but the Chinese version is quicker, more comfortable, and cheaper.

Another interesting thing is the antibiotics were OTC.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
It's My Birthday!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
They're gonna be caught quite literally telling joke and doing peepee in our Coke in just a short while.... you watch!

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Yep, no tests to check against allergy. Where-as in the US you would do the tests, pay extra, and have to wait (in the mean while the infection gets worse) in China they immediately give you the cure. Which one out of 1000 cases would save more lives? Who knows, but the Chinese version is quicker, more comfortable, and cheaper.

Another interesting thing is the antibiotics were OTC.
And I am sure those antibiotics were pharmaceutical grade... :icon_eek:

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
They were pretty mild, made me a little drowsy is all. I think the reason they worked so well was because I started taking them quickly after getting sick. Also they might have been specially designed for stomach bacteria.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
They were pretty mild, made me a little drowsy is all. I think the reason they worked so well was because I started taking them quickly after getting sick. Also they might have been specially designed for stomach bacteria.
[Dr Evil]Riiiiiight[/Dr Evil] All I can say is China is the wild west for drugs and such...

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/dentfresh07_07.html (I know toothpaste dude... some asshole in a factory in China misread Diethylene Glycol (when making a batch of toothpaste) instead of Propyelene glycol so would not even want to guess what they gave you... gah.

Oh wicked quick search of "Chinese forged drugs"

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/science/2006/05/30/china_drug/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20028465/

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
This is how they weaken us before their slow, crushing takeover of the world.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
They just recalled a bunch of toys made in China because they're made of lead paint. When you make a toy that you know will be eaten by a few retards, why would you make it with lead paint? If this was the very first toy ever, fine. But it's 2000 fucking 7. Is it cheaper? Do they just hope we won't notice?

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Good riddance to the toy eating rug rats.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
They just recalled a bunch of toys made in China because they're made of lead paint. When you make a toy that you know will be eaten by a few retards, why would you make it with lead paint? If this was the very first toy ever, fine. But it's 2000 fucking 7. Is it cheaper? Do they just hope we won't notice?
Cost seems to drive most of it... like my buddy sources automotive tooling in China and he can get four molds made there for the cost of one made here. And some of the horrors he saw in main land... like green rivers of cadminum etc...

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
Nov 4, 2002
Shitsville, NY
Any word on Chinese Maryanne ? is she still on Girrigan's Irand ?

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
Nov 4, 2002
Shitsville, NY
Cost seems to drive most of it... like my buddy sources automotive tooling in China and he can get four molds made there for the cost of one made here. And some of the horrors he saw in main land... like green rivers of cadminum etc...
Maybe the American manufacturing sector will see a comeback.