Chocolate Jesus Sculpture Makes Gallery Debut in NYC

MJMANDALAY

NEW YORK (AP) -- A controversial chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ went on exhibit Saturday at a Manhattan gallery.

Artist Cosimo Cavallaro says he's "anxious" after "six months of worry and anticipation."

The anatomically correct milk chocolate piece, called "My Sweet Lord," infuriated Catholics last spring. It was scheduled to be displayed in a different gallery, visible from the street, during Holy Week. The exhibit was canceled.

The Catholic League says it still doesn't approve of the piece but won't protest this time. The group says the change of date and location makes the exhibit less offensive.

The new exhibit is at the Proposition Gallery. Co-owner Ronald Sosinski says "the idea is not to do something sacriligeous."

The show also features a set of chocolate Catholic icons created by Cavallaro.

mascan42

Wasn't the original point to display it at Easter using the rationale that it was at least closer to the spirit of the holiday than a chocolate bunny?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Wasn't the original point to display it at Easter using the rationale that it was at least closer to the spirit of the holiday than a chocolate bunny?
I tend to ignore things that get the Catholic League upset, but I think that was the story.

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
Is someone making a giant chocolate rock ?