Christmas Dinner Question

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Is the Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? And is the tradition a roast, a goose, a turkey or a ham? That's always bugged me.

(And yes, I am aware of Italians making lasagna and other Italian dishes for Christmas.)

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Got me. I don't stand on tradition.
Tonight we're having shrimp and king crab legs.
Tomorrow we're going to a friend's house and having lasagna,
meatballs and roast beef and ham.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Christmas day and hams are popular, not that any female in my family ever so much as toasted bread. I'm actually cooking tomorrow.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
I'm making shrimp scampi over pasta for tonight and tomorrow we're going to Legal Seafood. Can't really cook a proper Christmas dinner for only 2 people. But there are lots of cookies!

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I believe it's Christmas Day for the dinner and turkey or goose (regionally) with a secondary main course of ham.

On the other hand I'm about to go to the store and get some rib eyes because it's just me and my girlfriend and I want a damn steak. Of course, we're going to be eating them with sides of bread, potatoes and hydro, but we're trying to make a new tradition.

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
We have all sorts of seafood on the eve and then turkey and whatnot on xmas night. Xmas and Thanksgiving are the same food at our house.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
We are doing ham.....and maybe a turkey again, dont know yet.

GoCamels

Hark the sound of Tar Heel voices...
Aug 19, 2005
Graveyard Of The Atlantic
The English and New World tradition is goose...ham is second.

Our house...a WHOLE boneless lip-on ribeye...17 pounds baby...medium rare.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
It's too soon after Thanksgiving for turkey. Blech.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
im eating eggs, and ham, sam i am

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
We always had Roast Beast and the formal meal Xmas eve after mass..xmas Day was brunch and leftovers...
I grew up with really italian friends they did something called the 12 fishes, I think they did it Christmas day

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Italian style growing up it would always be Christmas Eve at my Grandparents house. Always Fish Pasta and home made pizza, never any meat allowed.
Christmas day was always at my parents house, that would consist of Pastas meatball sausage ham turkey the works.
The eve and the day where two different events and there would always be about 30/40 people to each, and different family would come to both.
Unfourtunatly the eve celebration stopped about 6 years ago due to the death of my aunt who would run the evening.
And this year is the first year of my entire life there will be no christmas day dinner due to illness in my family. That is kinda sad because it would be the one day a year I would gaurentee my parents I would be home for.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
In my family, it's always scrape up what you can Christmas eve, then a roast beef lunch on Christmas day

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
My traditions always involved a Turkey on Christmas day, on any side of the family. So that's why I'm roasting a turkey, tomorrow, alone, because I'm a loser.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
My mother has had Christmas Eve dinner at her house since she got married. There were always 30 or 40 people from both sides of the family. Seven fishes were supposed to be served, but there was always so much food I have no idea how many there actually were. At this point, with both my grandparents gone & my mother's brothers staying in Yonkers with their kids & their families, Christmas Eve has kind of morphed into a Chrismakkah. The folks have a few Jewish friends who are like family, so they come for Christmas Eve. We still do fish, but now there's also a plain tomato sauce because the little guys don't like spaghetti with white clam sauce & some of "the Jew Crew" don't eat shell fish.

Christmas Day was always ravioli and either turkey or roast beast, depending on what Dad wanted. Now my sisters go to their in-laws so it's just me, Mom & Dad and we just eat the leftovers from Christmas Eve. Although this year, we're going to one of the in-laws for lasagna & a fresh ham I think.

Ooopha ... I'm so glad I went to the gym today since we're still eating!! Time for the crab legs. See ya in a bit.

Little Chuckie

Jul 21, 2005
Christmas Day was Turkey around 3PM, for some reason Thanksgiving and Christmas always had an early dinner.

Then the Turkey that was left would go in to a big pot and the Turkey soup would be made; that was better than the meal the turkey was roasted for.

Christmas eve dinner use to be at my Grandparents and was always something different but usually was beef based.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Had a boiled dinner tonight (married an Irish chick)... and turkey tommorow...

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
My mother has had Christmas Eve dinner at her house since she got married. There were always 30 or 40 people from both sides of the family. Seven fishes were supposed to be served, but there was always so much food I have no idea how many there actually were. At this point, with both my grandparents gone & my mother's brothers staying in Yonkers with their kids & their families, Christmas Eve has kind of morphed into a Chrismakkah. The folks have a few Jewish friends who are like family, so they come for Christmas Eve. We still do fish, but now there's also a plain tomato sauce because the little guys don't like spaghetti with white clam sauce & some of "the Jew Crew" don't eat shell fish.

Christmas Day was always ravioli and either turkey or roast beast, depending on what Dad wanted. Now my sisters go to their in-laws so it's just me, Mom & Dad and we just eat the leftovers from Christmas Eve. Although this year, we're going to one of the in-laws for lasagna & a fresh ham I think.

Ooopha ... I'm so glad I went to the gym today since we're still eating!! Time for the crab legs. See ya in a bit.
I had heard both 7 and 12....I know oysters, and clams, shrimp and calimari, were part of it. [EDIT] the polacks did the 12 my bad[/EDIT]

Sample 7 fishes:
Baccala A staple at any Christmas Eve dinner, it's a dried cod, and takes several days to prepare.
Calamari squid, boiled
Shrimp shellfish, boiled
Clams shellfish, steamed till they open
Crab shellfish, boiled
Whitefish flounder or other type, bake in oven
Mussels/Oysters shellfish, steam until they open

NortonsHeiny

Ronnie B Rocks my Fat Ass
Nov 14, 2005
New Jersey
I was raised eating fish on the eve and turkey on the day. My boyfriend & I had surf & turf tonight. The real s&t, not East Side Daves chicken & turf.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
Over parents house tonight, had shrimp.
Christmas day dinner at my sister's, used to be parents but the reins have been passed, have a ham & a roast.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I had heard both 7 and 12....I know oysters, and clams, shrimp and calimari, were part of it. [EDIT] the polacks did the 12 my bad[/EDIT]

Sample 7 fishes:
Baccala A staple at any Christmas Eve dinner, it's a dried cod, and takes several days to prepare.
Calamari squid, boiled
Shrimp shellfish, boiled
Clams shellfish, steamed till they open
Crab shellfish, boiled
Whitefish flounder or other type, bake in oven
Mussels/Oysters shellfish, steam until they open
Tonight we had baccala, fried calamari, stuffed calamari, fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, scallops wrapped in bacon, baked clams, linguine with white clam sauce, crab legs & some sort of trout or some other fish which still had its head attached that my parents bought for their friend who doesn't eat shellfish. Oh and linguine marinara (plain tomato sauce) for my nephews because my mother spoils them rather than making them eat what's in front of them like she did with her daughters.

When my grandparents were still alive, they'd have snails, eels, smelts & mussels. But since the only one who eats any of those things now is my father, they're not on our table any more (Thank God!)