Christmas Gift Ideas

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Who's got em'?

I need to buy for my Mom and Dad...
Me and my brother shop together.

All my Mom wants is the cliche Mom stuff; Candles, Soaps, Perfume, etc.
Though we are planning on getting her a new phone, she still has the type where you have to hit the #1 2 times for a B, 3 times for a C when she's texting.

Now, tell me if this is a lame idea. My Dad is constantly talking about how he's going to start a Micro-Brew/Restaurant. He's actually claimed he's going to hire people to see if it's conceivable, locations, etc.

Is getting a custom Polo shirt embroidered with his name "_______'s Microbrew" and 2 mugs or something lame?
Is that on the level of giving your Dad a sweatshirt with bears on it representing his grandkids, like one has a bat and glove, one has an Ipod, etc and says "Grandpa's Lil Bears"

Because that seems very lame... This would just be a black polo shirt with an upper chest thing.

Other than that, I got nothing for my Dad

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Gift cards.....I wish we could all just agree to buy ourselves something nice rather than spend money on each other.

Sep 28, 2010
Gift cards.....I wish we could all just agree to buy ourselves something nice rather than spend money on each other.
Hell yeah.

I love picking my own shit out.

I got hell boy 2 in my stocking stuffer one year. Never opened it. What a gay looking movie.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i dont buy shit

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
Other than that, I got nothing for my Dad

My dad gives the worst gifts ever. One year I got a half full jug of motor oil. Now it's become a running joke of how pathetic his gifts are. I got him a pickle last year pretty much satirizing his horrible gifts, I don't even bother with him anymore.

Tetro

Feb 1, 2010
Personally, I would hold off on the "_____ Brewery" shirts until he goes through with it. Not sure if I would rather own a cheesy slogan t-shirt, or own a shirt that reminds of a business venture I wanted that fell through because of finances. Hope it works out though, owning one would be sick.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Personally, I would hold off on the "_____ Brewery" shirts until he goes through with it. Not sure if I would rather own a cheesy slogan t-shirt, or own a shirt that reminds of a business venture I wanted that fell through because of finances. Hope it works out though, owning one would be sick.
I don't really think it's happening, though I could use a job Dad...
It's more of drunken ramblings about "We could do this, let's get a bank loan, I've got enough saved, just break even and I can just drink all day..."

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
It's more of drunken ramblings about "We could do this, let's get a bank loan, I've got enough saved, just break even and I can just drink all day..."
He doesn't sound like a reliable business partner. No offense.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
He doesn't sound like a reliable business partner. No offense.
Well that's his drunken talk, he's actually a VP for an oil refinery group. BUT, this is the same guy who has repeatedly told my mom that he "wants nothing more than an animal hat with ear flaps."

So, he's also getting this. He's 55...

And Blues tickets, and a few other small things.

I only buy for my Mom and Dad, yet I still get presents from Aunts/Uncles, Grandparents and they get nothing in return....

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I only buy for my Mom and Dad, yet I still get presents from Aunts/Uncles, Grandparents and they get nothing in return....
Your parents probably buy their children gifts... that's how it worked in my family until we kinda put a stop to it.

I buy presents for my parents, brothers, and grandparents and that's it... although I have to figure out what to do this year because they both have fucking fiances now. I think I'll wait until after the weddings before considering getting them anything for Christmas.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I don't know anything about your dad, but I know my dad would eat something like that up. If he was shooting the shit about some pipe dream he had and I showed up later in the year with "merch" inspired by his idea, he would never take the fuckin' polo off.

Hunter777

iPod listener
Apr 18, 2005
Well as for the Micro-brewery, you could get her a Mr. Beer starting kit for about $40. It includes everything you need (except the water) to make 2 gallons of beer. My dad absolutely loves it, and you can buy refills to make another batch for about $20...so there's an idea.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Well as for the Micro-brewery, you could get her a Mr. Beer starting kit for about $40. It includes everything you need (except the water) to make 2 gallons of beer. My dad absolutely loves it, and you can buy refills to make another batch for about $20...so there's an idea.
I actually went to this place downtown that had like 400 different beers, and you make your own 6-packs, so I was going to put the shirt with that.
The problem with the shirt is, there's apparently no place that will make the design for me. Like this is all I want really, pretty simple.
Just the last name, I wanted the words on or in the shape of an Arch, and then something inside the arch... something beer related.

But the one place I went to today was like, "Well, you need to send up a clip-art version of it and do this and that".

I kind of thought they they'd be able to design it based off of a picture like that, or at least be like "We have these mugs on file that you can use, and we can draw up a little tap"

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Yeah, getting custom shirts and hats made is a lot more intensive than people think, and it's ridiculously expensive unless you're getting like 200+.

Just get him a gift card to the brewery you mentioned and go with him. You think too much dude.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Yeah, getting custom shirts and hats made is a lot more intensive than people think, and it's ridiculously expensive unless you're getting like 200+.

Just get him a gift card to the brewery you mentioned and go with him. You think too much dude.
Well the dude at the store said it'd be about $30 plus the shirt price, so that's not bad IMO.
I just need to find a place that will help me put the idea into whatever they need to make the embroidery. I guess it's all computerized.

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
You don't have to buy something that you make every day.

For my mother, I got the "Dark Side of the Moon" boxed set. Credit Ronnie B's interview with Nick Mason for that idea. For my brother, a couple bottles of Lorraine Bracco's wine -- mainly because he's a big fan of "The Sopranos" and "Goodfellas", but also to entertain that cocktail waitress he's been with.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
All done with gifts...
My and my brother "wrapped" them tonight. I say "wrapped" because they literally look like down syndrome kids did them.

It's so hard to wrap something, shockingly hard. Granted I've never been showed how, so I just wrap it, fold it until it forms and then used LOTS of tape.
LOTS.

I actually thought about cutting the paper to the shape of each side and taping it on that way. My brother was even worse.
No motor-skills'D
He suggested just buying gift bags, but I think that's lame.

I was also able to find a place to do the shirt. Cost of my own bought shirt + $10, not bad. Was this little old lady that does it

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
I fucking hate shopping. I'm not cheap, I just really suck at knowing what to buy for anyone who isn't me.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I fucking hate shopping. I'm not cheap, I just really suck at knowing what to buy for anyone who isn't me.
Same here. If they don't offer specifics (including a model number) they get a gift card from me. I did most of my shopping in 20 minutes sitting at my computer.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
So, the shirt came out like this...
It's not amazing, but it's more of a "Thought that counts" thing anyway.

I made this old woman re-do the design twice. First it looked retarded with the arch, because she made an inverted arch that looked like a triangle.
I wanted to pick out the font and stuff, but she never asked... Oh well, it was $10 plus the shirt.

Meh, he'll like it.
Since I'm an annoying perfectionist on some stuff, the fact that there's yellow "beer" outside the glass outline on the mug bothers me. But, the lady was 200 years old, I'm just glad it was done.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Is that on the level of giving your Dad a sweatshirt with bears on it representing his grandkids, like one has a bat and glove, one has an Ipod, etc and says "Grandpa's Lil Bears"
I fucking hate shit like that. If anyone ever buys me anything even
remotely like that it's gonna get burnt and someone's gonna get hurt.