Chromecast vs Roku

mascan42

Looking to upgrade to a smart TV after years of streaming from a blu-ray player that's impossible to add apps to (yes, this is largely motivated by Disney+). Based on about half an hour of research, Chromecast seems like a more versatile streaming device than Roku, but the only TVs I can find with built-in Chromecast are shitty Chinese Visios. Any insights on which works better?

Always thought the best move was to use an add on device rather than have it built in to the TV. Roku always seemed to be a good choice since they aren't a service like the makers of other devices. This way you get support for all apps. For instance apps like HBO are almost always dead on TVs as nobody bothers to fix them.

Looking it up now I see Chromecast supporting a lot more apps than before. Another difference is that you have to use your phone to control the CC, where as a roku or some others have a remote. Having the remote is a must if you want to get one for the parents.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
Always thought the best move was to use an add on device rather than have it built in to the TV. Roku always seemed to be a good choice since they aren't a service like the makers of other devices. This way you get support for all apps. For instance apps like HBO are almost always dead on TVs as nobody bothers to fix them.

Looking it up now I see Chromecast supporting a lot more apps than before. Another difference is that you have to use your phone to control the CC, where as a roku or some others have a remote. Having the remote is a must if you want to get one for the parents.
Damn straight. Samsung fucked me after I bought a very expensive tv. The smart app software changed from some Samsung specific OS to either Android or Linux and they stopped supporting my apps maybe 2 years after I got it. Get a Fire Stick 4k, Chromecast, or Roku.

mascan42

Unfortunately an add-on isn't feasible for my current TV since I'm out of HDMI ports.

mascan42

I meant buying an add-on for my current TV. If I'm buying a new one, doesn't it make more sense to get one with a built-in streaming device than an add-on? That's why I'm trying to figure which is better.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I meant buying an add-on for my current TV. If I'm buying a new one, doesn't it make more sense to get one with a built-in streaming device than an add-on? That's why I'm trying to figure which is better.
That's kind of like buying a new car because you like the stereo. And a lot of the time it doesn't matter. For example, even though I have a chromecast on my living room tv, the chromecast system will actually stream directly to the Samsung TV (at least for things like YouTube), which I believe runs proprietary software. And with a dedicated box, you can do more like load Kodi (at least with Fire TV, etc.).

I'd say get the best quality tv for your budget, and plan on maybe spending another $100 for a streaming box if you want more options.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
My thinking on this is sort of split. On the one hand, a TV with built in Roku/Amazon does have the benefit of having live TV built into the smart interface. My office TV is a Roku TV, and I love it. Watch it more than any other TV in the house.

That being said, if the TV goes, so does the Roku. Sort of like with the TVs of yore, with the built in VCR/DVD player. If the VCR or DVD shit the bed, the whole thing was pretty much done.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
It would be awesome to get a TV with a built in Roku and a DVD player.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Get an xbox

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Never rely on the built-in shit. The TV manufacturers stop upgrading it after a few years. Get something standalone. The nVidia Shield is my favorite device. Roku is close second.
I have smart TVs from Samsung, LG, and Vizio. Firesticks don't hold up. They start flaking out, power and wifi issues. The Roku and Shield can be connected via ethernet, if you have it available at the location.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
Never rely on the built-in shit. The TV manufacturers stop upgrading it after a few years. Get something standalone. The nVidia Shield is my favorite device. Roku is close second.
I have smart TVs from Samsung, LG, and Vizio. Firesticks don't hold up. They start flaking out, power and wifi issues. The Roku and Shield can be connected via ethernet, if you have it available at the location.

The Shield is a goddamn fortune compared to everything else.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator

Fire TVs have worked well for me, but yeah I have a useless Fire Stick in the back of a closet. I think I'll be upgrading to a Shield at some point though.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Fire TVs have worked well for me, but yeah I have a useless Fire Stick in the back of a closet. I think I'll be upgrading to a Shield at some point though.
I like the Shield because you can install pretty much anything on it. For example, I have my VPN and a browser installed on it and use it to watch reddit streams when games aren't on TV here.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
I'm definitely another that thinks it's best to not buy anything built in. I've got two Android TVs. My main Sony Bravia from early 2016 is no longer getting updates and did not get the Android Oreo update that mid-2016 and newer TVs have gotten. So, it's a little buggy at this point. My Philips Android TV in the bedroom is still getting updates at least.

I can get a Shield or something, but you still have to use the TV's original operating system to change settings and navigate between inputs and stuff. If it goes, then the whole TV goes with it.

TVs are getting so much cheaper now that I guess the days of having the same TV (20th century) for years is over. My Philips is a really good 43 inch that cost me only $250. The Sony I bought in 2016 was more like $1,000 when 55 inch screens were still considered premium feature.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I have the Shield on my 70" Vizio that has the Vizio 5.1 soundbar with subwoofer that's connected via HDMI ARC. It works flawlessly. I hit the button on the remote to wake up the Shield. In turn, the TV and soundbar both turn on. I can control volume with the Shield remote. It's seamless. I also have my DirecTV DVR connected to the same TV. I just can hit the menu button on that remote and the TV switches inputs from the Shield to the DirecTV box.

That 70" TV cost me a grand with a 4-year extended warranty included as a Christmas Eve special at Sam's Club like two years ago. Not bad for a 4K HDR unit... Now, the newer model is only $649. Of course, they have the high-end Vizios that are $1200 for a 65" or $2K for a 75" unit. I just can't justify spending that much when this TV that's a half or third of the price looks perfectly fine to me. My brother has an older rear-projection DLP that's starting to flake out. He can spend $250 on a new DLP chip, but it's still almost 10 years old. He's probably going to replace it with something like my Vizio.

Oldest TV we have is a Sharp 37" from 2007. Other than one of the HDMI ports not wanting to work with the DirecTV box (but just fine with a Roku), it still works pefectly. It's my mother-in-law's bedroom TV. I keep expecting it to die, but it keeps going.

Now, to be fair, we do have one TV that has built-in stuff we do use. It's a TCL Roku 40" TV that I bought on Prime Day in 2018. It's for my wife's home office. She was bitching about wanting a TV in there. I refused to spend money to add another DirecTV reciever and wanted something cheap, so I got this. It cost me $207 to my door. Because it's a Roku device, it gets updates regularly and in theory always should. She can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, which is enough for her.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I'm definitely another that thinks it's best to not buy anything built in. I've got two Android TVs. My main Sony Bravia from early 2016 is no longer getting updates and did not get the Android Oreo update that mid-2016 and newer TVs have gotten. So, it's a little buggy at this point. My Philips Android TV in the bedroom is still getting updates at least.

I can get a Shield or something, but you still have to use the TV's original operating system to change settings and navigate between inputs and stuff. If it goes, then the whole TV goes with it.

TVs are getting so much cheaper now that I guess the days of having the same TV (20th century) for years is over. My Philips is a really good 43 inch that cost me only $250. The Sony I bought in 2016 was more like $1,000 when 55 inch screens were still considered premium feature.
Can the Sony TVs be jailbroken? Push a hacked Android update to it?

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Can the Sony TVs be jailbroken? Push a hacked Android update to it?
I've been following a thread on XDA for about 2 years that have been debating that possibility. I think it's been done, but it's never been entirely stable. And the fear of screwing something up and bricking the main $1K living room TV has made it a deal breaker for me.