Church of Scientology Asks Followers to Censor Web Comments

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/church-scientology-asks-followers-censor-comments-160104800.html

Yahoo News said:
Church of Scientology asks followers to censor Web comments
By Jeff Stacklin | The Lookout – 1 hr 23 mins ago

The Katie Holmes-Tom Cruise split apparently has had a negative effect on the Church of Scientology, which is calling for members to take action and silence naysayers.

The campaign also comes as an entire mission for the church has defected from under the leadership of David Miscavige, reports the Village Voice. Leader Dani Lemberger of Israel's Dror Center, in Haifa, told Voice blogger Tony Ortega that his mission is one of the few that are still growing and announced that it is rejecting Miscavige's leadership.

It is the "first time in memory" that an entire mission has announced that it is leaving the church.

The church has sent an email to followers instructing them on how "to counter free speech on the internet," according to former Scientologist and current anti-Scientologist blogger Marty Rathbun, who posted the email message in its entirety on his blog.

He notes that it comes from the church's Office of Special Affairs, otherwise known as the "dirty tricks and propaganda arm of Scientology Inc." The message begins:

I am not a big fan of media, but you may have glanced the news of the split between TC and Holmes and all the speculations around. While this is a personal matter, when people start to bring our religion into the middle and a bunch of uninformed people start to spread false datum, rumors and defame our religion it became a matter that does affect my Dynamics and I believe that affects yours as well.
The message instructs followers to visit media sites, including Microsoft, Google or any other that requires users to agree to a code of conduct that prohibits comments that threaten, defame or degrade any group or individuals.

Followers should hunt for any comments about the Cruise-Holmes divorce or Scientology, and click the "Report Abuse" button and report the comments as violations of the site's code of conduct, the email instructs.

You can write something like "Violate Your Code of Conduct". "defames or degrades a group for any reason including on the basis of religion."
The author of the email notes that if only one person does it, the news site moderators won't act. Thus, the email begs "if you start to have 10 or 20 people reporting it, they are going to take this down."
Blogger Rathbun notes that the attempt to censor website comments is like showing up to a nuclear war with a squirt gun.

When will David Miscavige (supreme leader of corporate Scientology and Tom Cruise's best man) ever learn that attempts to suppress communication and expression only make more news than the news he attempts to censor?
Meanwhile, the Church of Scientology is also facing several high-profile defections in the of the Cruise-Holmes divorce, as well as the high-profile sex scandal involving John Travolta, another Hollywood Scientologist.

Lisa Marie Presley reportedly has parted with the church, said Fox News. After moving to the English countryside, she told the network that she began second-guessing "everything and everyone I knew. ... People that were in my life for a long time turned sinister and tried to control me and all kinds of weird stuff happened."

Jefferson Hawkins, a former executive with the church, told Fox that he expects to more defections.

"A lot of celebrities are starting to wake up. ... You don't see the big celebrities promoting it anymore. Even Tom has been pretty quiet on the subject over the last few years."

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Has anyone ever been kind of tempted to convert to Scientology?

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Has anyone ever been kind of tempted to convert to Scientology?
I would never convert, but I'd like to know what the fuck goes on at those meetings. They have one of their compounds out here, and they're pretty secretive about the place. A bunch of friends and I went to go try to sneak into it in high school, but we couldn't even find the fucking thing (mostly due to us being idiots).

Here's the entrance to their vault from the air.

More pictures (need re-sizing to post, and I don't want to go through the trouble):

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=1Tn3T4z1EqKo2wW_nPzMBg

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
In the Air Force, that's called a "Target of Opportunity".

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Has anyone ever read Dianetics? I remember when commercials for that book were played constantly. How many followers did they get from responding to their infomercial?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Has anyone ever read Dianetics? I remember when commercials for that book were played constantly. How many followers did they get from responding to their infomercial?
Speaking of crazy religious commercials, does anyone remember a couple of years ago when they started playing a lot of "Christians Come Home" advertisements?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
It's just like "Eyes Wide Shut", but all the women are chunky.
Does they and Bohemian Grove have like summer camp battles? Go Fightin' Owls!

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
I still can't believe that they have that many people willing to believe that a former science fiction writer suddenly discovered that people are all just alien souls trapped in human bodies on Earth. What an amazing coincidence that a failed sci-fi writer discovered that.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I hope Hubbard has some kind of Hari Seldon plan and in like 100 years he'll reveal it was all a gag.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I still can't believe that they have that many people willing to believe that a former science fiction writer suddenly discovered that people are all just alien souls trapped in human bodies on Earth. What an amazing coincidence that a failed sci-fi writer discovered that.
This brings up a good question. If you were to follow a sci-fi writer as your God/prophet, whom would you choose.

On a side note, The Master looks terrific.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
This brings up a good question. If you were to follow a sci-fi writer as your God/prophet, whom would you choose.
First person that came to mind was Orson Scott Card... why shouldn't we make children fight our wars?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Neal Stephenson. Power to the smart. Card is a good pick too, and he's a Mormon. Wait, what?

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
Neal Stephenson. Power to the smart. Card is a good pick too, and he's a Mormon. Wait, what?
Just don't send him to Illinois. Joseph Smith made that horrible mistake.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I like David Brin's idea that all sentient species were uplifted by a previous sentient species.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
The campaign also comes as an entire mission for the church has defected from under the leadership of David Miscavige, reports the Village Voice. Leader Dani Lemberger of Israel's Dror Center, in Haifa, told Voice blogger Tony Ortega that his mission is one of the few that are still growing and announced that it is rejecting Miscavige's leadership.
Wait, who the fuck do I blame?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
That's not really censorship. Meanwhile, the Catholic Church does call for actual censorship on a regular basis, and there are currently people in jail in Italy for speaking ill of the Pope.

Same is true for all major religions. Except Scientology, apparently. Even with a full blown witch hunt going on, the media can't seem to find any examples of the real deal: censorship entails convincing a government to prohibit and punish speech.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
You know, it's really telling when someone like Charles Manson thinks your ideas are nutty and leaves the church. Manson was a follower for a year or two he left the church and headed to SF. He learned the art of manipulating people from Scientology. Bunch a fucking kooks.