Cig smoke must be contained

MAV

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article395629.ece
Cig smoke must be contained
A PUB landlord faces legal action after customers’ cigarette smoke drifted into a neighbour’s garden.

Jeff Castledine was told his regulars’ outdoor puffing contaminates the “natural smell of fresh air”.

Now, in what is believed to be the first case of its kind, he has been warned council officers will monitor his beer garden to “determine if odour nuisances are being caused”.

Jeff, from the Queen’s Head in Boreham, Essex, said he was served with an official council warning letter after a neighbour complained.

He added: “I’m just outraged by this, it’s plain stupid. When people light up outside the smoke rises and vanishes almost immediately.

“There’s no lingering smell because it’s outdoors – that’s the whole point of smoking outdoors. I try to be a good neighbour and there’s only ever six or seven people in the garden smoking at a time.

“The ban has already forced people outside. Is the council trying to close down village pubs?” Chelmsford council say they acted after a complaint about “nuisance caused by odour from cigarette smoke”.

They have threatened to serve Mr Castledine with an abatement notice – forcing him to ban customers from lighting up outside – if they decide a nuisance exists.

Mr Castledine continued: “It’s mad. I’ve applied for planning permission to build a smoking shelter in my beer garden.

“But most customers smoke 20 metres away from the six-foot fence that separates me from my neighbours. Smoke doesn’t smell 20 metres away.

“What’s next? Will vegetarians be able to sue their neighbours for having barbecues because they don’t like the smell of cooking flesh?”

A council spokeswoman yesterday said they had a responsibility to investigate.

But the situation has added to fears among landlords that the smoking ban could be extended to include outside areas, like in the US.

Lawyer Jeremy Allen, of pub licensing solicitors Popplestone Allen, said: “This is the first time I’ve heard of a situation like this but I’m not surprised. Councils are looking carefully at the effects of external smoking.” A PUB landlord faces legal action after customers’ cigarette smoke drifted into a neighbour’s garden.

Jeff Castledine was told his regulars’ outdoor puffing contaminates the “natural smell of fresh air”.

Now, in what is believed to be the first case of its kind, he has been warned council officers will monitor his beer garden to “determine if odour nuisances are being caused”.

Jeff, from the Queen’s Head in Boreham, Essex, said he was served with an official council warning letter after a neighbour complained.

He added: “I’m just outraged by this, it’s plain stupid. When people light up outside the smoke rises and vanishes almost immediately.

“There’s no lingering smell because it’s outdoors – that’s the whole point of smoking outdoors. I try to be a good neighbour and there’s only ever six or seven people in the garden smoking at a time.

“The ban has already forced people outside. Is the council trying to close down village pubs?” Chelmsford council say they acted after a complaint about “nuisance caused by odour from cigarette smoke”.

They have threatened to serve Mr Castledine with an abatement notice – forcing him to ban customers from lighting up outside – if they decide a nuisance exists.

Mr Castledine continued: “It’s mad. I’ve applied for planning permission to build a smoking shelter in my beer garden.

“But most customers smoke 20 metres away from the six-foot fence that separates me from my neighbours. Smoke doesn’t smell 20 metres away.

“What’s next? Will vegetarians be able to sue their neighbours for having barbecues because they don’t like the smell of cooking flesh?”

A council spokeswoman yesterday said they had a responsibility to investigate.

But the situation has added to fears among landlords that the smoking ban could be extended to include outside areas, like in the US.

Lawyer Jeremy Allen, of pub licensing solicitors Popplestone Allen, said: “This is the first time I’ve heard of a situation like this but I’m not surprised. Councils are looking carefully at the effects of external smoking.”
"whaa"

That's ridiculous.. not saying that cig smoke is pleasant, but c'mon

WaddleDoodle

Creepy? We're the CIA. It's what we do.
Can he reverse sue the county when they work on sewer pipes? That's a odor nusaince

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
PC cunts getting a bit uppity, they're in need of a giant smack down.

Makes me light a cigarette...

Fuck the whiny cunt

That's a brilliant point.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
I can tell if someone's been smoking outside, but only if they've just been in the area and it's really not for long. However, they're claiming that the smoke is polluting the natural fresh air. Are they going to go after the vehicles on the road? Fuel exhaust pollutes the natural fresh air as well and is actually worse.

I'm a nonsmoker and enjoy being in smoke-free places, but enough's enough. A smoker pays the same cover I do at a bar. They're paying the same for drinks and food. In that sense we're equals. So why shouldn't they be afforded some place to smoke if they choose?

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
I can't stand smoking, but I want to light up after reading that.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
I hate smoke but the government has no right to tell people how to live their lives.

Top Bottom