Citizen Kane..Agree or Diagree?

sledge30

Oct 17, 2005
Inverness, Florida
Whenever they have "Best Of" anything Citizen Kane is always at the top. When I was growing up in the eighties I used to think how the hell can that old black and white movie with people I never heard off be better than Star Wars or Jaws(Remember I was a kid). Then when I entered High School in 86 I took a Drama class and watched this movie it seems for over a week and from that point forward I have agreed on the critics assessment. It seems nowaday whenever Im skimming through the channels and it is on I glued to the Tv. The Godfather, Jaws, Raiders Of The Lost Ark have the same effect. But for some reason this is the only "oldie" film that sucks me into it. Does it have an effect on anyone else or am I a whackaloon?

sledge30

Oct 17, 2005
Inverness, Florida
Sorry Mr Liddy I didnt know. But they are right Citizen Kane> Casablanca. Casablanca seemed too staged, like a play. Alot of one dimensional sets. For an supposed exotic location it seemed like a backlot. If Im going to watch a movie like that I'll watch Arsenic and Old Lace. Holy shit am I 37 or 87?

sued

Now you know
Sep 2, 2004
Montclair.NJ
It is brilliant. I studied film in college (very useful) and must have watched it over 50 times. It is a great story made into a great film. There are films and then there are movies...

sued

Now you know
Sep 2, 2004
Montclair.NJ
I do love Casablanca not for its scenery but for its story. I think that is part of the greatness of Casablanca. That most of it takes place in his club, not great scenery. But you are engrossed by everything that happens in there. A great story doesnt necessarily need great scenery, just great actors.

sledge30

Oct 17, 2005
Inverness, Florida
It is brilliant. I studied film in college (very useful) and must have watched it over 50 times. It is a great story made into a great film. There are films and then there are movies...
Couldnt agree more. I enjoy a good Saw or Ghost Rider for what its worth...brainless entertainment. But a GREAT FILM is enjoyed forever. Something like Citizen Kane which I probably also seen about 50 times I have been enjoying for over half my life

sledge30

Oct 17, 2005
Inverness, Florida
I do love Casablanca not for its scenery but for its story. I think that is part of the greatness of Casablanca. That most of it takes place in his club, not great scenery. But you are engrossed by everything that happens in there. A great story doesnt necessarily need great scenery, just great actors.
Dont get me wrong I love Casablanca, which I think the story is fantastic. But I think it could have been shot on a grander scale given the locations it was supposed to take place in. But I also think it was one of the best shot movies in cinema

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613
Whenever they have "Best Of" anything Citizen Kane is always at the top. When I was growing up in the eighties I used to think how the hell can that old black and white movie with people I never heard off be better than Star Wars or Jaws(Remember I was a kid). Then when I entered High School in 86 I took a Drama class and watched this movie it seems for over a week and from that point forward I have agreed on the critics assessment. It seems nowaday whenever Im skimming through the channels and it is on I glued to the Tv. The Godfather, Jaws, Raiders Of The Lost Ark have the same effect. But for some reason this is the only "oldie" film that sucks me into it. Does it have an effect on anyone else or am I a whackaloon?
Speaking of Orson Welles, have you ever seen The Third Man? That's a great movie, that still holds up to this day, and is generally held to be a four star film. Orson Welles gives a brilliant performance. The Third Man is MUCH MUCH better than The Good German, a recent movie which tries to capture a similar tone, plot, etc., with a modern twist.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
i saw it in an Old Timey Theater in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois back in 97, let me put it this way i havent watched movies the same way since.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The reason I think Citizen Kane is able to do this is not just because of the revolutionary techniques or the amazing look of the film but it is a very modern film in many ways. It's humor, it's subject matter, it's view of how things are even fits today- it's brilliant.

And what draws us in is that the movie is that it's not about crime, it's not about romance, it's not about morality. It is about a single man against himself and against the world. Even with his riches, even when he becomes the most powerful publisher on earth, he is still one man at it alone. This is a theme that, at least for me, is behind some of the best films ever made. No matter how much you have, all you really have is yourself often for worse.

Third Man (which he didn't direct), Touch of Evil, and I'll even argue his version of Kafka's The Trial (chilling). He was great.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Hey, I'm 20 and I like Arsenic and Old Lace.
I'm 24 and thought I was a loser. I hate people younger than me.

i saw it in an Old Timey Theater in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois back in 97, let me put it this way i havent watched movies the same way since.
There is nothing more awesome than seeing an old movie, on a giant theatre screen, on FILM that will change the way you see a film you've seen 100 times before.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I never really care about wardrobe but I always thought Kane had some of the best suits.

and

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
If I'm doing a bogey flick, it's either The Big Sleep or Maltese Falcon. Love both, have them on my HDD, and they're both go-to's when I'm bored & in the mood for movies where men are men, and women are either gorgeous or non-existent.

Oops... EDIT! This belonged in the Casablanca vs. Kane thread. :-D