City rules a falling street light is an act of GOD

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
link
I guess GOD is an electrician who doesn't tighten bolts
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The City of Fort Worth has found itself asking, ‘What would Jesus do?’ after one of the city’s street lights fell and damaged a man’s car.

Under Texas law, the city isn’t responsible for the damage. Rather, it’s considered an act of God.

“I just hear this bang, and the car shakes,” Greg Buetel recalled. “I looked in the rear-view mirror and there’s no one behind me and I notice in the street, there’s a huge street light.”

Greg Buetel’s story started an an intersection. A chance stop off 287 and North Tarrant Parkway last month, when he got a sudden jolt from above.

“It caved my trunk and my trunk had to be replaced,” Buetel said. “It also damaged my quarter panel.”

Buetel’s Hyundai Sonata suffered $2000 of damage from the unexpected falling light. Buetel contacted the City of Fort Worth, seeking compensation.

“I filed the claim and then I was told unless they are on sight causing the damage, the state protects them from any liability.”

“It’s an act of God,” Jason Lamers with the City of Fort Worth said.

“Unfortunately, it’s not a city employee that did something wrong or broke something with malice.”

An act of God is something Buetel is familiar with – he is, after all, the pastor of Light the World Church in Keller. Yet, the city’s “act” of not paying for his damage, is something Buetel is willing to forgive. But one he still finds upsetting.

“I don’t have any choice to drive those streets,” Buetel said. “I put confidence in the city that their workmanship doesn’t fall on my vehicle.”

“We need to follow state law,” Lamers said. “State law basically lays out the liability for cities like this, and that law is in place to protect tax payers.”

“In the end, I don’t question God when good things happen -so i don’t question when bad things happen. i just trust he’ll take care of me”

That light has yet to be fixed. The city says it’s looking into it.

Aug 11, 2005
Why not say insurance companies are scumbags , every God hater is on the make because of Tim Tebow, shit, insurance companies are the good guys now.

This shit is crazy yo!

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Shouldn't it be covered by insurance then? I'm pretty sure I don't have a deductible on "acts of God."

Though I'm glad that God has the time to fuck up some lady's random trunk over helping a starving child somewhere.

Unless, that lady was on her way to kill said starving child...

Aug 11, 2005
Shouldn't it be covered by insurance then? I'm pretty sure I don't have a deductible on "acts of God."

Though I'm glad that God has the time to fuck up some lady's random trunk over helping a starving child somewhere.

there you go maybe you fuckers can be useful after all, go after the insurance companies

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well being Texas probably a guy named Jesus installed it.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It is an act of God if it fell over during a hurricane. Otherwise the city should be held accountable. They were paid to do a job (via taxes) and if they were incompetent then they are responsible for the consequences.

Aug 11, 2005
why is a miscarriage a baby and an abortion a fetus?

crazy questions and answers!

who knows what will happen in this thread

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

I think most insurances specifically preclude acts of God, I know mine does. And terrorism.

It is an act of God if it fell over during a hurricane. Otherwise the city should be held accountable. They were paid to do a job (via taxes) and if they were incompetent then they are responsible for the consequences.
Good luck proving the incompetence. That would also open up the city to having people climbing up on lamposts and loosening the bolts to get the city to pay for something they already had damaged.

Aug 11, 2005
It's a feeble attempt at wordplay in an effort to mask the truth and make people feel less guilty.
no it's not wordplay it's what's convenient to their situation

wait, I pretty much said the same thing.

You're a smart man Sinn Fein

fulldevilsoccer

Jul 2, 2009
I'm so sorry I paid my taxes and paid for your fucking street lights that ruined the fucking car that you, like a pussy, couldn't move before the hurricane.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I'm so sorry I paid my taxes and paid for your fucking street lights that ruined the fucking car that you, like a pussy, couldn't move before the hurricane.
The original story didn't say anything about a hurricane... if that was the case then it was an act of God. However if it just fell over with no outside influence, it's not.

fulldevilsoccer

Jul 2, 2009
The original story didn't say anything about a hurricane... if that was the case then it was an act of God. However if it just fell over with no outside influence, it's not.
well I apologize for my tax dollars. Why don't you sue me too while you're at it?

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
well I apologize for my tax dollars. Why don't you sue me too while you're at it?
If the city is allowed to be incompetent, your tax dollars will further go to waste. You're right though, if it was incompetence I would much prefer that some people were fired than to have to pay for a settlement (if I was a resident there).

Aug 11, 2005
It's hilarious that no one thinks insurance is extortion

they've been taught to play ball in school