OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

City Set to Remove Last Single-Space Parking Meter in Manhattan

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mr. sin, Sep 19, 2011.

1. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

The parking meter has expired.

The city will remove the last single-space parking meter in Manhattan on Monday, reports The New York Times.

It's part of a process to convert the whole city to the Muni-Meter system, where drivers get receipts from a solar-powered machine to place on their dashboards.

The city Department of Transportation says the new meters are an improvement because they take credit cards and require less maintenance.

A few of the old poles will remain behind.

They'll have their so-called "brains'' removed and then they'll be converted to bike racks.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Parking-Meter-Muni-Meter-Bike-Rack-Replace-130112818.html

2. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

1) Less maintenance

2) Easier to raise the rates and people are less likely to notice

3) Keeps the money in one place and all that change doesn't need to get processed

4) Solar powered so even during a blackout you have to pay to park

3. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

They're still meters. I see no improvements. In fact...

... I think they just made the situation worse.

4. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

No more free parking on someone else's dime... You can't skate into a spot when someone pulls out and use their leftover time.

5. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

How often do you guys have a blackout to where that's even an issue. I think the overall cost savings in energy probably is a good thing. You should be more worried now that having them solar powered they're a lot easier to install without ripping up the streets to tap into the grid.

6. afternoonquil

afternoonquil Apology Ostrich

The mayor was getting sick of using lex Steele dildos so he's been confiscating every phallic shaped object in NYC. I heard he wants to require everyone to have seatless bicycles and to replace the my mets home run ball with a huge cock and sit on it during games.

Ya know........allegedly

7. TreeFortRichard

You can if people get into it...You take your ticket over to the pay area and leave it there when you leave. The next person sees it when they go to pay and they use it too...You can fuck over the man and pay it forward :)