OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Class Action Fraud and Misrepresentation Suit Against GameStop

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by Neckbeard, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

GameStop told customers that used copies of games came with all of the Downloadable Content (DLC).

However, they did not, and to purchase download codes for the DLC that GameStop had cost more than
    purchasing the games brand new.

GameStop is a douchey store.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/gamestop-denied-motion-dismiss-used-games-lawsuit

http://www.screwattack.com/news/gamestop-denied-motion-dismiss-used-games-lawsuit

SOS likes this.
  2. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

Did you read Kotaku today? They posted an article about Gamestop charging $90.00 for Xenoblade. A game you can't find anywhere else because it's exclusive to gamestop. Gamestop manufactures the game and controls how many copies are out in the wild. This means they can artificially control supply for the game. Fucking scumbags.

Neckbeard likes this.
  3. siliconsoul

siliconsoul Snarky Cunt

Nothing surprises me about Gamestop, they're probably the most corrupt company I've worked for and while I don't think I have much in the way of scruples, they really didn't pay me enough to screw people over. I thought my job was to actually help the confused grandparents coming in looking for gifts or the young kids who saved every bit of their birthday or allowance money for a new game, but we were expected to target them the hardest because they were the easiest to manipulate.

d0uche_n0zzle and Neckbeard like this.
  4. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

I liked this:

Neckbeard likes this.
  5. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

So, for you, it's basically the same level of outrage whether someone commits fraud or sets the price of their games too high?

6. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

but i can get exclusive animations and hats with pre-orders!

7. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

When they monopolize where you can buy the game, yes. You literally can't buy the game anywhere but gamestop. They are artificially inflating the price. They are being anti consumerist scumbags.

8. siliconsoul

siliconsoul Snarky Cunt

It's intentionally deceptive for their own financial gain. While it may not be legally defined as fraud, it's motivated by the same duplicity. Keeping it technically legal doesn't make it any less abhorrent.

9. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

Isn't that supposed to be a kick ass game? I see copies in indie stores for 150.00 or so. Saw an unopened one for 230.00. Supposedly the best rpg in a while, no?

10. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

I don't know, I don't have a Wii.

11. Yesterdays Hero

I'll give it a go. Pricey fucking thing.

12. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

Oh, shit. I forgot my mom has a Wii. She only uses it for fitness bs and Wii bowling.

13. SOS

SOS ONA
    Wackbag Staff

DLC exists for several reason:
    1. increase demand
    2. increase revenue
    3. encourage pre-orders
    4. encourage shopping at certain places
    5. hinder piracy
    6. FUCK GaMestop's used game business

Cheap noobs deserve getting ripped off because of their haste and gluttony. All games go down in price. Just wait a few months.

14. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

What is the lie?

15. siliconsoul

siliconsoul Snarky Cunt

Pretending a game is scarce so they can charge almost twice what it cost brand new for a used copy is dishonest. If random copies popped up at random Gamestops here and there, the rarity would be believable. Yet 48 stores within a 20 mile radius of where I'm sitting suddenly have multiple copies in stock. Where did they come from? Did a hundred random people in every city decide to trade theirs in last week? How serendipitous. Maybe Ariel Castro was hiding a truckload in his sex dungeon. That seems way more likely than they just got new stock, unboxed them, and marked them used so they could continue to sell them at the inflated cost.

16. Yesterdays Hero

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/14/xenoblade-and-metroid-prime-being-restocked-at-gamestop

Apparently 'The Last Story' > 'Xenoblade'.

I'd rather have 3 seperate games for Metroid Trilogy.

17. siliconsoul

siliconsoul Snarky Cunt

18. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

How is that dishonest? They're not pretending that the game is scarce, they are making it scarce. They decide how many games they want to sell. How are they pretending?

Next you're gonna tell me that Ferrari is dishonest, because they make fewer cars than there's demand for? Where's the dishonesty? A Ferrari 250 GTO costs US $35 million. The reason: because Ferrari only made a few, and they stopped making them. Ferrari made them scarce, on purpose. It enhances their brand.

Everyone knows how this tactic works. Every marketing professional learns about it in first year of college. There's a wikipedia page about it. Everyone applies it openly, as a matter of policy. The people who buy these products buy them precisely because of this policy.

Again: a lie is someone making a false statement. What is the lie? Name the lie. Name the false statement in a company deciding to make fewer products than they could potentially sell, for the purpose of maintaining a high demand for them.

#18 Norm Stansfield, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  19. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

If they did that, that would be idiotic. That would be the exact opposite of what they want to do. Making new stock and introducing it into the market would reduce scarcity. You just finished claiming that Gamestop are trying to create scarcity.

They didn't unbox new copies, they bough up old ones and sat on them, to create demand, and a buzz when they finally release them. Just like their statement explains. It's called marketing. It's not dishonest, it's a legitimate tactic meant to arouse people's interest in a product they normally wouldn't give a shit about.

20. Georgie

Georgie Registered User

How about you use some common sense and Google. Everyone knows that DLC codes are a one and done item. If you are going to buy a GOTY edition or a legacy edition of a game that has some of it's content as DLC you have to buy new to get it all. I.E. You buy the GOW collection used it will be missing the PSP titles because the owner before you used the download codes, same with the MGS legacy collection. Games like the Skyrim Legendary Edition can be bought used because all of the DLC is on the disc.

I've lost count of how many people I've told this to just to have them buy the game used anyways and then come stomping back in an hour later demanding a refund and crying about what I had fucking just told them an hour earlier.

This reeks of stupid people just trying to get paid for their stupidity.

SOS likes this.
  21. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

No, they are new copies marked with a used sticker. All of the copies that are being marked as used have unused club nintendo cards inside of them. You can only get club nintendo cards in new copies of the game. Gamestop is just fucking people over by upping the price. I don't understand why you are defending them, what they are doing is wholly unethical.

22. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Can I play this game too?

What they're actually doing is making all their games out of the spines of infants. What they are doing is murder. How do I know? Why else would they have club nintendo cards in them? That proves it.