Classical Music Suggestions

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Does anyone like classical music? Lately I've been listening to XM Classics and have found that it's good to have on during reading and what not. I want to get more into classical music so I don't just blurt out something like "Mozart" and actually know a decent CD to buy. Does anyone have any suggestions of composers or pieces worth listening to?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Wagner..The Ring, Das Rheingold, Die Walküre (The Valkyries), Siegfried and Götterdämmerung (The Twilight of the Gods) Tristan und Isolde Great (you can find a compilation of the best songs for about 10 bucks)
Orff-Carmina Burana (same as above)
Grieg- Peer Gynt Suites 1 and 2 (same as above)
You have heard all of those songs before in movies

look here:
http://www.naxos.com/

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
Hector Berlioz "Symphonhie Fantastique" pay special attention to the 4th movement "Marche au supplice" "march to the scaffold" (it's my favorite :))

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Modest Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain

Antonio Vivaldi - 4 Seasons.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Petrovich Mussorgsky. Russian guy.
"Night on Bald Mountain"
"The Hut on Fowl's legs"
He had a nice, dark sound to his work.

Also pretty fond of Stravinsky, he was a kook too, and you can find stuff from operatic, to orchestral with him. From darker to light hearted.

Can vouch for the berlioz work mentioned above, too.
It's not bad.

Richard Strauss, Georges Bizet..
Mouret's First Symphonic Suite is good, and Cookie Monster used it for Monsterpiece theater.

I guess narrowing down the kind of sound you prefer most can help us suggest further.

(also, thoroughly familiarize yourself with ol' ludwig van, if you haven't.)

Waiting for someone to say "Uhh, I like that song from platooon."

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I believe all of Clockwork Orange was Ludwig Van
Most of the Music in Excalibur was Orff
The soundtrack of Fantasia is good...(I know GAAAAAAAY)

P

PillowBiter

Try Mozart violin concertos 4 & 5

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
I like the more laid back stuff from the Baroque era. (like "BaRoke"). I notice they don't play a whole lot of it on XM Classics. But it's some relaxing stuff.

There's a ton of Baroque composers, but here's a few that I have MP3s.

Vivaldi
Corelli
Telemann
Handell

Pretty much anything by them is good if you like this type. (except vocal stuff which I don't really care for)

If you want to sample, check out www.shoutcast.com and put baroque or otto's baroque in the search.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
The soundtrack of Fantasia is good...(I know GAAAAAAAY)
The pieces in both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are all great... some very nice pieces in them.

Fantasia:

Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - Very recognizable piece of music, sort of associated with "horror". O&A played it when intern Nosferatu entered the studio.

Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite - Very recognizable music. Always associated with Christmas.

Dukas' "The Sorcerors Apprentice" - This piece of music was inspired by the fairy tale of the same name, which in turned inspired Walt to make the Mickey cartoon the centerpiece of Fantasia.

Stravinsky - Rite of Spring

Beethoven's 6th - Pastoral

Ponchichelli - Dance of the Hours - a ballet from an Opera called La Giocanda --- this one is immediately recognizable as the "Hello mudda, hello father" song.

Musgorsky - Night on Bald Mountain - great, dark piece of music

Schubert - Ave Maria - beautiful spiritual

and Fantasia 2000's program

Beethoven - 5th Symphony - a shortened version appears in the movie. Possibly the most famous classical "riff" ever - this is the Dum Dum Dum Dummmmm! Dum dum dum Dummmmm! piece.

Respeghi's Pines of Rome - I never heard this piece before I saw Fantasia 2000. Its nice.

Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue - probably the most popular piece written for orchestra in the 20th century. It's very jazzy, and the most modern piece used in Fantasia.

Shostakovich's Piano Concerto - Very piano heavy, as you'd guess. Sort of march inspired.

Saint-Saens Carnival des Animaux - lively, and short. A nice little piece. One of my favorites.

Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance - you will think of graduation. Unless you are a wrestling fan. Then you'll just say OHOOOOOOOOH YEAH!!!!

Stravinsky's Firebird Suite - tells the story of springtime growth, death, and rebirth.

Anyway... the Fantasia CD's are a great selection of lite classical music.

Dec 18, 2004
If you like piano, Rachmaninof. Thats not even close to how you spell his name. I suck.

The Stormrider

Fucking your daughter.
Feb 8, 2006
Going with the big names isn't a bad way to go. Contrary to the way pop music works, a lot of the biggest classical names are the ones who made the best music, and are remembered for that reason.

Beethoven - Symphonies 5, 6, 9.
Mozart - Requiem
Vivaldi - 4 Seasons
Bach - Brandenburg Concertos, Violin Concertos, Organ Works
Handel - Music for the Royal Fireworks, Water Music
Haydn - Any Symphony

You can't really go wrong getting anything by those 6.

ImAlrightSpider

I paid $2 a month for O&A and I LIKED it!
Feb 20, 2006
Natick, MA
Being a musician, I feel qualified to answer your question. XM Classics (and all classics stations) really focuses on a very small group of composers. Aside from the majors like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. I like these:

Beautiful and powerful: Samuel Barber - "Adagio for Strings" (you will recognize it)

I love listening to anything by Copland (Billy the Kid, Rodeo, Appalachian Spring, Lincoln Portrait, all of it!)

Leonard Bernstein - "Candide"

Want something artsy and (ridiculously) modern for a change?
George Crumb - "Black Angels" That is what you get when you have to try to be new and different.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
albeit opera, Verdi has an amazing body of work

The Stormrider

Fucking your daughter.
Feb 8, 2006
Does anyone know what they played in the background yesterday when Ant was talking about his fireplace? It's a pretty stock piece to use, but I still don't know what it is.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I wouldn't really be able to recommend any specific albums, but I dig Schubert and Dvorak.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites... my favorite performer is Pietr Wispelwey, he's fantastic and MUCH better thn Yo Yo Ma.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
hungarian rhapsody by franz liszt, good song to whistle to, linger longerrrr

Bit Wrecker

Too big to fail
Oct 10, 2006
I can't believe no one mentioned Bela Bartok. You've even heard some of his work, if you've seen The Shining.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
The Ant/ Satanism bits was "Oh Fortuna" by Orff
I forget what the archetypal Halloween organ music is though.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Cool thread, I'm taking notes.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
On a side note, if you watched any of the original Bugs Bunny/WB cartoons from back in the day, you've probably already heard most of the music suggested in this thread. To bad we'll never see these classic toon's on tv today due to the political correctiveness of todays society.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
On a side note, if you watched any of the original Bugs Bunny/WB cartoons from back in the day, you've probably already heard most of the music suggested in this thread. To bad we'll never see these classic toon's on tv today due to the political correctiveness of todays society.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Thanks for your insight. We need people like you preaching to the uninformed (like us here on Wackbag, a site devoted to O+A) about political correctness and how it has affected cartoons. I mean, I for one, was not aware that Bugs Bunny cartoons were banned from the air. So thank you.

On a more serious note, I am happy with these suggestions.