Close Encounters Super Special Edition coming

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Nov. 13
Details: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition (DVD, $40; Blu-ray Disc, $50). Includes three versions of the film: the 1977 original theatrical cut, the re-edited 1980 theatrical special edition, and Steven Spielberg's director's cut, released in 1998.
Why it's important: It's the first time a Spielberg movie has been issued on high-definition disc, and it's the first home video release of all three versions
What's new: An interview with Spielberg created especially for this release and a retrospective documentary.
Plus: Only on the 50 GB Blu-ray edition are new "storyboard-to-scene" comparisons and the original 1977 "Watch the Skies" featurette. Blu-ray, says David Bishop, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, "will add yet another new and thrilling dimension to this timeless film."
— Thomas K. Arnold, USA TODAY

The big thing here is if you've not bought the DVD before you get all 3 versions together. That's pretty sweet. Usually you have to choose between different versions and unless you've researched it, you really won't know which is best.

Also it's the first Spielberg movie coming out in HD. Odds are though the HD won't be phenominal unless they remastered the special effects. Usually with older films they processed the film then added the special effects before digitizing it all. Lately, like with King Kong, they digitize the film right out of the camera at a resolution beyond HD then process in the effects. That way there's no loss from going from analog. With movies like House of Flying Daggers, they've digitized and processed it out of the camera so many times the film looks awful in HD.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Bump!

The 40th anniversary super duper mega special edition is being released in theaters this weekend!

I've never seen this movie!

I'm going tomorrow!

Pray for me.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
What?

But tonight? Gas Face!
I feel like I'm supposed to get the gas face thing but I don't. Are you talking about Black Bolt making the "I just sharted" face when he knocks the cars over?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I feel like I'm supposed to get the gas face thing but I don't. Are you talking about Black Bolt making the "I just sharted" face when he knocks the cars over?
EVERY image I see of Black Bolt he looks gassy. Like he is about to fart or shart, or just did either. His tummy's upset and he doesn't know if it'll dissipate or become a catastrophe. EVERY image.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I was 4 when it came out. My mom took me to see Star Wars earlier that year but for whatever reason we never saw this. Come to think of it I didn't see very many movies in the theater until I was older. A couple Disney cartoons, the Star Wars trilogy, Star Trek 2, Raiders, ET, and that's probably it until 1984 when by Dad died and my mom sent us to the movies all the time just to keep us quiet.

I'm sure it made the rounds on cable eventually. I've seen parts of it here and there and have seen the ending, but I've definitely never watched the whole thing straight through and probably haven't seen the majority of it.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
EVERY image I see of Black Bolt he looks gassy. Like he is about to fart or shart, or just did either. His tummy's upset and he doesn't know if it'll dissipate or become a catastrophe. EVERY image.
Yeah, ok.

I think Medusa farted in this one:

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Yeah, ok.

I think Medusa farted in this one:

And like I said from the first image, he looks like a guy trying to squeeze back into his first X-Men Wolverine costume 20 years later.

And nuts to this if someone doesn't ride that dog.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
This boob already "fixed" CE3K once

The George Lucas school of fixing what isn't broken.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
This boob already "fixed" CE3K once

The George Lucas school of fixing what isn't broken.
I was doing a little reading on this, and I THINK the version they are showing tonight is the 30th anniversary special edition, which removes some of the fixes from the original special edition back in 1980.

The only change this go round is it's been digitally remastered in 4k.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
How does scifi define a more advanced alien civilization?

Answer: Better technology.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Bump!

The 40th anniversary super duper mega special edition is being released in theaters this weekend!

I've never seen this movie!

I'm going tomorrow!

Pray for me.
Greatest science fiction movie ever made.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Greatest science fiction movie ever made.
If we're drawing a clear distinction between Science/Space Fantasy and Science Fiction, then I'm open to this statement. If not...

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
If we're drawing a clear distinction between Science/Space Fantasy and Science Fiction, then I'm open to this statement. If not...
We are. I can even slightly adjust it and say it's the best alien movie ever made. Definitely arguments to be made about science fiction as a whole once you start to factor in things like what you mentioned and others too.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
We are. I can even slightly adjust it and say it's the best alien movie ever made. Definitely arguments to be made about science fiction as a whole once you start to factor in things like what you mentioned and others too.
I asked because boxofficemojo lumps it in with Jurassic Park, Star Wars, ET, Avatar, Star Trek, etc. I think there are parameters you can set up using Close Encounters to narrow down the definition to exclude "stuff set in space" or "stuff with aliens." A space setting or the involvement of aliens does not necessarily qualify something as science fiction.

Of course, when you narrow things down too much it limits your competition as well. Having not seen Close Encounters, 2001, or Blade Runner all the way through, which I believe is the consensus holy trinity of Science Fiction, I'd have to list movies like Interstellar, The Matrix, and The Terminator as some of my favorites.

As for best Alien movie, I think I'd have to say...Alien.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I asked because boxofficemojo lumps it in with Jurassic Park, Star Wars, ET, Avatar, Star Trek, etc. I think there are parameters you can set up using Close Encounters to narrow down the definition to exclude "stuff set in space" or "stuff with aliens." A space setting or the involvement of aliens does not necessarily qualify something as science fiction.

Of course, when you narrow things down too much it limits your competition as well. Having not seen Close Encounters, 2001, or Blade Runner all the way through, which I believe is the consensus holy trinity of Science Fiction, I'd have to list movies like Interstellar, The Matrix, and The Terminator as some of my favorites.

As for best Alien movie, I think I'd have to say...Alien.
Gotta disagree here. What Close Encounters does is far more interesting in terms of the whole "contact with aliens." In fact, Alien barely counts here, and that's actually a note to its credit - the clever thing Alien did was it transposed the idea of science fiction and aliens unto a monster movie/slasher mold. Kinda like what The Fourth Kind did only with ghost movies (The Fourth Kind, by the way, is a terrible movie that is absolutely genius in execution. I wish that idea was used for something good, because it's brilliant).

In any case, Close Encounters will always remain on top for me. It's so iconic and is also related to good childhood memories of mine. I also like that it avoids tropes that are SO common in other movies of this category, such as the evil government.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Gotta disagree here. What Close Encounters does is far more interesting in terms of the whole "contact with aliens." In fact, Alien barely counts here, and that's actually a note to its credit - the clever thing Alien did was it transposed the idea of science fiction and aliens unto a monster movie/slasher mold. Kinda like what The Fourth Kind did only with ghost movies (The Fourth Kind, by the way, is a terrible movie that is absolutely genius in execution. I wish that idea was used for something good, because it's brilliant).

In any case, Close Encounters will always remain on top for me. It's so iconic and is also related to good childhood memories of mine. I also like that it avoids tropes that are SO common in other movies of this category, such as the evil government.
I think you missed the part where I said I haven't seen Close Encounters.

And I also distinguished Alien as an "alien" movie, not science fiction. If I had to make one ground rule for Science Fiction it's "the movie has to explore some element of science or pose scientific questions." Alien doesn't do that. It's just a monster movie set in space as you said.

I think the Matrix is on the bubble, but it does explore some pretty heady concepts, hence it's inclusion on my list. Same with Jurassic Park.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I think you missed the part where I said I haven't seen Close Encounters.

And I also distinguished Alien as an "alien" movie, not science fiction. If I had to make one ground rule for Science Fiction it's "the movie has to explore some element of science or pose scientific questions." Alien doesn't do that. It's just a monster movie set in space as you said.

I think the Matrix is on the bubble, but it does explore some pretty heady concepts, hence it's inclusion on my list. Same with Jurassic Park.
Yeah it's gotten harder as more and more different aspects of what you'd generally call "science fiction" are explored in cinema. I'm very curious to see your reaction to Close Encounters and whether or not it will be impactful to someone watching it for the first time now. Some aspects of it are certainly dated, but I think the quality shines through.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Yeah it's gotten harder as more and more different aspects of what you'd generally call "science fiction" are explored in cinema. I'm very curious to see your reaction to Close Encounters and whether or not it will be impactful to someone watching it for the first time now. Some aspects of it are certainly dated, but I think the quality shines through.
I've seen the ending and know most of the basics, so it's not like I'm going in cold like I would a movie just coming out. I'm excited to see it in an RPX theater so I can really get the full experience.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I've seen the ending and know most of the basics, so it's not like I'm going in cold like I would a movie just coming out. I'm excited to see it in an RPX theater so I can really get the full experience.
The actual mothership miniature is at the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum (where we saw Dunkirk). It's super cool.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Iron Man!

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Doug Trumble may be the greatest pre-CGI effects artist. 2001, Close Encounters and Blade Runner were flawless. The CE3K "inside the mothership" coda was a travesty. It reminds me of my great uncle Fred. I had a great-great aunt who was a renowned Ordre des Arts et des Lettres winner in France and had given our family many paintings, including one of some breed of dog that had its tail clipped off. So my Uncle Fred saw fit to purchase some Aurora model paint from the drug store and paint a tail on it.