OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

closed Wackbag Book Club September Selection Thread

Discussion in 'Books & Literature' started by TomC, Aug 13, 2013.

?

Which would you most like to read?

1. Bill The Vampire by Rick Gualtier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter: Seth Grahame-Smith

50.0%
  4. The Chase (Isaac Bell, #1) by Clive Cussler

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

note:
    Early, sorry, wanted this on the 15th but dont think I'll have time for how long this is going to take at my desktop for the next 3-4 days.

This month I call "Fast, Fun, and Dumb". I feel we have been real heavy with the choices since RP1 and then there was @Kugzilla.

You were going to get a 1256 page (I checked) Brandon Sanderson book, a 60+ year old Si-fi masterpiece (A Canticle for Leibowitz), I was even thinking of Dune, and was racking my brain for other highfalutin books that you guys didn't recommend to me. Then the last two months have been extra "off the beating path" with two Soviet Russia books in a row, Way to deep for me. I can feel the eye-rolls but said "FUCK IT", I going with the theme of "Fast, Fun and Dumb" As in fast reads, fun reads, and no thinking needed. I really did not try for the monster theme. Thank You, Low brow book guy Tom.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058I8A6K/?tag=wackbagcom-20

I knew that this book was going to be one hell of a good time when right after super sarcastic (from NYC)computer nerd Bill was turned into a vampire and before he could be staked by the head Vampire he broke loose, punched the head guy in the balls and said "I am the terror that flaps in the night", jumps out the window, and falls to the street(nope, cant fly). I was sold with the "DarkWing Duck" quote.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/145151705X/?tag=wackbagcom-20

I thought about not telling you this, but this is the one I hope you guys pick, I love every page of all the books. You really get into the life of super sarcastic (from Boston) Mike Talbot and what he goes through to keep his family alive. Mike looks out the peephole to check if the coast is clear and finds a zombie licking his peephole, He thinks to himself that sounds a lot sexier than it really is. Please give this one a chance
    [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BV2MKR2/?tag=wackbagcom-20

You know what, I liked this book 3 out 5, movie sucked, and I don't think to many of you have read it.

[​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0425224422/?tag=wackbagcom-20
    I already know that Clive will get no love here, @BIV tried back in April and he got zero votes, I just ask that you read the "back cover". This book started a whole new direction for Clive books, Isaac Bell is a gentleman detective at the turn of the 20th century, I know how that sounds but if you ever get a few hours to spare in the airport or whatever give it a shot, it's a ton of fun.

I'm ready @NeonTaster, rip me apart,

2. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Thank god you didn't pick World War Z as your zombie book... that would have ruined my Brad Pitt theme for October.

TomC likes this.
  3. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I always get singled out.

TomC likes this.
  4. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

Book Club Is Now Over

5. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

that really hurts, no wavy guy, nothing

6. Jacuzzi Billy

Jacuzzi Billy Watching PTI
    Donator

At least I would have been happy!!!

I was waiting to read Canticle, I will probably still read it in September.

TomC likes this.
  7. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

I highly recommend it, it's deep and depressing , did not fit my theme of fluff books for Sep

8. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I think perhaps the guidelines were too vague to begin with. That was what my whole thing was about - it turned out wildly different than I thought it would, and it turned out the best books I read this year were the non book club ones. I don't know what to do about it. Maybe reform it with stricter rules - restrict it to certain genres... I don't know. Last time I gave my opinion on this I got a feeling I was a substantial minority, but it looks like a lot of other people are having the same problems I did.

9. LiddyRules

@NeonTaster , I still don't understand the entire it went away from your original intention thing. Did you want there to be some pre-posting-approval of books? Based on who's standards? But my big issue is that I have a moral objection to anything that uses the term "super sarcastic" and half of the list uses that. And that's not me being sarcastic. It gave me douche chills.

10. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

I didn't need to read the descriptions, only the titles. No vampires/zombies so I chose Clive. I have read one or two of his Fargo books. They were fun.

Scott Brick is narrator on the audiobook.

11. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

Wow I was trying to be cute by using it twice, I am a guy from the south and we are supposed to think all yankees are super sarcastic douche bags, PLEASE send all your douche chills to me and not the books, At least not Zombie Fallout, I swear all of them are fun reads, thats all I was trying for.

12. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

In my mind since the people who initially expressed interest in it all seemed to read a lot of the same books that it would kinda stick to that general genre sphere (and it's a pretty loose sphere. Something like Safehold is hardly in the same category as Fight Club yet both exist in the sphere I imagined). Instead people got adventurous and eclectic, and while that might be appealing to some, for me it fell well below my average level of enjoyment for any random book that I pick myself on Amazon. So if my choice is to read 12 books in a year where my average enjoyment level is an 8 or 9 and to read 12 books where my average enjoyment is a 5 or 6 with maybe the occasional 8 or 9 if I'm lucky, I'd rather stick to the former.

13. whiskeyguy

@LiddyRules I've said many times, I will save the club in October.

Not sure what I'll go with this month. Zombie books are good if they have a decent post-apocalyptic survival element (beyond just shooting and running, actual survival tactics and issues).

On another note, did Amazon fuck with their site format for the first time in 8 years? It kinda jumps out at you now.

14. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

Is it worth saving if I am going to destroy it in November?

whiskeyguy likes this.
  15. LiddyRules

But that sphere seems to be "The Sphere of Neon," which only you can define. I think part of reading is that we may all like the same "base" book but have reasons for liking it, and where we take off from that is up to us individually as readers. I don't think that the diameter of "The Sphere of Book Club" is nearly as small as you imagined it to be. I'm not saying to read books, you won't enjoy. I'm just saying you should have never expected us to be in the same ball.

Additionally, I would put Safehold and Fight Club in completely different spheres. If someone told me that they liked Fight Club, I wouldn't recommend Safehold to them. I wouldn't not recommend it, but it wouldn't be in my top 50 (or maybe even top 100) suggestions.

16. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

Fargo books are great fun, no zombies or vampires, why you like fantasy, just think of them as evil elves . We got other hard asses that say no dragons or mages.

17. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Again - my expectations were based on the people who originally expressed interest in it and their reading history as I saw it in the books thread. And I still think you are being a bit obtuse about this. Name one book that you thought would be in my sphere and were surprised to discover was not.

18. whiskeyguy

I don't mind being remembered as the man who made the heroic last stand against impossible odds in the fall of 2013.

Jacuzzi Billy likes this.
  19. LiddyRules

I don't think I remembered you seeing you comment on Roadside Picnic. Similarly, I didn't think you'd care about Relic. But even with the above description, you called it "my sphere." It makes it sound like you expected this book club to be catered to you.

20. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

screw every complaint until one of you read one of my books, I got @LiddyRules hating due to my shitty description, I included a real link to the books. I got @Flush.Buy.Fuck hating any thing with Vamps or zombies.

21. LiddyRules

I know they say never judge a book by its cover but come on

[​IMG]

22. whiskeyguy

I'm not even taking into consideration your choices (I don't mind at least one of them, and haven't looked into the others), just the general discontent on the 'Bag.

TomC likes this.
  23. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

I'm not hating. I have no problem with your selections. I voted for Clive so there's that.

TomC likes this.
  24. TomC

TomC uppity neobarb

25. LiddyRules

By the way, I voted for Clive and AB Linx. I'm cool with either of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.