Cloud Atlas - Wachowskis & Tykwer - Hanks/Berry/Weaving/Sarandon etc. - Oct 26

Neon

ネオン
Donator

From the Wachowskis and the director of Run Lola Run. First extended look is available here (still no Youtube link):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cloud-atlas-trailer-tom-hanks-halle-berry-354876

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/cloudatlas/

Kinda reminds me of Aronofski's The Fountain (a very VERY good thing). Looks visually interesting. I'm intrigued.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1371111/

Sorta looks like a movie about how events in the past can have Butterfly Effect-type results in different points in the future.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Definitely got a Fountain vibe from the trailer. This movie looks like it could be 7 hours long from all the stuff going on.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Definitely got a Fountain vibe from the trailer. This movie looks like it could be 7 hours long from all the stuff going on.
Ha. I thought the same thing about the length.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
I posit an alternative timeline, invoked by one small random act of kindness, in which Tom Hanks is a struggling TV actor and Peter Scolari is a fabulously weathy self-important movie star who educates the masses about politics.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
I think I liked the fountain. I'm still not sure.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
The Fountain was the first thing I thought off watching the trailer a couple days ago. I am still not sure what to think about this one though, the trailer really seems clusterfucked and vague.

mascan42

From the trailer, and an early draft of the screenplay that I skimmed through, it looks like they've changed the book's structure so that we're intercutting between storylines instead of telling half of each story, then interrupting with another story, and finishing it later on. That sort of thing might work on the page (and even there, it became really frustrating after a while) but nobody would stand for it in a movie.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Looks like another film I'm not smart enough to get. The Matrix movies completely lost me after the first one. The Fountain was way to weird for me to get.

mascan42

The other thing that occurs to me is that, especially with the new restructuring, this is going to require a master editor to make sense of it. From the trailer, it doesn't look like they've created a distinct visual style for each storyline, which will make it difficult for the audience to tell where and when they are.

Bobobie

You get excited because it looks kind of SCIFI at first glance, but then you see that it's really some kind of artsy fartsy fantasy film. I'm glad the trailers are so long now.

I remember seeing the trailers for "Bicentennial Man" and "A.I. Artificial intelligence" back in the day. They were never long enough to figure out just how much the story sucked.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
I have such low expectations after reading the plot. Huge spoilers so don't do it if you like surprises.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
I have such low expectations after reading the plot. Huge spoilers so don't do it if you like surprises.
They took the matrix from that anime show ghost in the shell so whats this film based on?

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
buffer
buffer
buffer

A:
buffer
buffer
The closest movie I can come up to is Inception plus some movie about 3 different womens' stories in a family that I don't know the name of.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
My thoughts from the last movie thread

I kept forgetting to post about it. I think it looks interesting and I definitely get the Fountain reference you mentioned. I do wonder if it's going to try too hard to create an emotional connection and fall flat on its face in doing so. Kind of like how they tried to make The Matrix Trilogy into the epic love story of Trinity and Neo. I'm definitely interested in seeing it, but there's something that just isn't connecting for me in the trailer. Maybe it's Tom Hanks.

I thought the extended look made it seem as though this movie lacks an intimacy. Time will tell though. Time will tell.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
If they make a movie about Tom Hanks, they should get Tom Hanks to play Tom Hanks. Because Tom Hanks loves playing Tom Hanks.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
I sure am glad I watched the 5min trailer and know the entire fucking plot, ending included with a little intuition.