Clubs using advanced ID scanners to ban patrons

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I wonder what Jersey boy Fletcher thinks about this*?

Club's ID Policy Angers Some Customers

Posted: May 23, 2012 10:06 PM by Emily Allen
Updated: May 23, 2012 11:01 PM

COLUMBIA - Dee Herdeg was thrilled when she found out she won an "office party" at Déjà Vu Comedy Club. But Herdeg and her entourage only made it up to the front door.

"He scanned my driver's license and we started to walk past him and he tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Ma'am, you have to leave, you're banned." I said, "What?" He said, "You're banned.' And I was like, 'Ya, okay, right,'" said Herdeg.

But, Herdeg said she came to realize the bouncer wasn't kidding--she was banned from Déjà Vu.

"It was humiliating... to have to turn around in front of my friends, in front of all those people and walk back through the line and all the people looking at you like, 'What did you do?,'" Herdeg said.

Herdeg wasn't alone. The club's co-managing partner, Matt Istwan, said the club has lost 10 to 15 percent of its business because of a new policy that established a permanent ban list. Istwan said the club bought ID scanners to help detect fake IDs. The carding machines also store basic information like names, dates of birth, driver's license numbers and addresses.

With the new machines, the club can flag driver's licenses for a number of reasons and put them on the permanent ban list. This could happen if a customer was asked to leave or refused service during a previous visit, if any member of a customer's party was asked to leave or refused service or if a customer has a criminal background.

In Herdeg's case, she had been with a group during a previous visit that had caused trouble. Her ID, along with everyone else's in the group, was flagged and the club looked her up on Missouri's Case.net, an online legal database. Herdeg had a misdemeanor for selling alochol to a minor in 2011 and therefore, Herdeg couldn't return to Déjà Vu. Herdeg said she worked at a convenience store and she had checked the minor's ID quickly and made a mistake when she was subtracting the numbers. She said she paid her dues and moved on from the incident.

"She probably was not one of these threats. But to be fair to the system we have in place, to be consistent with what we have in place, to avoid the possibility of a law suit that says we're discriminating against age, religion or sex, we said this is the standards we have in place and unfortunately, she met the standards," said Istwan.

Istwan said the club has lost 10 to 15 percent of its business because of the new policy. He said his office receives 3 to 5 phones calls a week with people inquiring about their ban list and asking to be removed from it. Istwan said Déjà Vu's proactive policy is a necessity for the business.

"It only takes on event, a large fight, a possible stabbing, and in worst case scenario a possible shooting. If just one of those was ever to occur, then I just lost my business."

He said he's seen this happen to night clubs in Columbia and Jefferson City as well as St. Louis and Kansas City.

Columbia Police Sergeant Eric Hughes is supportive of Déjà Vu's ID scanners. He said he hopes more places around Columbia will start to use these.

"Other bars will eventually begin doing this and it will become a nationwide trend because it does take libaility off the establishment. It does make it a safer environment if the known problem makers aren't allowed back into the bar."

Herdeg said she isn't crushed that she will never be allowed back to Déjà Vu. However, the humiliation and embarrassment she felt makes her never want to go back again.

http://www.komu.com/news/club-s-id-policy-angers-some-customers/

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Good. Drunks ruin comedy shows all the time. They ruin good times everywhere with their fucking obnoxious yelling and rude behavior. You can't act like an adult you should get banned.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
This isn't new. I worked security at a night club four years ago, and we were using this technology then... and we're in the fucking boondocks out here.

The only people we permanently banned were those who attacked employees or tried to sneak weapons into the club.

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
This isn't new. I worked security at a night club four years ago, and we were using this technology then... and we're in the fucking boondocks out here.

The only people we permanently banned were those who attacked employees or tried to sneak weapons into the club.
Ah. Blacks.

:action-sm

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
So the scanners didnt get her banned, she was banned for something else and the scanner remembered she got kicked out for something else previously?

Good.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
I hate it when stupid drunk bitches show up to the comedy club. One of the guys I work with used to bounce at The Funny Bone in Omaha. Every week he had to toss some drunken loud mouth broad for heckling or refusing to shut up. When I saw Jim Jefferies some stupid hole had no idea that "cunt" was one of his favorite words and got loud and indignant about it.

Ban them all!!

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I wonder what Jersey boy Fletcher thinks about this*?
I would comment but Im late for my tanning sesh. Then its out to get hammered with my boys and hopefully get some skank home and naked. Because those are the only things that happen in New Jersey.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
So the scanners didnt get her banned, she was banned for something else and the scanner remembered she got kicked out for something else previously?

Good.
To a point, yes. I hate people that act like assholes at clubs and they
deserve to be banned. What I question is this:
This could happen if a customer was asked to leave or refused service during a previous visit, if any member of a customer's party was asked to leave or refused service or if a customer has a criminal background.
So if some dumbass in the group fucked up then I gotta get banned?
That's pretty fucked up. I've been plenty of places and we went as a
group where I didn't know everyone. And a criminal background? That's
a tag vague. Tons of people have done things and paid their dues.
Sounds like this policy needs a bit of tweeking.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
I would comment but Im late for my tanning sesh. Then its out to get hammered with my boys and hopefully get some skank home and naked. Because those are the only things that happen in New Jersey.
You even suck at being a Jersey boy. First you go to the gym, have a protein bar on the way to the tanning beds, then to the laundry, and then you go home and hang out in your wife beater until its clubbin time.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I don't get the "Jersey" reference by OP.
Posing Jersey Shore animated gifs is usually Kirk's response to attempt to make fun of or to disregard a post when Fletcher(he's from Jersey) buries him logically or bashes him.

Danesy

Cute but psycho, it all evens out.
Jun 5, 2006
Satellite of Love
You even suck at being a Jersey boy. First you go to the gym, have a protein bar on the way to the tanning beds, then to the laundry, and then you go home and hang out in your wife beater until its clubbin time.
Hmmm.... how does basement dweller know so much about Jersey? Methinks that he lives in Jersey and that he's a filthy liar.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
So if some dumbass in the group fucked up then I gotta get banned?
That's pretty fucked up. I've been plenty of places and we went as a
group where I didn't know everyone. And a criminal background? That's
a tag vague. Tons of people have done things and paid their dues.
Sounds like this policy needs a bit of tweeking.
The club is private property. They don't need a whole lot of reason to deny you access. At the very minimum it shows you have bad judgement in who you consider friends. Go find some dive bar that doesn't have a velvet rope at the door toots.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Hmmm.... how does basement dweller know so much about Jersey? Methinks that he lives in Jersey and that he's a filthy liar.
Jersey is like a really bad car wreck and I can't help but look and see how extreme liberalism destroys a state and turns it into a nanny/police state.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
The club is private property. They don't need a whole lot of reason to deny you access. At the very minimum it shows you have bad judgement in who you consider friends. Go find some dive bar that doesn't have a velvet rope at the door toots.
But on many occasions a group of people get together that
have never met. To hold the whole group accountable for
one dumbass seems a tad extreme.

Wait til this starts to hurt their profit margin. Things will change.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Criminal background checks on people just wanting to get a beer is fucking disturbing.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
But on many occasions a group of people get together that
have never met. To hold the whole group accountable for
one dumbass seems a tad extreme.

Wait til this starts to hurt their profit margin. Things will change.
That's what I was going to say... most clubs wont abuse this, because no one wants to go to a club that bans you for the slightest reason. We had one week and one month bans, for people who fought or were just assholes... but for the most part we would just cut someone off or kick them out for the night. I can only think of two people I banned permanently... one punched the owner of the club in the face (then tried to fight the entire security staff), and the other tried sneaking a metal pipe into the club in his sock (moron stood in line and watched us wand people for at least five minutes), then started fighting us when we wouldn't let him in.

That said, these ID scanners are pretty fucking useful, because you can't remember everyone who was a problem.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Have fun Bro-ing Down!

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
That said, these ID scanners are pretty fucking useful, because you can't remember everyone who was a problem.
Hell yeah, I did some bouncing when I was younger.
On a busy night it's hard to remember every asshat.

But to ban everyone in a group because one was a
shit head. Bad for business.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Criminal background checks on people just wanting to get a beer is fucking disturbing.
It's hard for me to blame the bars, because they are always the first name on the list of defendants for every bullshit lawsuit. Make THAT shit illegal and I'd have more of a problem with this.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
It's hard for me to blame the bars, because they are always the first name on the list of defendants for every bullshit lawsuit. Make THAT shit illegal and I'd have more of a problem with this.
Yeah, There is a club in Pittsburgh that is pretty popular and almost every weekend there is some sort of fight. A few years ago there was a shooting, guess who was named on the lawsuit that accompanied the charges?

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Seeing that it's private property and it's optional I really don't have a problem with it. However if this were to some how become a government required program via the insurance companies wanting a law passed to help keep their liability to a minimum....yikes. The abuse could be epic.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
"She probably was not one of these threats. But to be fair to the system we have in place, to be consistent with what we have in place, to avoid the possibility of a law suit that says we're discriminating against age, religion or sex, we said this is the standards we have in place and unfortunately, she met the standards," said Istwan.
I'm thinking he left out one more discrimination "category." I think that's what this is all about, keeping out certain undesirables.