Coca-Cola apologizes for 'You retard' Vitaminwater bottle cap

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
What are the odds a tard bought strange water and happened to get the one cap that insulted her? Zero. They went searching for a cap to be mad at.

Coca-Cola apologizes for 'You retard' Vitaminwater bottle cap

QMI Agency

First posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 05:32 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 19, 2013 06:20 PM EDT

Edmonton's Blake Loates opened a bottle of Vitaminwater on Tuesday and found the words "YOU RETARD" printed on the inside of the bottle cap.

And her father, Doug Loates, was so shocked by the text, he wrote a scathing letter to Coca-Cola about it.

He lives in Tacoma, Wash., with his twin 11-year-old daughters, both of whom have disabilities. Maddi is visually impaired and Fiona has cerebral palsy.

"You see, the "R" word is considered a swear word in out family. We don't use it. We don't tolerate others using it around us. We ARE over-sensitive but you would be too if you had Fiona for a daughter!" he wrote in a letter to Coca-Cola's board of directors, which he also posted in Facebook. "What would YOU do if you opened up your bottle of Vitamin Water and on the bottom of the lid it read "YOU RETARD"? Think about it. I bet you'd be pissed if you had a Fiona in your life!"

Coca-Cola has since apologized for the bottle cap, which it said was an accident.

I would like to share the revised letter my father received from @CocaCola. I commend them on their actions. PLS RT pic.twitter.com/7YCei28dj2

— Blake Loates (@blakeloates) September 19, 2013

He included a picture of Fiona and the words: "Can you imagine if SHE had opened this bottle???"

According to Vitaminwater's website, the bottle caps combine "random" French and English words. "Retard" in French means late.

"We love a little word play and all the brilliant combinations different words have to offer so we placed randomly selected words under each cap," reads the site.

Coca-Cola has destroyed the remaining caps.

Poll
Should someone lose their job over this?
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/19/coca-cola-apologizes-for-you-retard-vitaminwater-bottle-cap

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
"You see, the "R" word is considered a swear word in out family. We don't use it. We don't tolerate others using it around us. We ARE over-sensitive but you would be too if you had Fiona for a daughter!" he wrote in a letter to Coca-Cola's board of directors, which he also posted in Facebook.
Fuck you and your retarded daughter.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
According to Vitaminwater's website, the bottle caps combine "random" French and English words.
That's the best promotion they could come up with? Someone should be fired for laziness.

Coca-Cola has destroyed the remaining caps.
Thank God. Before more lives are ruined.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
"According to Vitaminwater's website, the bottle caps combine "random" French and English words. "Retard" in French means late."

Well that explains it. The French gave up during production and pretty much phoned it in.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
"According to Vitaminwater's website, the bottle caps combine "random" French and English words. "Retard" in French means late."
They should have had a retard term abortion.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
He included a picture of Fiona and the words: "Can you imagine if SHE had opened this bottle???"
Considering her CP, I'd be mighty impressed.

Also screw this family for considering their daughter retarded.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
That's really funny. If I got that bottle cap I'd be laughing about it the rest of the day if not week. The last thing I would be is angry or insulted. But then again, I possess a decent sense of humor. Just for shits and giggles, Coke should have the occasional cap with a racial or homosexual slur just to get some reaction.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
As posted in the funny things thread, that's what it means in English, too.

Fucking oversensitive idiots.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
As posted in the funny things thread, that's what it means in English, too.

Fucking oversensitive idiots.
HEY!

I was also thinking how much longer until I don't get calls to fix a "retarder" in a bakery.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
At least they actually used "retard" in the article. I hope the French word for black is Negro and that there's still some bottles out there.

ScarletNumber

Feb 26, 2013
At least they actually used "retard" in the article. I hope the French word for black is Negro and that there's still some bottles out there.
The French word for black is "noir".

#LiteralScarletNumber

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
But "late" implies that those people will get there eventually. Not happening.

steve500

Oct 20, 2008
35,000 ft
Who are the retarded 48% who think someone should be fired?

Southtown

Aug 10, 2004
Fuck this guy. I bet before he had his retard he had no problem with the word, and probably loved using it. Now that he has a retard everyone else has to stop using it because now he doesn't like it. This reminds me of Jimmys ME ME ITS ALL ABOUT MEEEEE rants

The same thing happened to my friend. He had a handicapped kid and now him and his wife are ultra sensitive to the word retard. I told him he just has to take it in context and realize when people say that they aren't talking about his son. Until people start using the retards name in their sentence like "Stop acting like a Fiona", they should know people mean no harm by it.