Cocaine in the air in Rome

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
ROME (Reuters) - Scientists have discovered particles of cocaine and marijuana, as well as caffeine and tobacco, in the air of Italy's capital, they said on Thursday.

The concentration of drugs was heaviest in the air around Rome's Sapienza university, though the
National Research Council's Dr. Angelo Cecinato warned against drawing conclusions about students' recreational habits.

Calling their study "the first in the world to show the presence of particles of cocaine suspended in the atmosphere of the city," the researchers said they took samples in Rome, the southern city of Taranto and in Algiers in North Africa.

Nicotine and caffeine were detected in all three, "showing how widespread consumption of these substances is and how they remain in the atmosphere," state-funded CNR said in a statement.

The concentration of cocaine in Rome's atmosphere was only 0.1 nanogrammes (1 nanogramme is one billionth of a gramme) per cubic metre at its height during winter months, the researchers said. But the conclusions were worrying for public health.

"It is well documented that even small concentrations in the air of these pollutants can seriously damage health," said Dr. Ivo Allegrini of the CNR's Institute for Atmospheric Pollution.
ugh...... I see the findings of this study being used to try to ban smoking, even outdoors.

The concentration of cocaine in Rome's atmosphere was only 0.1 nanogrammes (1 nanogramme is one billionth of a gramme) per cubic metre at its height during winter months, the researchers said. But the conclusions were worrying for public health.

"It is well documented that even small concentrations in the air of these pollutants can seriously damage health," said Dr. Ivo Allegrini of the CNR's Institute for Atmospheric Pollution.
Is it?

I guess cocaine is more dangerous than nerve gas.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
0.1 nanograms per cubic meter. Is freaking infintesimely small. The concentration would be higher for the air in your wallet. The ability to detect something this minute is neat. However it shouldn't set public policy in any country. That's 1 part per 830 trillionths. 1:8.3 x 10^-14. Most stuff needs to be in the ppb level to have any effect or 1:10^-6. abudbit is right I guess according to Italy cocaine is more toxic than sarin.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Of course it's highest at La Sapienza. I was there for a semester, we used to smoke joints right on the steps of the building and all people do there is drink coffee and smoke cigs. And Buster, even if they ban smoking outdoors in Rome, no one will follow the law. They don't even follow the public smoking ban indoors. In restaurants they have "No smoking" signs on the walls but still put ash trays on the tables. The only time they'll ask people to put it out is if another patron complains.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
And Buster, even if they ban smoking outdoors in Rome, no one will follow the law. They don't even follow the public smoking ban indoors. In restaurants they have "No smoking" signs on the walls but still put ash trays on the tables. The only time they'll ask people to put it out is if another patron complains.

I'm not sure when you were there last but, I spent 10 days there in Mar '06 and another 10 days there this year. During both trips, I never saw anyone smoking indoors anywhere, including bars. Regardless, I'm not worrying about them doing it in Rome. I'm thinking that some radical anti-smoking group here in the states will see something like that and use it as a way to try and ban it here.

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
0.1 nanograms per cubic meter. Is freaking infintesimely small. The concentration would be higher for the air in your wallet. The ability to detect something this minute is neat. However it shouldn't set public policy in any country. That's 1 part per 830 trillionths. 1:8.3 x 10^-14. Most stuff needs to be in the ppb level to have any effect or 1:10^-6.