COD4 Tips

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I just got 360 and COD4, partially because they make it sound so fun on the show, plus my friends all play it.

The problem is, I suck at it. Ive never really been good at first person shooters in general. In a COD4 free-for all, I average 2-4 kills with say 15 deaths.

My biggest problem is aiming the gun fast enough and scoring the kill. Now when you play the game it starts off with the tutorial where you can double tap L trigger and it auto-focuses.

Does this work with all primary weapons, and does it work in multiplayer? Didnt seem to make any difference when playing online.

Right now Im getting murdered every 20 seconds and its pissing me off.

Could be be becuase Im a n00b on the game and I dont have good weapons yet?

If I have a face-face shootout with somebody, I get killed 90% of the time.

So, who can give me some good tips on how to get better? I know playing more is the obvious answer, but I need some tips from you GAAYS.

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
How about all you CoD4 jackasses try to conserve on the threads? Like 4-5 different threads on CoD4..

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I'm not even spectacular at the game, nor am I a GAAY just yet, but like you said, the biggest thing is just playing more. Other than that, weapon choice does make a huge difference I think. I use the M4 Carbine pretty much every game until I get the P90, then I switch to that. Perks are a big deal too. Definitely use one of double tap/stopping power once you unlock them. And I use martyrdom with most of my setups since I play mostly Headquarters, and that's good for a few kills a game too.

When you get into one on one battles, try to move around and shoot at the same time if you can, and aim high up on them too. You'll kill them a lot quicker shooting them in the head/chest than you will shooting them in the legs.

Also as you become more familiar with the maps you'll find you do better and better. There are certain spots on pretty much every map where if you go there, you're getting killed, period. You'll also learn where people will be fighting/hiding and you can go there and get some easy kills.

Another thing that took me a while to start doing is shoot in short bursts with most guns. Most of them have some wicked muzzle climb, so from medium to long distances, just shoot 3-4 shots, let go for a quick second, then repeat.

Like I said, I'm not great, but I almost always finish top 3 in FFA and after a horrendous start I have a positive K/D in most games too. I'm sure other people will add way better advice than what I just gave.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
it depends on the weapon partly, but if you are just starting off, what i did was use the mp5, a pretty accurate gun, also try using the steady aim perk. the best way to get good is practice, im not that great, but play the single player on veteran, your aim is bound to get better, or you'll be repeating parts a lot. sniping is all you, if you are way off, and dont time holding your breath and stuff, than you will miss a lot

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
How about all you CoD4 jackasses try to conserve on the threads? Like 4-5 different threads on CoD4..
COD4 Jackass? Go screw. There's 50 times the number of threads regarding computer problems, but yet they arent all merged :rolleyes: This is the computer/gaming section. You sound bitter.

Seeinred, thanks for the reply. That's the type of information I'm looking for, you too Ninja.

try using the steady aim perk.

Is that the Double tap on the L Trigger, or while using the Sniper Rifle?

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
COD4 Jackass? Go screw. There's 50 times the number of threads regarding computer problems, but yet they arent all merged :rolleyes: This is the computer/gaming section. You sound bitter.
I hate seeing multiple threads on the same subject that people feel the need to start a new thread on, especially something recent, not dug 9 pages back..

and yeah, 50 different computer problems, and all of them the same, and should be merged... YOU sir, should go screw.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I've noticed that CoD4 has a whole lot of dying. Ant put it pretty well on the show by saying that there is nowhere to hide because there's so many entry points to everything. My scores are pretty damn consistent. I may get 30 kills in a round. But I'll have 29 or 30 deaths too. I may have only 3 kills. But I'll have 2 or 3 deaths.

I've only had the helicopter twice.... I'm worse at this game than any other FPS game, but it's a fucking blast.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I hate seeing multiple threads on the same subject that people feel the need to start a new thread on, especially something recent, not dug 9 pages back..

and yeah, 50 different computer problems, and all of them the same, and should be merged... YOU sir, should go screw.
Recent COD4 Threads:

1. CoD4 PC/360/PS3 (MERGED) - A 31 Page thread, covering PS3, Xbox360, XBL Connection problems, and general discussion.

2. [O&A] COD4 Clan? - Not applicable

3. Bobby Kelly on Call of Duty? - Discussing Bob Kelly's gamertag

4. Does COD4 have the power to turn Anthony into a console gamer? - Not Applicable

5. I want to play Call of Duty 4 but I am poor - I'm not.

6. Question for Call of Duty 4 gamers.. - a PC Gamer having hardware problems.

That's back to 12/10 - Im asking a relatively specific question that isnt a general converation of the game itself, so which of those threads would be appropriate to post in, grand forum consolodation wizard?

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
That's back to 12/10 - Im asking a relatively specific question that isnt a general converation of the game itself, so which of those threads would be appropriate to post in, grand forum consolodation wizard?
"I'm new to the game, tips?"

Easily, put in the "General discussion" CoD4 thread.. is it that hard?

Die alot, and learn from your mistakes. There, I helped.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
"I'm new to the game, tips?"

Easily, put in the "General discussion" CoD4 thread.. is it that hard?

Die alot, and learn from your mistakes. There, I helped.
If it wasnt 31 pages, I probably would, but it's a busy thread. At least if somebody answers me here, I know its for me (or did before you interjected)

I appreciate your tip after everything we've been through :action-sm

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I've noticed that CoD4 has a whole lot of dying. Ant put it pretty well on the show by saying that there is nowhere to hide because there's so many entry points to everything. My scores are pretty damn consistent. I may get 30 kills in a round. But I'll have 29 or 30 deaths too. I may have only 3 kills. But I'll have 2 or 3 deaths.

I've only had the helicopter twice.... I'm worse at this game than any other FPS game, but it's a fucking blast.
Oh, that sucks :( I have a 1.42 kill to death ratio. I don't see why everyone just gets killed all of the time.

Just listen. That's the most important thing. You can hear people running from a mile away.

Become a dirtbelly. Utilize ground cover to lie low when you need to let people get around you so you can spring up and kill them from behind. Typically people only look at eye level and ignore a lot of what's on the ground.

Also, with things like C4 usage. You can throw blocks of C4 into trash onto the ground and no one will see it. Throw your C4 into empty paint cans, cardboard boxes, milk crates and even loose cinder blocks. The C4 will pass through these objects due to having no proxy so you can walk through them.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Don't stand still when firing. Practice strafing side to side and keeping your sights on your target while shooting.

If your getting hit and can't see the person who is shooting you, just run around a corner or out of sight until you get your bearings. Always keep an eye on your map.

As for the noob tube, yes its gay.

Martyrdom is fine, its a perk that is earned, and people just get mad because it takes more skill to kill a guy in a room and then escape the dropped grenade then it does to just kill them.

Oh and just a tip: if you say the words noob, owned, pwned or any variation on those while playing, you are a fucking queer. Seriously.

TheICON

Showstopper, Main Eventer
Jul 20, 2005
Bronx, NY
The noob tube isn't even accurate. At least when I played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, you could shoot the Panzer clear across the map and be almost guaranteed to get someone killed. The only time you should use the Noob tube is to take down a chopper, and even then, you can shoot it down with any gun.

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
whats the noob tube? RPG?
I believe its the M203....

Martyrdom is fine, its a perk that is earned, and people just get mad because it takes more skill to kill a guy in a room and then escape the dropped grenade then it does to just kill them.
Yeah is it? I am pretty good and I have Martyrdom is gay...Please tell me how if I sneak up on someone kill them that I deserve to die because I have to run from a grenade a corpse let go....I have to run from it and most of the time I run right into another enemy....Its dumb.. I know people use it and its part of the game so whatever, but its dumb...