Comedian Shot Dead After Making Islamist Jokes

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale

Somali comedian Abdi Jeylani Malaq Marshale was shot dead late on Wednesday while leaving a local radio station in the capital of Mogadishu, AFP reports. He was well-known for producing comedic commentary on Islamic militants in a country torn by multiple factions. He also did a lot of work aimed at encouraging youth not to join extremist groups in a country that has lacked a stable government since 1991.

This particular murder has been linked to threats aimed at the comedian from the extremist group Al-Shabaab last year. The comedian went into hiding after those threats for several days but continued to work until this most recent attack. Marshale was killed by two men who shot him several times in the head and chest, the Guardian reports.

The AFP also points out that media workers are particularly vulnerable in Somalia in recent months. One media worker has been killed each month since the beginning of this year in the country, and investigations are slow to take place, if ever. Laugh Spin quotes Amnesty International, who has commented on this most recent murder and the state of the justice system in Somalia:
Amnesty International is shocked not only by the continuing pattern of targeted attacks against media workers, but also at the inaction of the Somali authorities to protect them and to investigate these attacks seriously.

Marshale worked for London-based Universal TV, along with Abdulkadir Omar Abdulle, who was shot at in early July but was able to survive that attack just barely. Both men worked in media and commented on Islamist groups. The Committee to Protect Journalists has this to say about the state of media workers in Somalia:

Journalists working in Mogadishu continue to pay a terrible price for doing their jobs…Authorities can demonstrate that conditions are truly improving in the capital by apprehending the assailants who shot Abdulkadir Omar Abdulle.

Marshale was well-respected in the business and his funeral brought hundreds of fellow journalists, family members and dignitaries together during a time of particular strife, the Guardian reports. On Wednesday, two suicide bombers attempted to disrupt a national conference. One of the men was shot dead and the other detonated his bomb. The national meeting was still able vote in favor of a drafted constitution supported by the UN that same day. The decision heralds the most recent move in the direction of building a stable government.
R
eporters throughout the world have been facing increasingly deadly odds. Newspapers in Mexico have been attacked multiple times this summer, and journalists in Honduras and Russia have been found murdered or been attacked outside of their homes multiple times. Somalia joins the ranks of one of the more threatening places for journalists and critics to speak out.
And I thought Commie Canada was bad with their speech fines.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
One media worker has been killed each month since the beginning of this year in the country, and investigations are slow to take place, if ever.
Oh my Allah! They killed Kamaal!!!!

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Religion of peace... blah, blah, blah.

Can you really be funny if you're from Somalia?

And that name would have never worked on the club circuit any way.

Just sayin....

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Religion of peace... blah, blah, blah.

Can you really be funny if you're from Somalia?

And that name would have never worked on the club circuit any way.

Just sayin....
Stone my wife. Please.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Little Boy blew, he was riding an Israeli bus.
"Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet
And I bit her fuckin' clit off! Oh!"

If he stuck to material about women, Dice could do a successful soccer stadium tour of the Muslim world. (At least until they found out that he was a Jew.)

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
"wanna buy a shanty....door?"

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
"If you check your shoes for Palestinian baby guts more than twice a day, you might be an Israeli."

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
"A practicing homosexual marries his partner, lives happily for 60 more years, then dies peacefully in his sleep. His sister wears western clothing and becomes a doctor and a Christian while their brother becomes an atheist. The Aristocrats."

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Why did the monkey fall out of the tree? He was shot for being an apostate.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Please welcome, Melvin, the Dead Jew. Say hello to the people Melvin.
"I kill you."

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
So my daughter is a real asshole. She actually says to me, "daddy, I want to marry who I want." I'm still trying to figure out how to dispose of the body.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Q. What's the hardest part about a Muslim killing his own daughter?
A. Suppressing the erection.

Q: How can you tell if a Muslim girl is old enough to marry?
A: Make her stand in a barrel. If her chin is over the top, she's old enough. If it isn't, cut the barrel down until her chin is over the top.

A Muslim walks into his local mosque with a big grin on his face.

"What are you so happy about, Abdul?" Asks the Imam.

"Well, I'll tell you," replies Abdul. "I live by the railroad tracks and on my way home last night, I noticed a young woman tied to the rails, like in the American movies. I cut her free and took her back to my humble abode. Allah be praised - we made love all night, all around the tent. We did everything, me on top, sometimes her on top, every position permitted by Mohammed, Peace Be Upon Him!"

"By the most Merciful," exclaimed the Imam, "you have been blessed. Was she as beautiful as a desert flower?"

Abdul grimaced, "By the Jinn, I do not know - I never found her head."

Q: What's the difference between Dar al-islam and Dannon yogurt?
A: The yogurt has a living culture.

I cheated. http://plancksconstant.org/blog1/2008/09/more_offensive_muslim_jokes.html

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
"Beheadings. Why doncha try some a-headings er sumptin'"

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
"Two women walk into a school. We blow it up!"