Comic Book Recommendations

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I got Nightwing (Rebirth) #36, #38, and #39. I still have to get #37 before I read through any of them.

Last edited:

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Anything not marvel or DC that's worth reading?

First two issues of Ice Cream Man are good. Postal is just fucking terrible now.
Morning Glories? It ended last year I think.
Supercrooks? Another Mark Millar mini series, one of the properties Netlix bought up.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
A lot of us read Garth Ennis' superb take on The Punisher. IMO he nailed the character and none can surpass his take on Castle. His next big series was The Boys and a lot of us like that one too, where the author showed us how much he hated superheroes.

And now he's got Jimmy's Bastards. I'm not sure if this will be a long-running series or not, but imagine Ennis taking the piss out of James Bond. Imagine an arrogant bastards super spy slinging dick every which way around the world for a decade or more, not caring where his jizz landed; he loves them and leaves them. And now the results of a lifetime like that are catching up to Jimmy Regent.

I loved the first issue. There are 7 total that I know of, and one TPB out there. Amazon link

@Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I'm all in just based on Garth Ennis.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
I might check a couple of these out. Ennis has a new one coming called A Walk Through Hell

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
The 4th issue of Jimmy's Bastards had me rolling. The public goes insane and it features two muslim men. I can't go into it or spoilers. But I'm dying.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
Been following some of the New Age Of Heroes titles from DC.

Damage, Sideways, Curse Of Brimstone, The Terrific's, & The Immortal Men.

Digging them so far.

My favorites have been Sideways & The Terrific's.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
I didn't know this was a thing. I saw Metropolis ages ago, with the 80s soundtrack on it. I'm starting it now. There's also Nosferatu for Batman and Blue Amazon for Wonder Woman

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
I enjoyed Superman's Metropolis, especially the gritty 1920s style artwork. It's a good, decently quick read but not on any sorta top 10 or must-read lists.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Oh,...there are at least 5 parts to that. I don't care to post them all. You can easily track them down.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
So I kinda want to read the Doomsday Clock series because I'm a fanof what Geoff Johns has done with big event comics, notably his Green Lantern work and crossovers.

Since I don't keep up and never bothered with the comics that continued the Watchmen universe, I'm following the reading order found here:

https://www.comicbookherald.com/reading-dc-comics/dc-rebirth-reading-order/doomsday-clock/

I finished a 4 part mini series that starts this off, centered around the bloody button from Watchmen and the writing and art have been really solid, better than I've seen out of Marvel in a long time.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
So today i get on facebook and i see that IDW post this:

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
Dunno or remember too much about The MAXX, but Sam Kieth drawing Batman? Motherfucking IN.
He was a homeless man who lived in a box but dressed up like a superhero, he was constantly pulled back and forth between our reality and his imaginary world which he calls The Outback.

there was cartoon on MTV in the 90's that was a shot for shot word for word adaption of the comic.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
He was a homeless man who lived in a box but dressed up like a superhero, he was constantly pulled back and forth between our reality and his imaginary world which he calls The Outback.

there was cartoon on MTV in the 90's that was a shot for shot word for word adaption of the comic.

I remember the cartoon a bit.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
If it wasn't for fucking Geoff Johns....

So I decided to get into Doomsday Clock, the "crossover" between Watchmen and the DC universe. I found a reading list to help prep me for it:
https://www.comicbookherald.com/reading-dc-comics/dc-rebirth-reading-order/doomsday-clock/

The Superman stuff was ok
The Batman stuff was great. I was happy I read it.
The Justice League books were abysmal. There were decent plot points but the writing was absolute trash. So much so that I think the writer was handed an outline or a list of plot points and filled in the rest.

I haven't finished Doomsday Clock 1 yet but DAMN I love it. Geoff Johns and Gary Frank both are on point. Sadly, it's only on issue 5 of 12 and they went bi-monthly on it recently.

It makes sense.

I recommend the series. Don't know yet if the intro books were needed or not but like I said the Batman stoery A Lonely Place For Living, was good.

I'm also thinking of tackling Batman White Knight and Dark Knights: Metal, having heard good things about both.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
I wish I had read your second line before clicking that link. Jesus with all the problematic BS.
She-Ra - if you don't like it, don't watch it. Let the market decide.

But Thundercats Roar? Holy fuck is that abysmal artwork.

I stopped at the Simpsons because the author missed the simple fact that every character in that series is a caricature. THAT'S why this Apu business is bullshit.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
I wish I had read your second line before clicking that link. Jesus with all the problematic BS.
She-Ra - if you don't like it, don't watch it. Let the market decide.

But Thundercats Roar? Holy fuck is that abysmal artwork.

I stopped at the Simpsons because the author missed the simple fact that every character in that series is a caricature. THAT'S why this Apu business is bullshit.
The guy who did the Apu documentary got a Netflix special. That's what he was really doing, using a bullshit controversy to further his career. All he had to do is cry "That's racist!" and the liberal media would be scrambling to talk to him.

And even if he gets the simpsons to retire apu, there's like over 20 years of simpsons reruns that are aired all the time. Apu will never really go away.