OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Comic Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Comic Books, Anime & Manga' started by DrewDown, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Just finished Batman: Death of the Family. It definitely lived up to the hype.

Voodoo Ben likes this.
  2. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

Reading the original run of the Conan Series the 70'same (ish). Fucking great.

Joker1919 likes this.
  3. Lord Zero

I got Deadpool & Cable: Split Second. :cat:

4. Lord Zero

I forgot to mention that I also got Deadpool: Dead Presidents.

5. Lord Zero

I just finished reading all the way through Scott Snyder's Batman Vol. 5: Zero Year – Dark City. It is a fucking excellent Riddler story. Any doubts I had that Scott is my favorite Batman writer or that Gregg Capullo is my favorite Batman artist have been put to bed.

Neckbeard likes this.
  6. Voodoo Ben

Voodoo Ben You'd all be dead if it wasn't for my DAVID!

7. Saikotic

Saikotic Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
    Donator

Shops are getting pissed because DC is running with a $3.99 pricetag. I remember bitching about the $1.50 special issues. I couldn't afford $4 for 32 pages of virtue signalling SJW writing these days (which Marvel is finally taking a step back from)

8. Lord Zero

I'm still reading through the original Nightwing series and I had to punch out of Devin Grayson's "Casa Nostra" arc. I hated the way she wrote Huntress and specifically her and Nightwing's relationship and how it effects Nightwing's approach to his work. I can't say that I hate her writing generally (the actual case in the arc is well done) or even that I hate how she writes Huntress. I can't say either of those things because Devin also wrote "Fear of Faith" as part of No Man's Land, which was damn good. But when it comes to Nightwing and Huntress, she got everything all wrong. I would need to read more of her stuff before I could judge her writing generally.

9. Joker1919

Joker1919 Registered User

I'll have to check that out, Snyder won me over with black mirror and I've been a huge fan ever since.

Lord Zero likes this.
  10. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

Reading an ongoing one called 'Briggsland'. Kind of a pseudo-sopranos thing. Matriarch takes over a militia off-the-grid group of people. It's ok. Drips of 'girlpower' unfortunately. It's being made into a tv series.

Postal. Another pseudo-sopranos thing. Also being made into a tv series. A town that's off-the-grid in idaho (?) where the only inhabitants are criminals. The mayor (a mother. girl power) cares for her aspergers son that's really smart. Shenanigans ensue.

Both are worth the read.

Neckbeard likes this.
  11. Lord Zero

I bought Nightwing, Vol. 1: Better Than Batman (Rebirth) and Grayson, Vol. 5: Spyral's End. I also started Grayson, Vol. 1: Agents of Spyral. It's bizarre and funny to think that until Summer of last year, when I started getting really, really into comics (and when I started checking out Young Justice), I wouldn't have considered myself much of a Dick Grayson fan. That feels like forever ago.

Neckbeard likes this.
  12. Saikotic

Donator

It all depends on the writer. I never thought some of my favorite comics would be about Green Lantern and all the colored rings.

13. Lord Zero

For me, it's more that my only exposure to Dick Grayson was the 1960s and '70s Batman and Superfriends cartoons (which age horribly), Batman: The Animated Series, and the Joel Schumacher Batman films. In B:TAS, Dick wasn't a bad character, but with the exception of "Robin's Reckoning", he never really much of an impact on me; I never really liked his design or voice. Later on, he became Mulletwing, which is a really bad look. As for Batman Forever, I loved it when I was a kid, but Dick didn't make any (positive) impact on the story. I wasn't exposed to any other versions of Dick Grayson until I saw the art for Arkham City DLC.

Neckbeard likes this.
  14. Voodoo Ben

Anybody reading Black Hammer? It's great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neckbeard likes this.
  15. Pigdango

Pigdango This is a rebellion isn't it?
    Donator

I just finished Fear Itself in my complete run through of the Avengers' portion of the Marvel Universe. Hands down the best crossover story I've read. I think it gets a bad rap because it doesn't have any long range implications on things - Thor and Bucky "die" but are both shown to be alive by the end of the series. The most significant thing to come out of it is Bucky goes back to being Winter Soldier and Cap goes back to being Cap after almost 5 years.

But it's self-contained story was one of its best features. Also, Fraction did a phenomenal job incorporating the goings on in the side stories into the main story. The genius move was to create seven different adversaries and spread them out to make the story much more wide ranging, while at the same time allowing the tie in books to be far more focused.

Neckbeard likes this.
  16. Saikotic

Donator

That looks interesting.

17. Lord Zero

I ordered Nightwing, Vol. 3: Death of the Family.

Joker1919 likes this.
  18. Joker1919

Joker1919 Registered User

Holy shit that looks great from the covers alone. I've picked up a subscription to comixology unlimited and I recommend it to you guys that aren't really into marvel or D.C. Lots of image and dark horse stuff as well as others. Not complete runs but enough to get you introduced to series. I have read a bunch of books I wouldn't give a second glance at normally and enjoyed them.

Voodoo Ben likes this.
  19. Saikotic

Donator

Black Hammer is an excellent deconstruction of the golden age of hero comics with cool/obvious nods to both Marvel and DC.

Voodoo Ben and Joker1919 like this.
  20. Voodoo Ben

yeah it's been some of my favorite cover art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lord Zero likes this.
  21. Lord Zero

I picked up Nightwing Vol. 1: Traps and Trapezes and Titans Vol. 1: The Return of Wally West. And since I got Traps and Trapezes, son of a bitch, I have to get the final volume of the New 52 Nightwing series — Nightwing Vol. 5: Setting Son — since I now have all four of the previous volumes.

22. Lord Zero

Ordered it today.

23. Lord Zero

I pre-ordered Nightwing Vol. 2: Back to Blüdhaven (Rebirth) and Nightwing Vol. 6 (subtitle not yet determined, I guess), which will probably be the last collected volume I get of the original Chuck Dixon-penned solo series.

Joker1919 likes this.
  24. Lord Zero

Pre-ordered Nightwing Vol. 3: Nightwing Must Die (Rebirth). :)
    It won't be arriving until early October. :(

25. Lord Zero

I picked up Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol. 1: Dark Trinity (Rebirth) after work today.