Commander in Chief tries to make it harder for military to vote.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/03/o...emise-of-obama-campaign-military-voting-suit/

Ohio ‘concerned with the premise’ of Obama campaign military voting suit
Published: 11:30 PM 08/03/2012
By Holly Bensur

The Obama for America campaign, the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and the Ohio Democratic Party filed a lawsuit in late July to strike down part of an Ohio law concerning voting by members of the military, Breitbart.com reported on Thursday.

The law currently allows Ohio citizens to vote early in-person up until the Friday before the election, and gives members of the military three additional days to vote.

Democrats contest the law, saying that it is “arbitrary” and possesses “no discernible rational basis.”

The National Defense Committee says that the Department of Defense’s Federal Voting Assistance Program has reported to the president and Congress that the primary “reason for military voter disenfranchisement is inadequate time to successfully vote,” for each of the last three years.

“We are concerned with the premise of the lawsuit,” Maggie Osrowki, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Secretary of State told The Daily Caller. The Obama for America campaign and the DNC “disagree with the additional flexibility” the law gives to military members.

“There are plenty of opportunities for Ohioans to participate in the election,” Osrowki said. Military members are “in a different situation than all the other voters.”

On the other hand, Democraticunderground.com says ”it is extremely difficult or impossible for ordinary people to vote,” because most states require identification in order to vote.
This is absolutely disgusting, especially since the Obama campaign is actively participating. How the fuck can they say there is no rational basis for allowing members of the military THREE extra days to vote? Maybe they forgot about how fucking slow mail from Afghanistan or Iraq can be...

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Nice spin Josh. The DNC is suing to get the original law reinstated that gave additional voting time to ALL voters.

Contrary to what has been reported about this issue by a number of sources, however, the plaintiffs do not seek to "restrict military voting" in Ohio; they are asking the court to extend the early voting deadline for non-military voters to match that of military voters:

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Of course they want the polls open longer for non-military people. Makes cheating even easier.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
And Josh, since you're the Ohio expert on the board, care to comment on the current push for extended voting hours in Ohio? Apparently, they are granting extended hours in traditionally Republican counties and denying it in Democratic ones. Kos has a writeup of what's going on here. Tell me that isn't an attempt to disenfranchise?

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
And Josh, since you're the Ohio expert on the board, care to comment on the current push for extended voting hours in Ohio? Apparently, they are granting extended hours in traditionally Republican counties and denying it in Democratic ones. Kos has a writeup of what's going on here. Tell me that isn't an attempt to disenfranchise?
I really don't know anything about it. I am so focused on the campaign, I haven't had time to keep up on all the other issues.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Nice spin Josh. The DNC is suing to get the original law reinstated that gave additional voting time to ALL voters.
I read both articles, and I don't have time to go do their journalistic research for them. I imagine there was some reason that they didn't want everyone waiting until the day before the vote to go vote.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I read both articles, and I don't have time to go do their journalistic research for them. I imagine there was some reason that they didn't want everyone waiting until the day before the vote to go vote.
So instead of doing a tad of research, you immediately jump on the Fox News rhetoric that's being passed around. I would imagine someone hoping to get maximum exposure for their candidate would want fair voting access available equally to everybody, and not let either side try to game the rules to their advantage, D or R.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
On the other hand, Democraticunderground.com says ”it is extremely difficult or impossible for ordinary people to vote,” because most states require identification in order to vote.
OMG! This is so fucking infuriating. How does having to show your ID make it difficult or impossible to vote????

Oh thats right, It's hard to vote if you're illegal, dead, a family pet or in other words liberal votes since those people/animals don't have IDs.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
So instead of doing a tad of research, you immediately jump on the Fox News rhetoric that's being passed around. I would imagine someone hoping to get maximum exposure for their candidate would want fair voting access available equally to everybody, and not let either side try to game the rules to their advantage, D or R.
Let's be honest. You know exactly where in Ohio the most voter fraud is going to take place. It's going to be in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Youngstown. If each county has its own election board that is capable of preventing that fraud where it's going to happen, I don't see what the problem is. Unless, of course, you WANT the fraud to happen.

Honestly, I don't support multi-day polling for anyone except military. They're earned the right to have a few days extra. Anyone else can vote on election day or file an absentee ballot. If I were the Ohio Republican Party, I'd oppose the extension everywhere. It's obvious they're trying to maximize their turnout. Fine, do it another way. The democrats will just ship voters in from Cleveland to the other counties if the polls are open longer.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
OMG! This is so fucking infuriating. How does having to show your ID make it difficult or impossible to vote????

Oh thats right, It's hard to vote if you're illegal, dead, a family pet or in other words liberal votes since those people/animals don't have IDs.
I disagree, I'm a dead chihuahua and have voted republican.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Let's be honest. You know exactly where in Ohio the most voter fraud is going to take place. It's going to be in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Youngstown. If each county has its own election board that is capable of preventing that fraud where it's going to happen, I don't see what the problem is. Unless, of course, you WANT the fraud to happen.

Honestly, I don't support multi-day polling for anyone except military. They're earned the right to have a few days extra. Anyone else can vote on election day or file an absentee ballot. If I were the Ohio Republican Party, I'd oppose the extension everywhere. It's obvious they're trying to maximize their turnout. Fine, do it another way. The democrats will just ship voters in from Cleveland to the other counties if the polls are open longer.
Why would you object to allowing the same voting rules for everyone? If anything, that will give more people access to the polls rather than fight their way down during one 10 hour period on one day. Assuming you believe that the Democrats are going to defraud the process no matter what the rules are, why wouldn't you want to level the playing field by allowing more legitimate voters access to the polls?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Why would you object to allowing the same voting rules for everyone? If anything, that will give more people access to the polls rather than fight their way down during one 10 hour period on one day. Assuming you believe that the Democrats are going to defraud the process no matter what the rules are, why wouldn't you want to level the playing field by allowing more legitimate voters access to the polls?

The fact that Ohio is probably the easiest state in the country to vote in is very dangerous for Barry. If other states adopted the same voting laws that Ohio has Barry probably couldn't win a single electoral vote.

Here we can vote by mail any time like a month before the election.

Barry and the Democrats have to bribe people to get in a van which takes them to a fire station or some place where they have to cast their vote for the Democrat candidate, then they get some cheese and crackers and maybe a drink and a ride home.

If people vote by mail, then its a lot harder to bribe or coerce them into voting for the Democrat

Oh I was taught as a kid that you should never get into a vehicle with someone who is offering you candy

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
There's no reason to fight to get to the polls, at least in California, because everyone can vote absentee. The only time I go to the polls anymore is when I forget to mail my ballot and have to take it down in person. People have plenty of opportunity to vote... the exception being military personnel.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
There's no reason to fight to get to the polls, at least in California, because everyone can vote absentee. The only time I go to the polls anymore is when I forget to mail my ballot and have to take it down in person. People have plenty of opportunity to vote... the exception being military personnel.
Why can't they submit an absentee ballot?

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I read the article, and i read the source article from Biggovernment. What do you want from me?
Fair voting access? If it were up to me, I would make it more difficult to vote. Instead of a bunch of idiots showing up with no idea about any of the candidates, maybe only people who really care to educate themselves would vote. I am libertarian, anyone voting libertarian is already more educated than the average D or R anyway.

MTJonny

Donator
Apr 24, 2009
Greater Seattle area
After making a vehement point to make it to every poll since I have been old enough to vote, pretty happy with my decision to just stay home this round. I am firmly convinced that personal opinion, in reality, doesn't matter in the slightest. Most people just have to live with what the mob decides, you vote doesn't mean shit.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I read the article, and i read the source article from Biggovernment. What do you want from me?
Fair voting access? If it were up to me, I would make it more difficult to vote. Instead of a bunch of idiots showing up with no idea about any of the candidates, maybe only people who really care to educate themselves would vote. I am libertarian, anyone voting libertarian is already more educated than the average D or R anyway.
My point still stands. Whether it's easier or harder to vote, it should be FAIR across the board. None of this bias in the law to favor one group over another. THAT'S what the DNC is fighting for, not some fantasy world of prevention of soldier's votes. If it were up to them, both soldiers and non-soldiers would be given additional time to vote. That does not constitute "disagreeing with a soldier's right to vote" as you had highlighted in your original post.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
My point still stands. Whether it's easier or harder to vote, it should be FAIR across the board. None of this bias in the law to favor one group over another. THAT'S what the DNC is fighting for, not some fantasy world of prevention of soldier's votes. If it were up to them, both soldiers and non-soldiers would be given additional time to vote. That does not constitute "disagreeing with a soldier's right to vote" as you had highlighted in your original post.

I agree with you in that there should be one standard for everyone in the state, but the only reason Barry is doing this is because he believes this will be a close state, and he wants to do whatever he can to make it favor him and that includes making it more difficult for active duty members of the military who are deployed outside the US because he believes their votes will favor his opponent.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I agree with you in that there should be one standard for everyone in the state, but the only reason Barry is doing this is because he believes this will be a close state, and he wants to do whatever he can to make it favor him and that includes making it more difficult for active duty members of the military who are deployed outside the US because he believes their votes will favor his opponent.
How is he trying to make it harder for active duty members?