computer problems, Help please......

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ok you guys always came through in the past, and I need alittle help.

Friday night I left my computer on and when I woke up it was off. When I restarted it, a message came on saying that it was preforming a spyware boot scan. It also said to stop it hit any key. Tried to stop it but it wouldn't and proceed to scan until it froze. I had to restart it and that is when I now get a message that says

unmountable_boot_volume

Won't do anything. says to start it in safe mode but same message comes up.

I'm really dumb when it comes to computers so be gentle.

anything easy that I can do or should it just go to the computer guy down the strret.

I have a dell xps 600 with xp media center edition. about 21 months old.

Happened once before so I shut down all my spyware schedules and it did reboot after about 10 trys, but not this time.

Thanks guys.

Oh by the way, it can't boot dvd's only cd's and the xp disk is a dvd. (this is per my son) Tried using it anyway but nothing.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That is a very ominous error message. I run into it at work quite often and it usually means I'm gonna be spending some time reloading a drive from scratch.

Read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

We can safely assume it's not an issue of a cable or a BIOS setting, since none of that has been changed apparently. So, it's a file system problem. Evidently, the scan was at a critical point when the failure happened which caused the file system to become corrupted. Sometimes this happens if the computer goes into standby or hibernate mode while the scan is running in the background. My brother got hosed up like this a month ago but we were able to get it squared away.

If you can get your hands on a Windows XP CD-ROM, follow the instructions on that Microsoft help page. If not, there are other things to do. If you have access to another PC with a CD burner, I suggest downloading and using Hiren's Boot CD. Do a Google search for it. Create the CD and take it to the computer with the problem and try running some of the various recovery programs. Actually, try running Partition Magic first. It will find and fix many serious errors as soon as you run it. If that doesn't do it, try some of the programs listed in the recovery section of the CD.

The other possibility is that the hard drive just shit the bed. If it's a Maxtor, it's an even greater possibility.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
The XP disc should be a CD - Vista is a DVD, but not XP.

More likely, the hard drive is selected as the first boot device. Try hitting F12 to get a boot device menu and select the CD ROM.

The other suggestion is Spinrite - it costs money but has come through for me recently.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Dell's recovery disc could well be a DVD. They ship a customized recovery disc or disc set, not a stock Win XP CD. If the system shipped with a DVD drive (which I assume it did) then theres no reason Ive ever run into that it wouldnt boot from a DVD.

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. According to my son, who knows more than I do, at the boot, the dvd drive isn't readable(?), and only the floppy and the cd drive are and since the start up disc is a dvd, it won't read it.

I try some of your suggestions tonight. Thanks again.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
just smash the mother fucker and get a new one

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Does this PC have both a DVD drive and a CD drive (two separate drives)? If so, it sounds to me like the BIOS settings need to be changed to make the DVD drive appear in the boot order. It should be a simple fix. At that point you may be able to do a recovery install from the operating system restore DVD.

The XP disc should be a CD - Vista is a DVD, but not XP.

More likely, the hard drive is selected as the first boot device. Try hitting F12 to get a boot device menu and select the CD ROM.

The other suggestion is Spinrite - it costs money but has come through for me recently.
Spinrite is on the Boot CD I referenced in my previous post.

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
Does this PC have both a DVD drive and a CD drive (two separate drives)? If so, it sounds to me like the BIOS settings need to be changed to make the DVD drive appear in the boot order. It should be a simple fix. At that point you may be able to do a recovery install from the operating system restore DVD.

Spinrite is on the Boot CD I referenced in my previous post.
Yea, I think that's what my son did ( I have both) because the disk is in and I'm running the chkdsk. He did something before it booted up and changed something.

hope it works. He said it may take a few hours. Using my laptop now.
But I really appreciate all your help. Thought I lost alot of info. Went out and bought a terabite? external hard drive. everything gets backed up now.

Just want it to start.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
This fixes 95% of Unmountable_boot_volume
boot off your reinstallation CD for Windows MC, when it asks you what you want to do (after initial loading)

Press R for recovery
- choose windows installation
- enter password (enter if blank)

when you're at the command prompt, type:

chkdsk /r

Come back to the computer in an hour

then, type:

fixmbr, press enter

fixboot, press enter

type exit, restart computer.

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just an update,

Again thanks to all for your help. Got it running following the advice here but I'm ready to put a bullet through it. Now after it warms up my mouse won't click on anything and I can't use the keyboard. I can move the mouse all over the screen but thats it. Nothing else seems to work. Just have this arrow travelling all over my screen.

What I did notice is that once it rebooted, AVG found two trojans in the setup and quaratined them. Not sure if that caused the problems but someone recommended zoomfix to check it so I think I'll give them a shot.

Picklestyle

Jun 21, 2007
Alabama....ick
if chkdsk /r didnt work. Just put the hard drive into another computer and save your data, then reinstall the os.

The time and effort you will have to put into repairing windows is not worth it.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Go to BIOS and see if there is any settings that make the DVD drive bootable and set it for bootable if possible.

Go back to a restore point. (If anyone doesn't have one, make sure your computer automatically does it every week.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

If you can't reach the restore point,because your computer probably has an USB mouse and keyboard. You probably need to get a mouse/keyboard with ps/2 connectors
http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/spindin1.JPG
to re-install the drivers for the USB mouse/keyboard.

Go back to the restore point before you overwhelmed your computer with anti-viral/anti-spyware programs.

Get a (1)router or software firewall.

Get get(1) a better anti-viral program besides Norton. Uninstall AVG first.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Norton is a fine AV program. It has never let me down since I started using it back in like 1990. I just installed it on the kids' computers and it cleaned 4 trojans that AVG missed.