OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

[Question] Computer Randomly Restarts

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by blazin, Mar 14, 2013.

1. blazin

blazin Registered User

My own rig has recently begun randomly restarting itself, seems always when watching videos (youtube, facebook, etc)

the computer is NOT BSODing. I know this for sure. I disabled automatic restart on system failure and there is absolutely nothing logged other than the computer was shut off unexpectedly.

Quick specs:

i7-3770k (stock, not overclocked)
    Intel Z77BH55K board
    16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
    GeForce 550 Ti Board
    Samsung 830 SSD (primary OS)
    2 x 500GB Data Drives in RAID-1
    Antec 650W PSU

Im suspecting the power supply, just because it's the only component that is not new. It's from my last i7 build, but its about 4 years old. That's purely a guess, and I might just replace it and see what happens, unless somebody else has a better idea.

2. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Does it restart or just shut off instantaneously?

3. blazin

blazin Registered User

Restarts itself.

4. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Then I'm not sure... simply shutting off would be an overheating issue.

Did you run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, do a virus scan, etc?

5. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

Possibly memory errors, maybe GPU overheat?

6. gorram

gorram ;)

Have seen SSD drives do this, my shop pc will do it very rarely.

Do the obvious and pull all non essential parts (one dimm at a time, pull the raid hds) and since you think its video related can you pull the 550ti and run off of cpu graphics.

Also pull the reset harness just in case the button is sticky or the wiring is shorting.

7. rockpup

rockpup Sick Puppy

My laptop has been doing that recently. Most often when trying to highlight/copy email addy's in ie/gmail. You really think it might be ssd? I'm not shocked. Same shit brand ssd died in my desktop. Might be time for a crucial in the laptop.

8. gorram

gorram ;)

The SSDs that I am having issues with are OCZ Agitlity3, I will admit one of them seems to be better after firmware upgrade which of course you cant do with a boot drive, you will have to move it to another computer to flash it.

9. blazin

blazin Registered User

Ive reverted back to my "clean install" Acronis image. So any viruses/spyware can be ruled out.

Perhaps. I'll run memtest overnight.

I checked Samsung and I'm on the latest firmware for the 830 drive.

My motherboard doesnt have onboard graphics, but i do have a 8400GTS I can stick in. Problem is, the computer might restart every few days. I wish it was consistent. This is going to make troubleshooting a long, tedious process.

10. gorram

gorram ;)

I meant to ask you that in my first response, thats the shitty thing is if you dont have a way to MAKE it mess up. You could try running a program called prime95 as it will push your all cores of your CPU to 100% which should in turn push your motherboard and RAM to see if its a heat realated issue there. You will know real quick if you are not properly cooling your system with this running. If the motherboard has temp sensors it would be good to run monitoring apps to see what temp peaks at so you know the threshold of when it causes the restart.

Also try tapping on the case to see if you have anything loose and reseat your dimms as they can sometimes just be a tad loose causing intermittent problems.

11. blazin

blazin Registered User

Im going to try Prime95 now

Your tip with the bad connections is certainly valid. If the reset didnt happen only with videos, Id label that as a possibility as well.

12. rockpup

rockpup Sick Puppy

DING DING DING DING

Gee.. hrm, might have to try to update. Many thanks, this laptop issue has been bugging the shit out of me.

13. gorram

gorram ;)

I think its called torture test is what you run it has some variations in there you can test with. I know on my system I can see an immediate jump in temp on cpu when testing and then an immediate drop when you exit out of prime. Also note that you need to close that program from the system tray.

14. Capt.Hilarious

Capt.Hilarious Of all the names to choose...Capt.Hilarious?

As already suggested, it sounds like one of your memory sticks is bad. You said you were going to run memtest, any luck? Might have to run it with one stick in at a time.

Also, as simple as this sounds, you might want to try to replace your CMOS battery. Sometimes your mb will force a restart when that battery officially loses charge.

15. blazin

blazin Registered User

I didnt get a chance to run Memtest last night either, i'll do it this weekend

I did run Prime95 for about an hour and it didnt yield any errors

I was watching a youtube video today, the video started hesitating, and chopping up...I X'd out of the window and it was fine...but it felt like something was going to happen...

Im going to pull the tower out tonight and explore.

16. gorram

gorram ;)

Seems like your CPU and RAM would be ok if you couldnt crash the machine while running a test. Maybe you need a similar app to test your video card I see some results on google for "gpu stress test" but dont know of one to recommend.

Then if it seems to only happen with youtube maybe you have a broken browser, flash or plugin problem.

17. blazin

blazin Registered User

Finally got a BSOD, again while watching a video

0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with a reference to win32k.sys

so it looks like RAM or Video RAM

however, id imagine a power supply issue could also cause a hiccup in either type of RAM and produce the error.

I forgot to run Memtest last night, but for sure I'll run it tonight and let it do its thing for 8hrs