Conceal and carry question

Do you carry your weapons around?

• Total voters

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
I live in Texas, so I always wondered how many people were carrying. I know this is sissy Austin, but I'm sure lots of people still do. On the typical day, are you packing heat? Is there anything that annoys you about carrying (metal detectors, concealing, etc)?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I live in NY, behind enemy lines and refuse to summit an application for a concealed license on the grounds that the law is racist and unconstitutional.

Therefore, I own no pistols and just have a couple of rifles, which would be quite a burden to hump around. Not to forget a ESU (Emergency Service Unit, think SWAT) magnet.

What I use for everyday carry are various legal items that do not require photos, fingerprints, references, or interviews with neighbors to exercise my natural right to self defense.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
I'm not sure about NC. I keep a double barreled 12-gauge in my closet for home protection but that's it.

BusyChild04

I gotta return some video tapes.
Apr 28, 2005
Texas
There's a gun I have my eyes set on a beautiful looking when I turn 21.Thinking of getting a concealed weapon license but need more information on how to go about that.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
Being that I'm from Long Island NY, this is a little tricky. Couldn't think of how to properly respond to the poll....In a nutshell, it goes like this. I'm licensed by The State Of New York to carry a concealed weapon and I do....they have their "rules" and I have mine.

The long version is as follows.

NY BASICALLY issues 2 types of pistol licenses.

1. Have and carry concealed.

2. Have and possess (Say in your home or business).

That's it. There are 7 different variations of those two basic types depending on your "need".
..................................................................​
PISTOL LICENSES​

AS PER SECTION 400.00 SUBD. 2 OF THE NEW YORK STATE PENAL LAW
(​
a) PREMISE DWELLING – Have and possess in his dwelling by a householder.
(
b) PREMISE BUSINESS – Have and possess in his place of business by a merchant or storekeeper.
(
c) BANK OR EXPRESS MESSENGER – Have and carry concealed while so employed by a messenger
employed by a banking institution or express company.
(
d) JUSTICE OF THE SUPREME COURT 1ST OR 2ND JUDICIAL DEPT. OR JUDGE OF NYC CIVIL
OR CRIMINAL COURT –
Have and carry concealed by a justice of the supreme court
in the first or second judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York City civil court or the New York
City criminal court.
(
e) EMPLOYEE OF CORRECTIONS – Have and carry concealed while so employed by a regular employee of an institution of the state, or of any county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner of correction of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper of any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail or other institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime or held as witnesses in criminal cases, provided that application is made therefore by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head keeper.
(
f) PROPER CAUSE – Have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof.
(
g) ANTIQUE PISTOLS – Have, possess, collect and carry antique pistols which are defined in section 400.00 subd. 2(i)(ii)(1)(2).

.......................................................................................................

I was licensed under (F) Proper Cause.

Depending on what county in NY that you live in, the licensing authority "MAY" place "RESTRICTIONS" on your license. A "restriction" would go like this, "Yes, New York State has issued you a concealed carry license but, we here in Suffolk say that you are only authorized to carry concealed while on your way to or from a range." These restrictions are not law binding, they are administrative. That means that if I am caught carrying outside of these restrictions I could lose my license but won't be charged with a crime. Correction...shouldn't be charged with a crime.

d0uche_n0zzle is correct though, the NY laws are FUCKED and actually CRIMINAL. What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is not understood? ANY restriction is clearly an infringement. The whole proccess of licensing and registration is unconstitutional.

Now that I have explained all that I guess I'm more comfortable responding.

I carry more often than not (HK USP9c). I have a cheap, "High Noon" IWB that can't be beat. I carry appendix 1 o'clock which sucks for draw but conceals best for me....zero printing. I'd LOVE to carry OWB 3 - 3:30 but I print to much. I'm considering picking up a real nice K&D holster to try out during this fall/winter coupled with like a fleece vest or Cardthart for cover garment.

This is what I was looking at but in an OWB version.

http://www.kdholsters.com/index.html

I've heard nothing but good stuff about these guys. Semi custom and from what I understand, a growing waiting list. Everone raves about the quality you get at a REALLY decent price.

The other thing that bothers me about carrying anywhere other than 1 o'clock is people touching me, especially in crowds or when hugging someone. People will casually put their hand on your waist if they need to squeeze by you in a crowd or "pat" you there when saying hello...shit like that.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
WHOA....sorry about that post, didn't mean to scream like that.

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
Never leave home without it. Pa is an at will state so all you need to do is apply and unless you are a felon or have a Protection from abuse order, they will give you a concealed permit.

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
http://carryconcealed.net/legal/texas-ccw-state-laws.php

Didn't realize the fees were so high. Also any misdemeanor, for example a DWI, will prevent you from being able to get it for 5 years.
Thanks for that site. I don't mind the fee, it's the long process that kills me :arrrh:. Alot of red tape. I have never been arrested or anything so I know I will qualify but the process of getting the packet together would piss me off.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I'm not sure about NC. I keep a double barreled 12-gauge in my closet for home protection but that's it.

Legal to carry in the open, so long as youre not menacing people with it, and a concealed carry permit isnt hard to get at all. I have one, and carry everywhere I go. My Walther goes everywhere with me. Working on getting an H&K USP Tactical in .45 Auto.

Check out packing.org, too.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
Carry all the time. I have the permit.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Legal to carry in the open, so long as youre not menacing people with it, and a concealed carry permit isnt hard to get at all. I have one, and carry everywhere I go. My Walther goes everywhere with me. Working on getting an H&K USP Tactical in .45 Auto.

Check out packing.org, too.
If you like the HK USP, look into the Sig 226 or 239. You can usually find them a little cheaper and I actually prefer my 226 to the USP I sold.

I'm in Texas too, and I keep my 226 in a hidden compartment in my center console. In Texas, your car is considered an extension of your homestead, so there's no licensing required to keep a loaded weapon in your vehicle.

I've just been too lazy to get my CHL.

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
I'm in Texas too, and I keep my 226 in a hidden compartment in my center console. In Texas, your car is considered an extension of your homestead, so there's no licensing required to keep a loaded weapon in your vehicle.
NICE! I did not know that.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
I feel bad for you fuckers in NY.

$19 for 5 years and a smile at the camera. Open carry is de facto legal without a permit.

Fresca

Mar 27, 2005
Being that I'm from Long Island NY, this is a little tricky. Couldn't think of how to properly respond to the poll....In a nutshell, it goes like this. I'm licensed by The State Of New York to carry a concealed weapon and I do....they have their "rules" and I have mine.

The long version is as follows.

NY BASICALLY issues 2 types of pistol licenses.

1. Have and carry concealed.

2. Have and possess (Say in your home or business).

That's it. There are 7 different variations of those two basic types depending on your "need".
..................................................................​
PISTOL LICENSES​

AS PER SECTION 400.00 SUBD. 2 OF THE NEW YORK STATE PENAL LAW
(​
a) PREMISE DWELLING – Have and possess in his dwelling by a householder.
(
b) PREMISE BUSINESS – Have and possess in his place of business by a merchant or storekeeper.
(
c) BANK OR EXPRESS MESSENGER – Have and carry concealed while so employed by a messenger
employed by a banking institution or express company.
(
d) JUSTICE OF THE SUPREME COURT 1ST OR 2ND JUDICIAL DEPT. OR JUDGE OF NYC CIVIL
OR CRIMINAL COURT –
Have and carry concealed by a justice of the supreme court
in the first or second judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York City civil court or the New York
City criminal court.
(
e) EMPLOYEE OF CORRECTIONS – Have and carry concealed while so employed by a regular employee of an institution of the state, or of any county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner of correction of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper of any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail or other institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime or held as witnesses in criminal cases, provided that application is made therefore by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head keeper.
(
f) PROPER CAUSE – Have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof.
(
g) ANTIQUE PISTOLS – Have, possess, collect and carry antique pistols which are defined in section 400.00 subd. 2(i)(ii)(1)(2).

.......................................................................................................

I was licensed under (F) Proper Cause.

Depending on what county in NY that you live in, the licensing authority "MAY" place "RESTRICTIONS" on your license. A "restriction" would go like this, "Yes, New York State has issued you a concealed carry license but, we here in Suffolk say that you are only authorized to carry concealed while on your way to or from a range." These restrictions are not law binding, they are administrative. That means that if I am caught carrying outside of these restrictions I could lose my license but won't be charged with a crime. Correction...shouldn't be charged with a crime.

d0uche_n0zzle is correct though, the NY laws are FUCKED and actually CRIMINAL. What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is not understood? ANY restriction is clearly an infringement. The whole proccess of licensing and registration is unconstitutional.

Now that I have explained all that I guess I'm more comfortable responding.

I carry more often than not (HK USP9c). I have a cheap, "High Noon" IWB that can't be beat. I carry appendix 1 o'clock which sucks for draw but conceals best for me....zero printing. I'd LOVE to carry OWB 3 - 3:30 but I print to much. I'm considering picking up a real nice K&D holster to try out during this fall/winter coupled with like a fleece vest or Cardthart for cover garment.

This is what I was looking at but in an OWB version.

http://www.kdholsters.com/index.html

I've heard nothing but good stuff about these guys. Semi custom and from what I understand, a growing waiting list. Everone raves about the quality you get at a REALLY decent price.

The other thing that bothers me about carrying anywhere other than 1 o'clock is people touching me, especially in crowds or when hugging someone. People will casually put their hand on your waist if they need to squeeze by you in a crowd or "pat" you there when saying hello...shit like that.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your "proper cause."

I thought getting a license to carry in NY was a hopeless case... Can you carry within city limits or only upstate/Long Island?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Tumor - Im looking at the USP Tactical to later get a suppressor for it, and I really like the way the USP fits my hand. I like the integrated decocking lever in the safety, also. Did you have the Tactical or just the standard USP?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
If you don't mind me asking, what is your "proper cause."

I thought getting a license to carry in NY was a hopeless case... Can you carry within city limits or only upstate/Long Island?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
He's in Suffolk county, which is about forty miles from NYC. Most likely, a target license with access to a 24 hour range too. ;)

LBF

Banned
Jun 18, 2005
West Tennessee
I work on state property, so no guns allowed for me at work. I never go anywhere after I come home, so I don't carry when not at work.

It is legal here, and yes I would carry if I ever left this friggin recliner.

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
Pistols in every vehicle, heavy armament at home. In FL, legal to have a firearm in the vehicle if it's in a holster AND in a glove box, console, briefcase, etc. Doesn't have to be locked.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
What Im wanting for a home gun is an H&K UMP 45. Unfortunately, as far as I know, H&K only shipped dealer samples for the US, and only a small number of them. Hence, FFL Dealer license required and then finding one of the buggers. The FFL dealer that goes to the local gun show actually had TWO H&K MG36E's at his booth last show. Was pretty surprised at that. He also had a USP Tactical 45 with the LEM trigger set, and had the suppressor to fit it. I was really shocked at how well balanced that pistol was with a suppressor on it.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
What Im wanting for a home gun is an H&K UMP 45. Unfortunately, as far as I know, H&K only shipped dealer samples for the US, and only a small number of them. Hence, FFL Dealer license required and then finding one of the buggers. The FFL dealer that goes to the local gun show actually had TWO H&K MG36E's at his booth last show. Was pretty surprised at that. He also had a USP Tactical 45 with the LEM trigger set, and had the suppressor to fit it. I was really shocked at how well balanced that pistol was with a suppressor on it.
Yeah the only way you can buy a new automatic is as a "sample" that you can never sell to anyone other than another dealer, military or police. Also, if you ever forfeit your license then you have to get rid of the gun by transfering it to another dealer.

The gun laws are fucking ridiculous. I don't think automatics should be banned if police are allowed to own them. If cops have them then any citizen with a cleared background and reasonable licensing should be able to have them as well without question.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Here in the great state of Arkansas we have "shall issue" concealed carry licenses. That means that if you take your CHL course and have a clean record then the state will issue you a CHL without having to come up with some excuses for needing one.

It's not like in NY where you have to have some reason for carrying because of a job or anything.

We also don't have to inform anyone that we are carrying, including police, unless they ask. But if you're pulled over you just hand them both your drivers license and your CHL because we are required to keep your DL and CHL together at all times if you're carrying. I have only been asked to relinquish my firearm while pulled over one time. It was simply because the State Police officer asked if I had my gun with me and asked to hold onto it while he ran my tags. It wasn't a big deal.

Oh, and here cops treat you better when you've got things like a CHL. They are more respectful than with a lot of people and you very rarely get traffic tickets. I have been pulled over about four or five times in the last year and a half and I've not been given a ticket even though sometimes I had been driving 20mph over the limit.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
He's in Suffolk county, which is about forty miles from NYC. Most likely, a target license with access to a 24 hour range too. ;)
:action-sm Nail on head. Keep a range bag with targets and shit in the car and always be coming or going to a range.

"Proper Cause" is a "Sportsmans" license (target/hunting)

THE FOLLOWING WILL BE ACCEPTED AS PROPER CAUSE FOR A TYPE (f) LICENSE WITH THE ACCOMPANYING ENDORSEMENT REQUIREMENTS.

(1)SPORTSMAN – (Target and Hunting) – For the underlined purposes, firearms may only betransported between your residence and an authorized target shooting range, a legal hunting area in New
York State and while actually afield hunting. For the purpose of hunting, you are reminded that you mustalso possess a valid New York State hunting license. Handguns must be carried concealed except when
in the field hunting or on the target range for the purpose of target shooting. A sportsman license will be canceled if you relocate to another state. If you relocate outside the five western towns of Suffolk
County but continue to reside in New York State your records can be transferred to the appropriate officer at your new place of residence upon payment of the appropriate transfer fee. (Note) For the purpose of target shooting and hunting, the Police Commissioner has authorized licensees to meet for the purpose of car pooling and to stop for non-alcoholic refreshments on the way to and from their shooting destination. You are authorized to do this only during the period upon leaving your residence
and arriving at your shooting destination or during the return trip. You are not authorized to take your firearm to your workplace, a bar, a bar area in a diner, restaurant or any other location used exclusively
for alcoholic consumption. You are not authorized to conduct any other non-target shooting or hunting activity while in possession of your handgun. For the purpose of firearm training: a pistol license holder
who has a valid Hunter Safety Education Instructor Certificate issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and/or is a National Rifle Association of America certified instructor and
is instructing a firearm safety class, may possess for demonstration purposes, a licensed firearm. An instructor if carrying a licensed firearm must have in their possession while traveling to, during and from
the training class, documentation showing the type, location and time of the class scheduled and proof of their instructor certification.