Confine yourself to a 5 mile radius for $100million?

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
I found this topic very interesting today. For those of you who didn't hear Ron & Fez, this question was brought up. You are offered $100million dollars and a flag, you can plant that flag anywhere on the planet that you'd like, and can only move within a 5 mile radius of that flag for the rest of your life.

Do you take the offer? And if so, where are you planting the flag? I really thought about this all fucking day. For $100 million bucks, I'm taking the flag and planting it in southern Italy right on the coast (yes I know "surprise surprise"... there, I saved you all the trouble) and spending the rest of my life in a 5 mile radius of the flag.

So... $100million and a flag? You takin it?

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
Fucking hell yea.

And awful me brought up nassau in the listening thread... I have to second that one. Lot of great restaurants/bars in the bahamas, plus tourists so a constant supply of new people and BITCHES. Plus gambling is legal.

Plus you got warm weather and beaches

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
I thought about New York, but Ron was right: 1. Prices get to you in New York City, and 2. You can't get to the beach. Need beach.

Then I thought about Long Island. I have the beach... but 5 miles? On LI, that means dick.

I thought about to Tahiti, like Earl said. That's a little too secluded.

So then I thought about a place I know and love: On the coast of southern Italy there is a town called Tropea. It is one of the nicest places I've seen in my life. Here, I can get a good piece of land for cheap. I can build a nice size home. The weather is perfect. You get all 4 seasons, the winter is not brutal at all (no snow... I hate it anyway), and the summer is beyond perfect. The cost of living is not high whatsoever, and I'm right on the coast. The city is populated enough with lots of tourists in the summer. Food is not an issue. Would I miss my family and friends? No. I'd have more than enough money left over to bring them over any time I wanted. And in a place like that, I don't think anyone would object to coming and visiting.

I also hate discussions like this because then I realize it's never happening....

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
I believe you also get a year to travel anywhere in the world to find your best location.

I'd do it. No problem.
It'd be pretty hard to run out of money, just the simple bank interest is five million a year. That's 13,700 or so a day without touching the 100 mil.

N

NYRomy

Fucking hell yea.

And awful me brought up nassau in the listening thread... I have to second that one. Lot of great restaurants/bars in the bahamas, plus tourists so a constant supply of new people and BITCHES. Plus gambling is legal.

Plus you got warm weather and beaches
I missed the show today but were there any stipulations as to where you could NOT plant the flag? If not, the obvious answer is to plant the flag on your vehicle. You could travel the world, regardless, by just shipping your vehicle along with you.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
That water probably gets REAL greasy after all the guys jump in huh??

:)

You should see some of the "natives" in the bahamas... Im sure 100million makes you fucking king over there.

The minute you get outside the hotel vicinity there really isnt much money. Bahamas are still nothing compared to dominican republic.... I went into "town" to score weed when I was 15 there, this fuckign schwoog took us into beirut!!! no joke it was worse then fucking compton at night... buildings were all decrepit and there was no streets just dirt roads.

Im lucky I didnt get ***** and killed... boy i have done some dumb shit for weed

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
May 2, 2005
Lexington, KY
I've got a lot of family in the Netherlands, so Amsterdam would be fun but the weather blows 80% of the time. I'd probably pick somewhere warm, close to an ocean, maybe Miami or San Diego. I've also had some great times in Northern Michigan, near Harbor Springs and Petoskey on Lake Michigan. It's a nice summer tourist area on the lake, and some nice snow in the winter for skiing and snowmobiling. I'm surprised ESD didn't make a case for Spring Lake, NJ. One of my favorite Bennington lines ever was something like, "I've never fucking heard of Spring Lake before I met you Dave."

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
I missed the show today but were there any stipulations as to where you could NOT plant the flag? If not, the obvious answer is to plant the flag on your vehicle. You could travel the world, regardless, by just shipping your vehicle along with you.
That was addressed. No tricks of that nature, flag just identifies specific lat/lon coordinate.

Frankie_Ballz

wear no bag, spread the hiv
Jul 24, 2005
Yeah, just send me to hawaii, beautiful, good food, weather, that paka lolo. I would be all for it.

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
May 2, 2005
Lexington, KY
Andy Dufresne: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
Red: No.
Andy Dufresne: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.

Zihuatanejo

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
The minute you get outside the hotel vicinity there really isnt much money. Bahamas are still nothing compared to dominican republic.... I went into "town" to score weed when I was 15 there, this fuckign schwoog took us into beirut!!! no joke it was worse then fucking compton at night... buildings were all decrepit and there was no streets just dirt roads.

Im lucky I didnt get ***** and killed... boy i have done some dumb shit for weed
Holy fuck dude. Lucky isn't the word. :icon_eek:
Andy Dufresne: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
Red: No.
Andy Dufresne: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.

Zihuatanejo
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6439/mapmexdv8.jpg
Great reference! :clap:

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
Holy fuck dude. Lucky isn't the word. :icon_eek:

Great reference! :clap:

hahaha that wasnt even the worst one.

Me and AF went to aruba a few years back with my family and my buddy sean bought his own ticket and met us there.
After 2 days of drinking me and af were fiending for weed so I walked around the beach looking for some schwoogs that might be able to help me.

So I'm just walking up to black dudes saying "you got herb" not even thinking "you know I could get arrested in a foriegn country"
I find this guy who says yea, so I run back to my stuff and grab 40 bux and go back to him. He says he got a joint already rolled and offered to smoke me up so I can sample, me being a pothead go SURE.

We get into his car (mind you I didnt even think we were going anywhere so Ididnt tell AF or my friend where I was going or how long I would be)... now its me with no shoes, shirt, or fucking wallet, this drug dealer and two of his friends. We LEAVE the hotel "compound" and immediatly I am like "ooohhhhhh fuck" and I'm remembering every fucking crime movie where the person who gets kidnapped tries to remember landmarks and where they turned left and so on so if I have to jump out of a moving vehicle I can run back... that lasted maybe 3 minutes cause I was SUPER high :haha7:

We make a few stops, one being this guys house :icon_eek: and all I can think of is this fucker is gonna come out with a gun and try to roll me, except I got nothing on me except 40 bucks so that kinda might make him mad.... we then drop off one of his friends who after he gets out of the car the drug dealer looks at me and goes "I hate that fuckin guy, he's a fucking crack head" GREAT

Now it's off to his drug dealers house so he can pick up, we mustve been gone for like 50 minutes at this point and I have no fucking clue where I am. Again I am picturing a shootout and all of a sudden I am gonna be involved in some hairy shit. I am fucking petrified and high out of my mind at this point... the guy comes out, gets in the car turns to me and hands me a shit load (for 40 dollars) of really awesome looking smelling weed. He then drives me back to my hotel and gives me his cell phone number.

I get back to the beach after being gone close to 2 hours and AF is furious with me cause she thought I was fucking dead and my friend sean is ready to punch my teeth out... oh yeah and my dad was there with them for like an hour wondering where I was :haha7::haha7::haha7:

I even fucking called this guy a few days later for more... the weed was that good... lesson is if you are going to go somewhere with strangers in a foriegn country dont bring your money but an ID might be good for the authorities to identify your fucking corpse... oh yea, WEAR FUCKING SHOES

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
And awful me brought up nassau in the listening thread...
Except he meant Nassau Long Island. The Listening Thread pretty much narrowed down the two best places to the NY area and Pennsylvania.

I did think about it and I don't know. My first thought definitely was "not America." If I had to plant the flag, I really could not imagine doing it on American soil. Europe seems like a nice place to live but would I be able to get such a large house there? And the "private island" idea seems cool but proabbly not for $100 million. So really, I don't know. I'm not much of a beach person.

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration. For starters, food. I don't know if I'd be able to be an expert gardener or graze cattle so I'd need to be in a place where I would be able to go food shopping and peapod.com sucks. And sometimes its nice to get take out. Yet to do that, I'd need to be in a place "with" people yet if I were to build a giant house, it would be better to do it in isolation.

I also want to be a place where it would be possible to get pot and other drugs.

It's a tough choice.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
Except he meant Nassau Long Island.
I couldve sworn he mention something about gambling...

any way bahamas has most of your factors covered, good restaurants and close enough to get stuff shipped in for your private cook to prepare.

It also is a good mix between isolation and having other people around due to the tourism. Plus beaches, ocean gambling, great weather and DRUGS

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Probably, I was just making a joke based on how many people picked shitty answers like Pennsylvania.

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006

any way bahamas has most of your factors covered, good restaurants and close enough to get stuff shipped in for your private cook to prepare.

It also is a good mix between isolation and having other people around due to the tourism. Plus beaches, ocean gambling, great weather and DRUGS
I'd go Aruba, everything mentioned above plus no hurricanes.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Fuck yes I'd do it. I wouldn't even give a shit where my flag was planted as long as I had highspeed internet and cable. I'd buy everything off the internet, attempt to meet ladies within the 5 mile radius. If not, I can set aside 50 million for about 50 more years and buy hookers. That come out to about $2,739 a day in the hooker fund. I can get a top of the line whore for that amount of money.

Then I'd have the other $50 Million for whatever.

If I picked though, I might go with Manhattan. 5 miles of NYC aint bad, I can get a lot of things within that area.

Jan 2, 2007
Flushing, NY
Manhattan definitely works, and as far as going to the beach, your only about 3 miles from Breezy Point in the Rockaways, which is a pretty nice beach for being close to the city. NYC works just because there isn't anything you can't get in NY. Sure prices can be expensive, but 100 million dollars? Unless you're an idiot and buy some 40,000,000 penthouse with a 100,000 a month maintainence charge, you can live in Manhattan for the rest of your life without a problem. Not even that, you gotta consider how much cash you're making in interest on 100 million dollars. The interest alone is enough to live on.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I'd plant the flag about 1.5 miles north of Bozeman, MT. That way I could still visit the town, and easily have access to mountains. Hudson, enjoy every minute Montana offers you. Fuck I miss that place.

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
I'd drop my flag on Star Island in Miami...That should cover me for most of South Beach, all the Cruise Ships when docked at port as well as Downtown Miami and the intercoastal...Enough to keep me busy

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I'd drop my flag on Star Island in Miami...That should cover me for most of South Beach, all the Cruise Ships when docked at port as well as Downtown Miami and the intercoastal...Enough to keep me busy
Good choice. I never thought about that one.
I'd choose Key West myself.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Vegas, assuming I could find a spot that's within 5 miles of the strip in one direction and a golf course in the other. Think that's possible so that's my spot.