Conn woman prepares to walk across Africa, fun to follow

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I'll say ***** on Day 2, kidnapped on Day 5, ***** on Day 5 and 7, and 7 again, and murdered on Day 10. All cultures are the same.

By PAT EATON-ROBB

The Associated Press

MANCHESTER, Conn. — Amy Russell isn't expecting her walk across Connecticut to pose much of challenge.

Amy Russell poses for a photograph in Manchester, Conn., Thursday, July 14, 2011. In January, Russell will embark on a 7,000-mile, two-year trek across Africa in an effort to raise money to help provide clean drinking water for people in underdeveloped countries. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
More Nation & World stories »

She's just going 140 miles, starting Saturday in Granby and finishing next Friday in Greenwich.

That is child's play compared to the 7,000-mile, two-year trek across Africa she starts in January in an effort to raise money to help provide clean drinking water for people in underdeveloped countries.

"It's a good little warm up for me," she said. "We're going on a 500-mile walk in August in California. So, hopefully this can help me get into shape and maybe raise a little awareness along the way."

Russell, who grew up in Manchester, is the founder of Walk4Water, an organization that began as a nagging idea three years ago while she was in college in Chicago and working on poverty issues.

She says she began thinking about walking across Africa after she learned that a billion people around the world, mostly women and children, walk miles each day just to fill containers with brackish water.

"It was this crazy idea that just wouldn't go away," she said. "There was a cultivation process of the idea and how to implement it to help people."

Russell hopes to average about 20 miles per day, six days a week while in Africa. That's about the pace she's hoping to keep up in Connecticut this week, though she expects the accommodations to be a bit better here.

"I already know where I'm staying for three nights, and I have a whole group of friends who are willing to come pick me up from wherever," she said. "So we'll just see what happens."

In Africa, her group will carry what it needs in backpacks, camping along the way or staying with people who have already agreed to help them during their trek. Russell said each walker expects to go through 14 pairs of shoes.

They will start in January in Cape Town, South Africa, and travel through Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Egypt, webcasting their journey at www.walking4water.org. They hope to raise $8 million for wells, filtration systems and for other water-related projects in underdeveloped countries.

They also will be doing volunteer work with organizations already in Africa, learning about their work and meeting the people they help.

"We want to see first-hand what a community looks like that has no access to clean water," she said. "And hopefully go through communities that have had water projects, like a well, done for them and see how life has changed for them."

Russell is expecting to face some dangers along the way, but said they are preparing for those and have mapped out what they hope will be the safest route possible. The group also will have nurse with them and a support vehicle that can pick them up in an emergency.

"If we can avoid the really high conflict areas and stick with the local people, I think we'll 90 percent of the time be OK," she said. "But to say what the political climate in Sudan or Egypt is going to be two years from now is pretty hard to predict."

A fundraising picnic "Water Rocks" is planned Sunday in Manchester, with five local bands providing music. Russell also plans to travel through Hartford, Waterbury, New Haven, Milford and Bridgeport, with different groups joining her for segments of the trip.

"This crisis is a solvable crisis," she said. "We're just trying to set an example and put our lives out there and say, 'Look, we're doing this for this cause.' People say it's impossible. But we're trying to show that just normal, everyday people can do things that can change the lives of people around the world."
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/conn-woman-prepares-to-1017487.html

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
"If we can avoid the really high conflict areas and stick with the local people,"

Yeah...good luck with that.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
I think we'll 90 percent of the time be OK," she said.
She's already counting on a one in ten chance of negro penis.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Seeing that she went to school in Chicago, she probably loves the black cock.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Hopefully she gets eaten by a lion or by a local tribe. My money is her smuggling blood diamonds in her snatch.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
She's gonna have a mile of blood sausage in her by day 2.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
I hope she gets malaria

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
So will it be r@pey r@pe or r@pity r@pe r@pe?

afternoonquil

Apology Ostrich
Apr 2, 2011
I wrote to my congressman and demanded that we move all nuclear testing to africa, I have yet to hear a response.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
So will it be r@pey r@pe or r@pity r@pe r@pe?
It'll be r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe r@pey r@pity r@pe r@pe r@pe... :icon_eek:

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I hope she gets malaria
If she is lucky...

The following are disease risks that might affect travelers; this is not a complete list of diseases that can be present. Environmental conditions may also change, and up to date information about risk by regions within a country may also not always be available.

Dengue, filariasis, leishmaniasis, and onchocerciasis (river blindness) are other diseases carried by insects that also occur in Central Africa. African trypanosomiasis (African sleeping sickness) has increased in Africa (it is epidemic in Angola, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and the Sudan; and highly endemic in Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Mozambique, Uganda, and Tanzania; low levels are found in most of the other countries), and an increase in travelers has been noted since 2000. Most had exposures in Tanzania and Kenya, reflecting common tourist routes. Protecting yourself against insect bites will help to prevent these diseases.

Plague occurs sporadically or in outbreaks. Outbreaks have occurred since 2000 in Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Uganda, and Tanzania. Ituri Distric (Oriental Province) in the Democratic Republic of the Congo reports about 1,000 caes per year and was the site of an outbreak in 2006.

Schistosomiasis, a parasitic infection, can be contracted in fresh water in this region. Do not swim in fresh water (except in well-chlorinated swimming pools) in these countries.

Polio outbreaks were reported in several previously polio-free countries in Central, Eastern, and Western Africa beginning in 2003. Polio is still endemic in Nigeria.

Travelers should be aware of the serious health risks associated with visiting caves in certain areas of Africa. These risks include infectious diseases spread by bats, such as Marburg hemorrhagic fever, rabies, and histoplasmosis. CDC advises people not to enter any caves or mines where bats may live.

Highly pathogenic avian influenza (H5N1) has been found in poultry populations in several countries in Africa. Avoid all direct contact with birds, including domestic poultry (such as chickens and ducks) and wild birds, and avoid places such as poultry farms and bird markets where live birds are raised or kept. For a current list of countries reporting outbreaks of H5N1 among poultry and/or wild birds, view updates from the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE)External Web Site Icon, and for total numbers of confirmed human cases of H5N1 virus by country see the World Health Organization (WHO) Avian Influenza websiteExternal Web Site Icon.

Other risks to travelers to Central, East, and West African countries include typhoid (a large outbreak occurred in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2004-2005) and paratyphoid fever, amebiasis, and brucellosis.

Many countries in this region have high incidence rates of tuberculosis and high HIV prevalence rates.
Link

WTF... Polio...