Constantly being logged out?

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Many people (including myself) have been having problems where you open the board up, then click on a link or a sub-forum, or thread, etc., and you are logged out.

I found that on my system, it was happening because I had the old vBulletin cookies mixed in with the new XenForo cookies. They are both technically valid cookies for wackbag.com, but obviously are for the different sets of software.

What I did was just deleted my Wackbag cookies. That seemed to do the trick for me.

In chrome, to delete specific cookies copy/paste this in the browser:
chrome://chrome/settings/cookies

and then enter: wackabag into the search and then 'X' out all of the wackbag cookies.

In FireFox, goto Preferences > Privacy > click: 'remove individual cookies'
Then, search for 'wackbag' and delete any that turn up.

In Safari, goto Preferences > Privacy > under the 'cookies and other website data' section, click on 'Details'
Then, search for 'wackbag' and delete any that turn up.

In IE, Opera, 'Other'
Perhaps someone else can post how to do this as I don't use those browsers.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I have my login info saved and a bookmark for Spy but whenever I scroll up and click the wackbag logo to open it in a new tab I get logged off. Never happens opening other links in new tabs. Havent seen others having a logoff problem that oddly specific, they just get the boot for any new tabs/opened threads.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
I have my login info saved and a bookmark for Spy but whenever I scroll up and click the wackbag logo to open it in a new tab I get logged off. Never happens opening other links in new tabs. Havent seen others having a logoff problem that oddly specific, they just get the boot for any new tabs/opened threads.
Is your bookmark saved differently than when you log in normally? e.g.: www.wackbag.com vs wackbag.com vs https://www.wackbag.com vs https://wackbag.com

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Bookmark is to the https version of Spy. I tried to recreate the problem because I saw that the banner link was to http version and I clicked it and of course didnt get logged off. Go figure.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
I've deleted all my wackbag cookies in FireFox.
When I navigate from a forum to "home" is when I get booted, mostly.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
I've deleted all my wackbag cookies in FireFox.
When I navigate from a forum to "home" is when I get booted, mostly.
I'm not sure why you're having that happen. I can't reproduce it on my end...

Bluestreak

Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Just navigated from "Board Information" to "Home" with the nav buttons on the bottom of the page, and got logged out.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
hitting home logs me out even when I check the "Remember Me" button.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
That still happens to me too. I think zag knows about this glitch.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
I can't seem to replicate the problem across any browser.... :confused:

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
I get knocked off as well but not every time. Let me check something......

I just closed down Firefox and started up Chrome and was signed on in there....(I was logged out of WB from a previous session). Logged in and closed the browser down. Pulled Firefox up again and was still logged in. Sooooo, I got nothin.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Just had this happen:

I typed in www.wackbag.com, rather than clicking on my usual link for wackbag.com. The page opened with me logged out, which is odd. Out of curiosity, I typed in wackbag.com to see what would happen. Page opened and I was logged in. Strange magic.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Just had this happen:

I typed in www.wackbag.com, rather than clicking on my usual link for wackbag.com. The page opened with me logged out, which is odd. Out of curiosity, I typed in wackbag.com to see what would happen. Page opened and I was logged in. Strange magic.
Technically speaking, www.wackbag.com and wackbag.com are two different sites. The old software would set the login cookie to be more general, so either one of those worked the same. This software is a bit more strict (and secure), so it sets more specific cookies.

Bluestreak

Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Is the site supposed to default to Https? If so, the "Home" button in the nav bar should reflect that.

Bluestreak

Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Interesting. Whenever I force the http:// site, my browser defaults to https://

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
In Opera, you don't need to search for the wackbag cookies. You just right click and "Edit site preferences".

How come it's that easy, you ask? Because Opera is better than other browsers.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
It started logging me out a few days ago for some reason. I will be on the new posts page and click View New Messages and about every 3rd time the page loads up with me logged off. Or I start reading a thread in a new tab and click the next page, and it loads up with me logged off. Sometimes I write a thought provoking post and hit submit and it says I must be logged in to do that. I tried tossing my cookies like the first post said. No difference.

I'm using up to date Firefox.