OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Cooking lunch for the week

Discussion in 'Wackbag's Mean Cusine' started by MTJonny, Dec 27, 2011.

1. MTJonny

MTJonny Well-Known Member
    Donator

So for that last six months I have been making my own lunch for the week. My normal fare consists of cooking a turkey breast, roast beef, or ham for lunch meat, chicken or beef noodle soup, or a soy-ginger chicken stir-fry. Started eating like this because I needed a cheap way to eat lunch but now its turned into a healthy thing more then price. Now all my recipes are starting to get a little bland and I am looking for new cheap ($10-$20 for 4-5 meals) and healthy (Not obsessively strict at all, just not the shit people normally eat) ideas for lunch. I poke around on the internet for new recipes all the time but the majority of the shit I try is very mediocre. I was going to ask for new stir-fry ideas but figured I would broaden it to anything you guys have in your repertoire. Thanks in advance!

2. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

Crockpot a beef or chicken or whatever stew on Sunday. Use low sodium broth, since that's the only really unhealthy thing. Sort it out into those reusable plastic microwavable containers. $10-$15 should get you an easy week of delicious hot filling grub. Throw some different seasonings in each container if the thought of the exact same shit five times a week isn't appealing.

3. Jacuzzi Billy

Jacuzzi Billy Watching PTI
    Donator

Sounds good. Should I freeze a few of them since chicken or beef doesn't last a full week?

4. Hog's Big Ben

Donator

That's not a bad idea, but I don't know how well the cooked veggies would handle a freeze and a thaw. I know I've made so much that it lasted well over a week and it didn't taste any different or cause me any intestinal turmoil. But don't blame me if you wind up with runny shits on the beach.

5. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

Haha.

6. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

If I don't want salad, which is what I have every day, I make some goulash.

Take 2 lbs of hamburger and brown it with steak seasoning, drain and set aside when done. Boil some water and cook 1 lb of the pasta of your choice (I generally use penne) until it's almost done. Drain the water off and shake dry. Add the two together along with a drained can of green beans, sweet corn, stewed tomatoes. Add beef or chicken stock/broth until at the desired amount of liquid. If you are cheap, skip the stock/broth and just use the water in the cans of vegetables. Bring it back to a boil and cook until the pasta is finished. Salt and pepper to taste.

Hint: It's much better the next day, so I just go ahead and portion it out into containers and refrigerate a couple days worth. I also freeze a couple days worth as well. I then eat what's not portioned out as dinner that night.

7. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

I'm a big fan of goulash too, although my recipe is different from yours.

8. MTJonny

Donator

Haven't thought of a stew, I usually crock-pot my soups and wouldn't need much in the way of new spices. Never made a stew before though but I have a 100% record of goodness on anything that comes out of a crock-pot.

9. Hog's Big Ben

Donator

Fucking fuck that sounds good. The pasta doesn't continue soaking up the broth in the fridge? I've never had luck mixing noodles or whatever early on because they wind up twice the normal size and weird textured and all the juice is gone from what used to be a nice moist meal.

10. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

CougarHunter speaks the truth, Goulash is always better the next day.

Green peppers make the goulash for me, so I would go with those over green beans. I also add in some turkey bacon.

11. MTJonny

Donator

No-Yolk egg noodles are the shit for anything you wanted to taste normal for more then a couple hours.

12. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Green beans make me wanna die. Fuck them right in the ass...or just don't put them in the dish.

Replacement with green peppers seems prudent.

13. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

Well, that's never happened to me. I don't think that the noodles can absorb much more than they already have once you have them to the stopping point of cooking. In any case, I have never kept a batch in the refrigerator past the 3 day mark because I generally eat it all by then. That which I froze has pretty good quality up to a couple months afterwards. I generally keep a couple containers of goulash, ham & beans, or other leftovers in the freezer in case I forget to pick up my salad on the way home or just need a break.