CoolSculpting: Freeze the fat off.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Want to shift those post-holiday pounds? Chill out! Soaring demand for treatment that FREEZES off your festive fat

• CoolSculpting treatment is non-invasive and promises to remove 20 to 25per cent of fat in targeted areas such as the stomach or thighs
By Tamara Abraham
PUBLISHED: 11:53 EST, 27 December 2012 | UPDATED: 13:33 EST, 27 December 2012

NSFWish
Freezing off festive flab: CoolSculpting promises to remove 20 to 25per cent of fat in targeted areas such as the stomach or thighs

A treatment that promises to 'freeze off' your fat has been proving a popular solution to shifting those post-holiday pounds.

Thousands in the U.S. are turning to CoolSculpting, otherwise known as cryolipolysis, which costs upwards of $750 per session and promises to remove 20 to 25per cent of fat in targeted areas such as the stomach or thighs.

New York City-based dermatologist Dr Michele Green says she has noticed a surge in demand for the non-invasive procedure at this time of year.

She told MailOnline: 'CoolScuplting is an easy in-office procedure and freeze away that bulge in their stomach or love handles.

'It is especially popular after the holidays when we have all eaten too much.'

The CoolSculpting device features a gel patch that clamps on to the targeted area and freezes fat cells beneath the skin.

The sub-zero temperatures cause the fat cells to die. They are then flushed away by the body over the next few months.

The treatment, which takes anything from one to several hours, is apparently relatively painless, and patients often work or watch movies throughout.

According to theDaily Telegraph, it is proving particularly popular with men, who typically shy away from surgical options such as liposuction.

Results: Photos show one patient pictured before the procedure on her stomach area (left) and 60 days after one CoolSculpting treatment (right)
HOW DOES COOLSCULPTING WORK?

CoolSculpting, which has enjoyed huge popularity since it was approved by the FDA in 2010, was designed by scientists at Zeltiq in California.

The device features a gel patch that clamps on to the targeted area and freezes fat cells beneath the skin.

The sub-zero temperatures cause the fat cells to die. They are then flushed away by the body over the next few months.

The treatment, which takes anything from one to several hours, is relatively painless.

The skin and muscle tissue is unaffected by the procedure because fat freezes at a higher temperature than other cells.

Mitchell Levinson, Zeltiq’s founder, said trial patients had been monitored for three years without the fat returning.

A single treatment is usually enough for each love handle. A larger beer belly or a set of flaps of fat under the arms may need two treatments.

Zeltiq says it is for those in need of a little fat removal and is not suitable for the obese.

At Marina Plastic Surgery, which has clinics in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, men make up 45per cent of the CoolSculpting patients. With other procedures, just 13 per cent of patients are male.

Plastic surgeon Dr Grant Stevens told the paper: 'The men have their love handles treated.

The other place is the tummy, and they also have their man boobs done.

'Women go for love handles, muffin tops, the thighs and arms.'

Those hoping to dodge the gym, however, will be disappointed to learn that CoolSculpting should not be considered an alternative.

While the fat-loss in the targeted area is permanent, it won't prevent build-up in other areas.

'If you eat a lot you'll gain weight in other places, so you need to keep going to the gym and watching your diet,' Dr Stevens warns.

The procedure will not replace proper diet and exercise, Dr Green added.

'The ideal candidate is someone in good shape who simply has a bulge that they cannot reduce either through diet or exercise but they are physically fit,' she said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2253774/Want-shift-post-holiday-pounds-Chill-Soaring-demand-treatment-FREEZES-festive-fat.html#ixzz2GOj3KTkM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ing-demand-treatment-FREEZES-festive-fat.html

Vid at the link.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
I call bullshit.
Word. How is it cold enough to freeze FAT which protects against cold in most mammals yet the skin (the medium of that heat transfer which) itself doesn't die?

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Word. How is it cold enough to freeze FAT which protects against cold in most mammals yet the skin (the medium of that heat transfer which) itself doesn't die?
Fat freezes at a higher temperature than other soft tissues. I think they brought it up in the article.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Fat freezes at a higher temperature than other soft tissues. I think they brought it up in the article.
They did, but one would think that if it's not cold enough to hurt (as mentioned in the article), it can't be very cold. Hell, why not just go outside in the fall and lose all sorts of weight?
Regardless, unless they show some scientific proof that fat cells are actually dying, it's probably just a placebo effect for someone who is already trying to lose weight.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
They also said this:
The sub-zero temperatures cause the fat cells to die

Anything sub-zero wouldn't be within a window between skin and fat cell temperature susceptibility..

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
Yes but to achieve that temperature to kill the fat cells then they have to overcome the insulating effects of the skin. To do this the temp differential has to be significant.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Yes but to achieve that temperature to kill the fat cells then they have to overcome the insulating effects of the skin. To do this the temp differential has to be significant.
I agree. I can't see this working unless "cooling", rather than freezing the fat actually works.

stop bringing logic and reason into a way to make money off of weight loss!
Fatties dream of a pill or gimmick to fix their failure. Actually doing what's needed is against everything a fatty is used to.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
How about you just stop eating like a fucking pig?
To be fair, this procedure isn't intended for fatties. It's for spot removing fat. As in, someone who has lost just about all the weight but can't quite get rid of the bunt.