Cop goes on rampage, killing at least 5

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/07/wisconsin.shooting/index.html

(CNN) -- At least five people were killed early Sunday morning in a shooting rampage in northern Wisconsin. The shooter -- a county sheriff's deputy -- was later shot and killed, according to the Oconto County Sheriff's department, WTMJ Newsradio reports.

Crandon Police Chief John Dennee would not confirm that the suspect was dead, but he told the Associated Press, "We're not looking for anybody anymore."

He would not give further comment about the shooting.

"It's a pretty tragic situation here," said Forest County Supervisor Tom Vollmar, who lives just outside Crandon, Wisconsin, where the people were killed. "There are five or six people dead."

At least two of the victims were Crandon high school students, WTMJ told CNN.

CNN affiliate WLUK reported that one of the victims was the assailant's girlfriend.

WLUK said the shooter was an off-duty sheriff's deputy who worked for Forest County, Wisconsin.

Messages seeking comment were left with the sheriff's office.

The neighborhood where the rampage happened was blocked off, Vollmar said.

The northeast Wisconsin city of about 2,000 people is about 225 miles north of Milwaukee. The area is known for logging, and fishing, hunting and snowmobiling.

"We are going to get together and be strong," Crandon Mayor Gary Bradley told the AP. "We are a strong community. We always have been. This is agonizing, but we will prevail

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
WLUK said the shooter was an off-duty sheriff's deputy who worked for Forest County, Wisconsin.
One bullet can do a lot of damage.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
I thought the news mentioned some kind of teen house party he shot up.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
Normal thought, normal thought, normal thought, Snap! Kill, kill, kill…

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
UPDATE: Suspected Gunman Killed After Shooting 6 in Forest County

By The Associated Press

The suspected gunman in a shooting rampage in far northern Wisconsin has been killed, reportedly by a sniper's bullet, according to Crandon Mayor Gary Bradley.

As many as six people were killed early this morning in a shooting rampage in Crandon, Wisconsin. The suspect is reportedly with the Forest County Sheriff's Department.

A witness says just before 3 am gunfire erupted at a home in Crandon. A witness says 10 area youths between 17 and 20 were at the home, and one suspect, the law enforcement officer, fired all the shots. At least two of the victims are said to be high school students.

"This has been a very tragic evening," said Forest County Supervisor Tom Vollmar. "It's affected probably every family in this community."

The whole neighborhood was still on lockdown today. It was not immediately confirmed what sparked this shooting.

"Nobody expected anything like this," Vollmar said. "I guess nobody anywhere ever does."

The victims included Crandon High School students, recent graduates and the ex-girlfriend of the suspect, said Karly Johnson, 16.

She said she knew the suspect and he helped her in a tech education class.

"He graduated with my brother," she said. "He was nice. He was an average guy. Normal. You wouldn't think he could do that."

Jenna Bradley, 16, said she was told about 10 people were at a party at the ex-girlfriend's apartment at the time of the shooting. She said she was shocked.

"It's Crandon. Nothing happens in Crandon, ever," she said.

Justin Tokarczyk, 17, said he was angry that someone in law enforcement was involved.

"You figured he would be here for safety," Tokarczyk said. "I don't know how anybody could think about doing that."

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
no more boom boom for mama san

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
At least no one has to ask how he got the gun; cops need to carry guns.
Somehow this tragedy is going to be used by both sides of the gun issue to advance their cause. It's just one of those random mass murders that happen in America, but since he had 2 jobs in law enforcement this is going to be in the news for a long time.
And at least one person is going to suggest that if those at the ex-girlfriend's house had been armed, they could have shot Peterson before he shot everyone else.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
"Only police and military should have guns..."

A week on the job and he couldn't handle his shit, just great.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
At least no one has to ask how he got the gun; cops need to carry guns.
Somehow this tragedy is going to be used by both sides of the gun issue to advance their cause. It's just one of those random mass murders that happen in America, but since he had 2 jobs in law enforcement this is going to be in the news for a long time.
And at least one person is going to suggest that if those at the ex-girlfriend's house had been armed, they could have shot Peterson before he shot everyone else.
You don't think this says something about the screening process to decide who gets the guns and the legal power to use them?

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
You don't think this says something about the screening process to decide who gets the guns and the legal power to use them?
Not really. If he had burned the house down instead, would you call for a screening on gasoline purchases?

I bet you that absolutely nothing about this dude would have set off any flags for anyone at all.

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Not really. If he had burned the house down instead, would you call for a screening on gasoline purchases?

I bet you that absolutely nothing about this dude would have set off any flags for anyone at all.
Thank you captain obvious. Yeah, nothing set off any flags until he took his police issued firearms and blew away a bunch of people.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
Thank you captain obvious. Yeah, nothing set off any flags until he took his police issued firearms and blew away a bunch of people.

Better check that twist in your panties, they're getting a little tight.

You made a comment about the screening process, I'm just telling you that nothing probably would have shown up in even a more stringent test.

Sometimes people just snap.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
Deputy Who Killed 6 Was Never Screened

http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20071008/4709ab40_3ca6_1552620071008-124617865

Deputy Who Killed 6 Was Never Screened
October 08, 2007 6:34 PM EDT

CRANDON, Wis. - A young sheriff's deputy who opened fire on a pizza party and killed six people reportedly flew into a rage when he was rebuffed by his old girlfriend, and others at the gathering called him a "worthless pig."

A longtime friend told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Monday that 20-year-old Tyler Peterson came to his door in the hours after the rampage and calmly explained what he had done.

"He wasn't running around crazy or anything. He was very, very sorry for what he did," Mike Kegley told the newspaper, adding that he gave Peterson coffee and food and later called 911.

Peterson told Kegley that he had gone to his ex-girlfriend's house early Sunday morning in hopes of patching up the relationship after a recent breakup. But, he said, Peterson lost control when the meeting ended in an argument and other people started ridiculing him as a "worthless pig."

Kegley declined to comment when reached by The Associated Press.

Police, who declined to provide details of the argument, said Peterson stormed out, retrieved an AR-15 rifle from his car outside and burst back into the house firing 30 shots that killed all but one of the people at the party.

"We had no idea, obviously, that anything like this would ever occur," Crandon Police Chief John Dennee said at a news conference Monday.

Peterson, a deputy and part-time police officer, later died after exchanging gunfire with law enforcement officers. Whether Peterson was shot by police or took his own life was unclear.

The rampage raised questions in the remote northern Wisconsin community of 2,000 about how Peterson could have met requirements to become a law enforcement officer, especially after police acknowledged Monday that Peterson received no psychological screening before he was hired.

Some questioned the wisdom of hiring someone so young.

"No person that I've ever known at 20 years old was responsible enough to be a police officer," said Steve Bocek, of Oak Creek, whose nephew Bradley Schultz was killed. "It's unbelievable. You don't have the mind to be a police officer. It takes a lot."

But Crandon city attorney Lindsay Erickson said age doesn't matter as long as officers do their jobs well. Peterson testified for her in several cases. He wrote good reports and was "true to his job," she said.

"From what I saw of him, I didn't see any warning signs or red flags," Erickson said.

Peterson was hired as full-time deputy sheriff on Sept. 11, 2006, at the age of 19, according to personnel records released by the Forest County clerk. His yearlong probation ended last month.

Dr. Phil Trompetter, a police psychologist in Modesto, Calif., estimated at least 80 percent of states require psychological testing of prospective officers.

"Wisconsin must be in a very small minority of states," he said.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice Law Enforcement Standards Board requires only that applicants be free of any emotional or mental condition that might hinder them in their duties. It does not say how that is determined.

No formal national standards exist for hiring police, although individual states are adopting requirements such as mandatory psychological tests, said Craig Zendzian, author of several guidebooks for police applicants.

In Minnesota, for example, police officers must be licensed by the state Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training - a process that includes an evaluation by a licensed psychologist.

At the news conference, which gave the most detailed explanation yet of the shooting, the police chief said Peterson and the young woman had been in a relationship for a few years.

"They had broken up and gone back and forth," Dennee said.

After the attack, in phone conversations with the police chief and others, Peterson identified himself as the shooter, authorities said.

The rifle used in the shootings is the type used by the sheriff's department, but investigators had not confirmed whether the gun came from law enforcement.

The six young people killed in the rampage were either students or graduates of Crandon High School. They were at the house to share pizza and watch movies during the school's homecoming weekend. Classes were canceled Monday, and many teens went to a church to meet with counselors.

The other victims were identified as Jordanne Murray, who was believed to be the girlfriend; Katrina McCorkle; Leanna Thomas; Aaron Smith; and Lindsey Stahl. Autopsies were scheduled to be completed Monday, but results were not immediately available.

Schultz, 20, was a third-year criminal justice major at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee who hoped to be a homicide detective. He was home visiting friends and appeared to have died trying to protect one.

"We still don't have many details, but from what they've told us, there was a girl next to him and he was covering her, protecting her," said an aunt, Sharon Pisarek, as she sobbed. "He was loved by everybody. He was everybody's son. Senseless."

The lone survivor, Charlie Neitzel, 21, of Pickerel, was upgraded to serious condition and was improving Monday at a hospital.

Pastor Bill Farr read a statement from Peterson's family in which relatives expressed their shock and sorrow.

"Our hearts go out to the victims, their families and their friends. We are grieving for your losses. We feel a tremendous amount of guilt and shame for the acts Tyler committed," it said.

It continued: "We may never receive the answers we all seek. Like those close to Tyler we are in shock and disbelief that he would do such terrible things. This was not the Tyler we knew and loved."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
so this was over a piece of ass. end of story

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Dr. Phil Trompetter, a police psychologist in Modesto, Calif., estimated at least 80 percent of states require psychological testing of prospective officers.

"Wisconsin must be in a very small minority of states," he said.

10 state's isn't exactly a "very small" minority.

Dr. Phil says to replace something, with something. Try replacing six peoples brains with some, well, you figure it out officer.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Anyone who would want to be a cop has to have a screw loose somewhere. Who would want to deal with criminals all day, putting your life on the line for almost no money?

Thats why the job attracts gung-ho asshole types, and people seeking power but not having the brains to come by the power in any way except to exert legal leverage over people. It's a profession no one likes, but everyone needs.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Fuck it, shit happens sometimes. Crazy boyfriend just happened to be a cop. Cop or bus boy he still would have done this.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I bet the kids thought they were sooooo cool, maaaaaan. Calling him a "worthless pig." That'll teach them to respect the...oh, wait, never mind. :)

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
But then they'd have been a "cop killer" right? We have to understand that police officers are better people than any of the rest of us could ever be and they decide how things are going to go down.

...stupid fuck. The kid was a douche bag with no sense. I have been pissed off at people TERRIBLY and Ive been insulted to where I wanted to physically harm the offending party(by beating them) but I have NEVER thought to go get a firearm and go back and kill the person.

I just don't think other people are worth having my life taken away over. And people call me a "gun nut" because I have a decent collection but I'm not out wanting to kill people from being mad.

And these dumb fucks give the rest of us gun owners a bad reputation. But hey, at least this kid has maybe made some people question if they're sure only cops should be given firearms.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20071009/470afcc0_3ca6_1552620071009118704281

Wis. AG: Deputy Shot Himself 3 Times

October 09, 2007 4:58 PM EDT

CRANDON, Wis. - An off-duty sheriff's deputy who killed six people apparently shot himself three times, with the last shot hitting him in the right side of the head, the state attorney general said Tuesday.

Tyler Peterson, 20, shot himself twice under the chin, while the third and fatal shot entered the right side of his head, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said. Peterson also was shot once in the left biceps from a distance.

The six people who died were either students or recent graduates of Crandon High School, where Peterson also had graduated. They were at the house to share pizza and watch movies during the school's homecoming weekend when Peterson attacked early Sunday.

The lone survivor was scheduled for surgery Tuesday afternoon.
Peterson died near a friend's home in Argonne.

Van Hollen said Peterson went to Jordanne Murray's home about 2 a.m. and argued with her after accusing her of dating someone else. Murray demanded Peterson leave, and he did, only to return with an AR-15 rifle.

"He didn't speak, he simply opened fire," Van Hollen said.

Investigators found three bodies on or next to a couch - Lindsey Stahl, 14; Aaron Smith, 20, and Bradley Schultz, 20. Murray, 18, was found in the kitchen.

Lianna Thomas, 18, was found in a closet, and Katrina McCorkle, 18, was just outside it. Both had apparently been trying to hide, Van Hollen said.

The last person shot was survivor Charlie Neitzel, 21, of Pickerel. He pleaded with Peterson after the first shot, only to have him fire again, Van Hollen said.

Neitzel fell to the floor, where he lay still as Peterson fired a third time.

"Playing dead until Peterson left, Neitzel survived," Van Hollen said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.