Cop Who Executed Oscar Grant Set Free After 11 Months

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Killer cop released after 11 months

Less than a year after going behind bars, the San Francisco, California police officer convicted of killing an unarmed man from point-blank range has been released from prison.

Bay Area Rapid Transit Police Officer Johannes Mehserle was sentenced in July 2010 for involuntary manslaughter after fatally shooting 22-year-old Oscar Grant on an Oakland train platform on New Year’s Day 2009. At 12:01 Monday morning, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said he was freed.

Mehserle claims he mistook his gun for his Taser when he fired a shot at Grant, who lay facedown at the train station. Hundreds of protesters rallied against Mehserle’s sentencing of only two years back in July. Around 200 marchers gathered peacefully on Sunday night to show their dismay over the officer’s release. Mehserle served only 11 months of his two year sentence.

According to the Associated Press, Daryl Johnson, Grant’s uncle, said at Sunday’s protest, "A crime was committed, but it wasn't paid for. This needs to stop and the only way it's going to stop is if we stand together."

Marching from the Fruitvale BART station where Grant was gunned down, protesters on Sunday demonstrated with signs displaying messages ranging from “Justice for Oscar Grant” to "Jail killer cops.” Grant’s relatives were notified of Mehserle’s release late last week, which family member Cephus Johnson said was a reflection of "the total injustice that we received," reports the San Francisco Chronicle.

Grant’s execution gained national attention after a cell-phone video of the incident was posted to the Internet. Following his sentencing last year, 152 protestors were arrested for what Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts described as "tearing up the city." Mehserle was originally placed on paid leave before resigning from the force.
The execution from a new angle.

[video=youtube;ZKKQ-gzc_Yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKKQ-gzc_Yw&feature=player_embedded#at=129[/video]

Cops can execute a man in public at point blank range and only do 11 months. Imagine if a civilian did the same thing? There would be calls for civilian gun bans and the killer would have gotten a lot more than 11 months. But because its a god that did it he gets out in less than a year.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
For the record, I'm 100% on Kurt's side on this one. All jokes aside. This shit is fucking disgusting and the cop should be doing 25-life just like any other citizen.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Reverse the first two words of the post, and the guy would be on a table with a needle in his arm.

So, any bets on who is going to excuse this one?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Is that the new standard for murder in California? 95% off for good behavior?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
When this story first made headlines, I believed the cop. Not even a racist asshole power hungry cop would shoot someone at point blank range in front of dozens of eye witnesses and cameras. It was negligence of the worst kind, but to say he "executed" that guy is retarded. He still should have done more time, though.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Have you seen the video? That's exactly what he did.
You mean the video where he shoots the guy, and then the two cops just stand there shocked for a good 10 seconds while the shooter grabs his head like he can't believe it? Yeah, I saw it, and that's why I believed the cop. The platform is full of people catcalling and yelling at the cops. Do you really think they would intentionally pull a gun and shoot him in that situation? Come on... If this was a dark ally, and they were being secretly taped, I would have absolutely agreed with you.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
You mean the video where he shoots the guy, and then the two cops just stand there shocked for a good 10 seconds while the shooter grabs his head like he can't believe it? Yeah, I saw it, and that's why I believed the cop. The platform is full of people catcalling and yelling at the cops. Do you really think they would intentionally pull a gun and shoot him in that situation? Come on... If this was a dark ally, and they were being secretly taped, I would have absolutely agreed with you.
I know if I were standing on a busy platform, and I just so happened to be holding a gun to someone's back as it "accidentally discharged", I would probably do more than 2 years.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I know if I were standing on a busy platform, and the gun I just happened to be holding against someone's back as it "accidentally discharged", I would probably do more than 2 years.
That's not what happened. He reached back into his belt and pulled the gun instead of the taser (or, at least that is what he claimed happened). And read my first post - I also think he should have done more time regardless. Just because it was negligence doesn't mean you shouldn't get SEVERELY punished.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Looks like aspartame and fluoride abuse claims yet another victim. Stupid sheeple.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
Simply put, whether he meant to pull a taser or a gun, the fact is he pulled a gun. He should be much more aware than that. He should have gotten 10 years for manslaughter. Cop or no, once a perp is on the ground the time for force is over. Then it's time for the cuffs, not the taser. And of course, this dude pulled the gun. Who doesn't check to see what the fuck he's pointing?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
That's not what happened. He reached back into his belt and pulled the gun instead of the taser (or, at least that is what he claimed happened). And read my first post - I also think he should have done more time regardless. Just because it was negligence doesn't mean you shouldn't get SEVERELY punished.
I was expecting this sort of denial from one of our resident cop ball lickers, but you should know better. He knew damn well what he was doing. He snapped and shot the guy in the head. If the taser story were true, why in the head? One doesn't taser a suspect in the head.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I was expecting this sort of denial from one of our resident cop ball lickers, but you should know better. He knew damn well what he was doing. He snapped and shot the guy in the head. If the taser story were true, why in the head? One doesn't taser a suspect in the head.
I dunno, Don. I am by no means a Thin Blue Line guy, but I remember when this story first hit, and reading about it then, I just got the feeling that he was being truthful. He could have easily said his gun just went off. Why go for the much weirder "I tried to pull my Taser"? Sounds like a guy who isn't trying to cover up for himself, but just saying what happened. It was the worst kind of negligence, and someone died because of it, but I still find it VERY hard to believe that he just snapped and killed a guy in front of dozens of witnesses.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
No but he's posting RT.com links, which is an English based Russian news organization that is funded by the Kremlin. It's anti-American and anti-Western on everything.
And FOX is funded by Saudi muslims but you take what they say as the gospel and MSNBC is funded by the federal reserve (private bank) and you believe everything they say. And by "you" I mean all the yuppies. There is more truth on RT than on fox or msnbc.

“In a free society we’re supposed to know the truth, In a society where truth becomes treason, then we’re in big trouble. And now, people who are revealing the truth are getting into trouble for it.” - Ron Paul

Yuppies think the truth is anti American.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Ooh, Ron Paul quotes! Let me give it a crack:

"The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. On the contrary, our Founders’ political views were strongly informed by their religious beliefs." — Ron Paul

Wait... Ron Paul? Supporting something unconstitutional?!?!?! Kirk head assplode.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Ooh, Ron Paul quotes! Let me give it a crack:

"The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. On the contrary, our Founders’ political views were strongly informed by their religious beliefs." — Ron Paul

Wait... Ron Paul? Supporting something unconstitutional?!?!?! Kirk head assplode.
Lets finish that quote....

Certainly the drafters of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, both replete with references to God, would be aghast at the federal government's hostility to religion. The establishment clause of the First Amendment was simply intended to forbid the creation of an official state church like the Church of England, not to drive religion out of public life.

He also said...

"Through perverse court decisions and years of cultural indoctrination, the elitist, secular Left has managed to convince many in our nation that religion must be driven from public view. The justification is always that someone, somewhere, might possibly be offended or feel uncomfortable living in the midst of a largely Christian society, so all must yield to the fragile sensibilities of the few. The ultimate goal of the anti-religious elites is to transform America into a completely secular nation, a nation that is legally and culturally biased against Christianity.

This growing bias explains why many of our wonderful Christmas traditions have been lost. Christmas pageants and plays, including Handel's Messiah, have been banned from schools and community halls. Nativity scenes have been ordered removed from town squares, and even criticized as offensive when placed on private church lawns. Office Christmas parties have become taboo, replaced by colorless seasonal parties to ensure no employees feel threatened by a “hostile environment.” Even wholly non-religious decorations featuring Santa Claus, snowmen, and the like have been called into question as Christmas symbols that might cause discomfort. Earlier this month, firemen near Chicago reluctantly removed Christmas decorations from their firehouse after a complaint by some embittered busybody. Most noticeably, however, the once commonplace refrain of “Merry Christmas” has been replaced by the vague, ubiquitous “Happy Holidays.” But what holiday? Is Christmas some kind of secret, a word that cannot be uttered in public? Why have we allowed the secularists to intimidate us into downplaying our most cherished and meaningful Christian celebration?"

The founders clearly never meant for the first to forbid fire fighters from hanging up decorations that say Merry Christmas.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
The irony of you having absolute faith in RT.com and calling everyone else un-American is priceless. And enough with the "yuppies" bit. Just say sheeple, it's cuter.
But you guys get offended when I say sheeple. The reason you get offended is because you know its true. If you really thought it was BS you wouldn't get angry and start crying.