Cops in Dallas are Ass Holes

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
So I'm on my phone so I can't post a story, but I just saw on ESPN's news feed that DeShaun Stephenson was arrested for a PI last night.

So here's a hometown hero, the night after he has a great game to close out the NBA finals celebrating, and the cops down here arrest him for a bullshit misdemeanor.

He might have been being a prick, he might have deserved it, I havn't read a story, if someone could post it I'd appreciate it, but it's fucking infuriating from what I've seen so far.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
From this article, it doesn't really sound like they were being dicks...

IRVING, Texas — Dallas Mavericks guard DeShawn Stevenson has been arrested for public intoxication.

Police in suburban Irving say Stevenson was arrested Tuesday night after reports of an intoxicated person walking through the grounds of an apartment complex. Police say Stevenson didn't know where he was and he was arrested after field sobriety tests.

He was released from jail Wednesday morning after posting bail. Mavericks spokeswoman Sarah Melton said Wednesday the team had no comment on the arrest.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...evenson-arrested-for-public-intoxication.html

justifyyourgarb

You drab South Bend cocksuckers are all the same.
Mar 15, 2007
Greatest tat in America.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I hate the concept of a public intoxication law. If there are no other crimes being committed along with it, who gives a shit?

Poison The Well

Somebody poisoned the water-hole!
Jan 7, 2008
Texas
You've never had a drunk banging on your door at 3 in the morning. I'm not saying this gentleman was, but it's happened to me. And that motherfucker was lucky he didn't get shot. Had he somehow managed to get into my residence because he was drunk and didn't know where he was, he WOULD have been shot. PI isn't about poster-boying drunks, it's about stopping people from having horrid shit happen to them.

By horrid shit, I mean getting killed, robbed, etc.

And, VT, home-town heroes aren't above the law.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I hate the concept of a public intoxication law. If there are no other crimes being committed along with it, who gives a shit?
there have been drunk tanks since there have been drunks. you take your 50$ fine and night in jail and go on your way like a traffic ticket. i hate to use the excuse "its for your own good law" but it kind of is. people get so drunk and or OD all the time and just die, if your really that fucked up and you have no friends to care for you, you can die. consider it a public service.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
You've never had a drunk banging on your door at 3 in the morning. I'm not saying this gentleman was, but it's happened to me. And that motherfucker was lucky he didn't get shot. Had he somehow managed to get into my residence because he was drunk and didn't know where he was, he WOULD have been shot. PI isn't about poster-boying drunks, it's about stopping people from having horrid shit happen to them.

Again, if there's another crime being committed, such as breaking and entering, then by all means arrest them and charge them with that. Public intoxication is one of those all-encompassing laws that I fucking hate. Sure they may occasionally arrest someone who might commit another crime later, but for a large percentage of the time people only charged with public intoxication weren't doing anything else wrong.

There's no reason to arrest a kid walking home from the bars who might be stumbling a little. We already have laws that cover all the bad shit someone could do while drunk in public, so if they commit a crime arrest them for it. This whole mentality of arresting them proactively is completely against our justice system.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
there have been drunk tanks since there have been drunks. you take your 50$ fine and night in jail and go on your way like a traffic ticket. i hate to use the excuse "its for your own good law" but it kind of is. people get so drunk and or OD all the time and just die, if your really that fucked up and you have no friends to care for you, you can die. consider it a public service.
I know it's a common and old law, I just disagree with it. It's also considered a misdemeanor in most states and with the absence of any other crimes in my opinion should be an infraction at most. I've gone to the drunk tank once and the cops didn't charge me with anything, just made me stay the night and let me go in the morning... that I don't really have a problem with.

In this article he had to post fucking bail for a public intoxication charge. Again, absent of any other charges or some obnoxious behavior that seems very excessive.

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas
Again, if there's another crime being committed, such as breaking and entering, then by all means arrest them and charge them with that. Public intoxication is one of those all-encompassing laws that I fucking hate. Sure they may occasionally arrest someone who might commit another crime later, but for a large percentage of the time people only charged with public intoxication weren't doing anything else wrong.

There's no reason to arrest a kid walking home from the bars who might be stumbling a little. We already have laws that cover all the bad shit someone could do while drunk in public, so if they commit a crime arrest them for it. This whole mentality of arresting them proactively is completely against our justice system.
So you're opinion on stopping serious crimes before they have the opportunity to occur is that it's stupid? Okay, think about this. Say a cop does role up on a drunk stumbling home. The cop calls it in, gets the guys identification, gets it on record that he did in fact stop this drunk, but then decides that he's going to let the guy go. But once the guy is let loose by the cop, gets into his car when he gets home because he's wants some fuckin' Wendy's and kills someone. Yes, this story is completely hypothetical. But do you think ANY cop worth his badge is going to take the risk of some shit like that happening? Because then people will want the cop strung up for letting the drunk go when he should have arrested him.

PI isn't a life ruining charge. They make sure you are safe for the night and guarantee that you will go home in the morning. I don't think it's really unjust or unreasonable to prevent crimes from potentially happening since you can never really trust what a drunk is going to do.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I actually have had that happen, but either way you're making a LOT of assumptions dude.

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas
I know it's a common and old law, I just disagree with it. It's also considered a misdemeanor in most states and with the absence of any other crimes in my opinion should be an infraction at most. I've gone to the drunk tank once and the cops didn't charge me with anything, just made me stay the night and let me go in the morning... that I don't really have a problem with.

In this article he had to post fucking bail for a public intoxication charge. Again, absent of any other charges or some obnoxious behavior that seems very excessive.
Posting bail guarantees that he shows up to court. Anyone who gets a PI in the state of Texas has to go to court for it, it's not like he's not getting the same treatment you or I would get.

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas
I actually have had that happen, but either way you're making a LOT of assumptions dude.
I actually meant that as a question but didn't put the ole '?' so no assumptions on my part, sir. Just a typo. Lo siento, mucho.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002

the bail could have been nothing more than 1$, trust me there is nothing more i hate than giving the cops an excuse to fuck you but having delt with them on these kinds of issues its not all that bad and a necessary part of a "law abiding" society, about 50% of the police calls my buddies get are alcohol or drug related in some way if not more. if not the actual possession of in the case of drugs, or the result of consuming either in excess.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
We already have laws that cover all the bad shit someone could do while drunk in public, so if they commit a crime arrest them for it. This whole mentality of arresting them proactively is completely against our justice system.
Fucking thank you! I am so tired of this shit. Take DUI for example (and yes I know I am going to piss people off by saying this), it is already illegal to run someone over, speed, swerve all over the road, cause a wreck, roll through a stop sign, turn without signalling, and otherwise do anything but drive responsibly, so why does it matter why I am doing any of those things? Is it better if I run someone over when I am perfectly sober? Punishing the cause of the crime makes no sense. It's like making getting angry illegal since most murders happen when someone is angry.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Holy shit this. I'm too tired to do my normal thing in this thread tonight, but until I return I chose WhiskeyGuy as my fucking champion. He's saying everything I woul say, but I'll add more mañana.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
the bail could have been nothing more than 1$, trust me there is nothing more i hate than giving the cops an excuse to fuck you but having delt with them on these kinds of issues its not all that bad and a necessary part of a "law abiding" society, about 50% of the police calls my buddies get are alcohol or drug related in some way if not more. if not the actual possession of in the case of drugs, or the result of consuming either in excess.
Bail for a PI in Irving is 750$, period. This was only a cash grab.

I know it seemed silly that there was such an uproar when the Cowboys left Irving for Arlington, but this seriously a bi-product of that.

There's more going on down here than you guys know. This is a very volatile metroplex.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Bail for a PI in Irving is 750$, period. This was only a cash grab.
How is it a cash grab? Do you think DeShawn is going to skip on bail?

And you guys are unbelievable. How fucked up would it be for the headlines read the next day that a new NBA champion got fucked up and crashed his car, not to mention if he hurt or killed someone. If he's that fucked up to where he's stumbling around an apartment complex to where he doesn't even know how he got there they did him a HUGE favor and I'll bet he thanks them for it in the morning.

Other cases of PI can be bullshit (like when Christina Aguilera got popped a couple months ago) but this is not one of those cases.

MonkeyTits

Jun 20, 2005
Am I the only person who's been picked up for PI and when the officer found out my address, gave me a ride home instead?

Aug 11, 2005
They maybe assholes but you can drive as fast as you want on the freeways highways whatever, they are none existent

phillyfranko

Jun 1, 2010
south of philly
They maybe assholes but you can drive as fast as you want on the freeways highways whatever, they are none existent
Yeah i stayed and drove in Texas about 5 different times in last 25 years or so...I was told ...Keep with the flow/speed of traffic,60 to 90 mph on a packed freeway is normal...do NOT give someone the finger if they cut you off etc...most carry loaded guns and will shoot your azz...I-35 was a cocaine/drug pipeline,be careful there....Cops were cool to me...dont get drunk and drive or wander in public drunk/wasted...Not that hard.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Fucking thank you! I am so tired of this shit. Take DUI for example (and yes I know I am going to piss people off by saying this), it is already illegal to run someone over, speed, swerve all over the road, cause a wreck, roll through a stop sign, turn without signalling, and otherwise do anything but drive responsibly, so why does it matter why I am doing any of those things? Is it better if I run someone over when I am perfectly sober? Punishing the cause of the crime makes no sense. It's like making getting angry illegal since most murders happen when someone is angry.
Yeah, and while we're talking about it, it's kind of bullshit that I can't go into the street and shoot my guns, man. I mean - It's only a fucking crime if someone gets shot, right? It's already illegal to kill someone. Why does it matter how they died? Is it better if I just beat them to death with a shovel?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Funny. They beat it into your head not to drink and drive. So you don't
and you still get busted? That's horse shit. If they wanna say it's for your
own safety then they should either hold you til you sober up and release
you with out all this fines and bail crap or find someone responsible to
turn you over to. A $750 fine really is just a cash grab.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
No one gets arrested for PI unless they are causing a problem, even if they are not actually breaking a law.

If you can't hold your liquor it's your own damn fault.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
And you guys are unbelievable. How fucked up would it be for the headlines read the next day that a new NBA champion got fucked up and crashed his car, not to mention if he hurt or killed someone. If he's that fucked up to where he's stumbling around an apartment complex to where he doesn't even know how he got there they did him a HUGE favor and I'll bet he thanks them for it in the morning.
Again, proactive arrest. The cops are assuming there is going to be a problem if the only charge is public intoxication. If they want to make it a "rider" (or whatever word you want, it's early) on another charge (such as assault while intoxicated, etc) then fine by me. However, making it a crime to possibly commit a crime later is bullshit.

If he really was in a position that he couldn't car for himself, throw him in the drunk tank and let him go the next morning. No bail, no charge. What happened to collect and serve. Like VT said, it's probably a cash grab... not because of the bail but because of the fine that will be associated with the charge.

Am I the only person who's been picked up for PI and when the officer found out my address, gave me a ride home instead?
Nope, that's happened a couple of times for me. Usually I wasn't that drunk, just the only one walking home on the street at 3 am or whatever (everyone around here drives drunk, I stopped doing that five years ago) and they wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any stupid shit.

Funny. They beat it into your head not to drink and drive. So you don't
and you still get busted? That's horse shit. If they wanna say it's for your
own safety then they should either hold you til you sober up and release
you with out all this fines and bail crap or find someone responsible to
turn you over to. A $750 fine really is just a cash grab.
This. I've told a cop that before when he asked me why I was out drunk so late... I was walking home so I wouldn't drive drunk. In a town like mine that doesn't have any cabs I don't really have any other choice, and since my buddies lived six or seven blocks from the bars we would walk back to their place often. It takes 15 or so minutes to walk that distance... plenty of time to catch the attention of a cop. It takes less than five minutes to drive it, so if they keep hassling people who are walking they are going to start driving drunk instead.